print sombrero in portrait - a hassle? (fltk)

print sombrero in portrait - a hassle? (fltk)

Muhali
I may be missing something, but I have never managed to get sombrero printed in portrait in an easy way, using fltk. What I do is this:

octave> set(gcf, "paperposition", [2.5  0.25 6  8])
octave> set(gcf, "position", [818   162   380 560])
octave> sombrero
octave> print foo.png

Everything simpler results in a distorted figure. I am sure there are simpler ways, aren't they?

M.

Re: print sombrero in portrait - a hassle? (fltk)

bpabbott
Administrator
On Feb 2, 2012, at 1:18 PM, Muhali wrote:

> I may be missing something, but I have never managed to get sombrero printed
> in portrait in an easy way, using fltk. What I do is this:
>
> octave> set(gcf, "paperposition", [2.5  0.25 6  8])
> octave> set(gcf, "position", [818   162   380 560])
> octave> sombrero
> octave> print foo.png
>
> Everything simpler results in a distorted figure. I am sure there are
> simpler ways, aren't they?
>
> M.

I think you've found a bug.

Using gnuplot, the example below gives me two plots what are each the correct size.

close all
graphics_toolkit fltk
orient landscape
sombrero
print foo.png
print ("bar.png", sprintf ("-S%d,%d", 6*150, 8*150))

With fltk, the first is correct, but the 2nd is not. Does this example duplicate what you see ?

I've filed a bug report.

Ben

Re: print sombrero in portrait - a hassle? (fltk)

Muhali
> Using gnuplot, the example below gives me two plots what are each the correct size.
>
> close all
> graphics_toolkit fltk
> orient landscape
> sombrero
> print foo.png
> print ("bar.png", sprintf ("-S%d,%d", 6*150, 8*150))
>
> With fltk, the first is correct, but the 2nd is not. Does this example duplicate what you see ?

Yes, although I'm not quite sure what to make of the 'orient landscape' part. I am always confused about octave's use of the portrait/landscape language, which to me is just the other way round (that is, you are actually aiming at a portrait, not a landscape plot here).

M.

On Feb 2, 2012, at 3:19 PM, Muhali wrote:

>> Using gnuplot, the example below gives me two plots what are each the
> correct size.
>>
>> close all
>> graphics_toolkit fltk
>> orient landscape
>> sombrero
>> print foo.png
>> print ("bar.png", sprintf ("-S%d,%d", 6*150, 8*150))
>>
>> With fltk, the first is correct, but the 2nd is not. Does this example
>> duplicate what you see ?
>
> Yes, although I'm not quite sure what to make of the 'orient landscape'
> part. I am always confused about octave's use of the portrait/landscape
> language, which to me is just the other way round (that is, you are actually
> aiming at a portrait, not a landscape plot here).
>
> M.

Orientation refers to the entier page / paper.

Ironically, using portrait results in a png that has a landscape aspect ratio (and vice versa)

It looks to me as if the behavior of the backend has been changing in the last week. I thought this was working correctly 1-2 weeks ago.

Ben