remote: Permission denied when trying to push

remote: Permission denied when trying to push

bpabbott
Administrator
I attempted to push a changeset to enable Java support on macOS, but encountered "remote: Permission denied”

Its been some time since I pushed a change so perhaps my permissions have been curtailed?

In any event, the changeset is attached.

Ben

changeset.patch (4K) Download Attachment

Re: remote: Permission denied when trying to push

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Jan 13, 2018, at 10:53 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I attempted to push a changeset to enable Java support on macOS, but encountered "remote: Permission denied”
>
> Its been some time since I pushed a change so perhaps my permissions have been curtailed?
>
> In any event, the changeset is attached.
>
> Ben
>
> <changeset.patch>

hmmm … maybe I’m just having a firewall problem. I’ll try later when I’m at home.

Ben

On Jan 13, 2018, at 11:06 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 13, 2018, at 10:53 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

I attempted to push a changeset to enable Java support on macOS, but encountered "remote: Permission denied”

Its been some time since I pushed a change so perhaps my permissions have been curtailed?

In any event, the changeset is attached.

Ben

<changeset.patch>

hmmm … maybe I’m just having a firewall problem. I’ll try later when I’m at home.

Ben

Nope. Something is wrong.

hg push <a href="ssh://bpabbott@hg.sv.gnu.org/octave" class="">ssh://bpabbott@.../octave
pushing to <a href="ssh://bpabbott@hg.sv.gnu.org/octave" class="">ssh://bpabbott@.../octave
[hidden email]'s password:
[hidden email]'s password:
remote: Permission denied, please try again.
remote: Received disconnect from 208.118.235.201 port 22:2: Too many authentication failures for bpabbott
remote: Disconnected from 208.118.235.201 port 22
abort: no suitable response from remote hg!

Ben

Re: remote: Permission denied when trying to push

Torsten-3
On 14.01.2018 00:47, Ben Abbott wrote:

>> On Jan 13, 2018, at 11:06 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 13, 2018, at 10:53 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I attempted to push a changeset to enable Java support on macOS, but
>>> encountered "remote: Permission denied”
>>>
>>> Its been some time since I pushed a change so perhaps my permissions
>>> have been curtailed?
>>>
>>> In any event, the changeset is attached.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> <changeset.patch>
>>
>> hmmm … maybe I’m just having a firewall problem. I’ll try later when
>> I’m at home.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Nope. Something is wrong.
>
> hg push ssh://[hidden email]/octave
> pushing to ssh://[hidden email]/octave
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>'s password:
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>'s password:
> remote: Permission denied, please try again.
> remote: Received disconnect from 208.118.235.201 port 22:2: Too many
> authentication failures for bpabbott
> remote: Disconnected from 208.118.235.201 port 22
> abort: no suitable response from remote hg!
>
> Ben

The remote host is asking for your password although you are connecting
via ssh where authentication should be handled via a private/public key
pair. Maybe you have to load your private key via ssh-add before pushing.

Torsten

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

I attempted to push a changeset to enable Java support on macOS, but
encountered "remote: Permission denied”

Its been some time since I pushed a change so perhaps my permissions
have been curtailed?

In any event, the changeset is attached.

Ben

<changeset.patch>

hmmm … maybe I’m just having a firewall problem. I’ll try later when
I’m at home.

Ben

Nope. Something is wrong.

hg push <a href="ssh://bpabbott@hg.sv.gnu.org/octave" class="">ssh://bpabbott@.../octave
pushing to <a href="ssh://bpabbott@hg.sv.gnu.org/octave" class="">ssh://bpabbott@.../octave
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>'s password:
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>'s password:
remote: Permission denied, please try again.
remote: Received disconnect from 208.118.235.201 port 22:2: Too many
authentication failures for bpabbott
remote: Disconnected from 208.118.235.201 port 22
abort: no suitable response from remote hg!

Ben

The remote host is asking for your password although you are connecting
via ssh where authentication should be handled via a private/public key
pair. Maybe you have to load your private key via ssh-add before pushing.

Torsten

On the page below, I see I have two keys loaded

On my computer my key is loaded in ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub

The page below

indicates the keys should match, but mine do not. That is easy to fix with a copy-&-paste.

Now I’m able to push again.

Ben