rotate 3d graphics

thomas.l.scofield

I've not kept up on some of the graphics changes over the last 1-2 years in Octave and, frankly, have been confused about how to make them work on a Mac for some time.  That said, I am able to plot 2 and 3-D graphics just fine.  To make it so, I downloaded AquaTerm, and edited .bash_profile to include the line

  export DISPLAY=:0.0

This is ancient history, and perhaps having AquaTerm and the shell instruction are no longer necessary.  At any rate, in the current state, I cannot use a mouse nor arrows to rotate 3D graphics at all.  I came across a nabble entry that this feature has been available in Octave for quite some time, yet I only discovered it on a different computer's installation this past fall.  Nevertheless, I cannot get it to work on my computer.

I'm running Octave 3.2.3 (installed as a binary) on a Mac with OS 10.5.8, and the version of GnuPlot installed is

  gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 6

I presume the command

  octave-3.2.3:8> available_backends
  ans =

  {
    [1,1] = gnuplot
  }

indicates that gnuplot is being used.  My first plot of any session always causes AquaTerm to start up.

Thomas L. Scofield

Re: rotate 3d graphics

bpabbott
Administrator
On Feb 23, 2010, at 7:43 PM, Thomas Scofield wrote:

> I've not kept up on some of the graphics changes over the last 1-2 years in Octave and, frankly, have been confused about how to make them work on a Mac for some time.  That said, I am able to plot 2 and 3-D graphics just fine.  To make it so, I downloaded AquaTerm, and edited .bash_profile to include the line
>
>   export DISPLAY=:0.0
>
> This is ancient history, and perhaps having AquaTerm and the shell instruction are no longer necessary.  At any rate, in the current state, I cannot use a mouse nor arrows to rotate 3D graphics at all.  I came across a nabble entry that this feature has been available in Octave for quite some time, yet I only discovered it on a different computer's installation this past fall.  Nevertheless, I cannot get it to work on my computer.
>
> I'm running Octave 3.2.3 (installed as a binary) on a Mac with OS 10.5.8, and the version of GnuPlot installed is
>
>   gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 6
>
> I presume the command
>
>   octave-3.2.3:8> available_backends
>   ans =
>
>   {
>     [1,1] = gnuplot
>   }
>
> indicates that gnuplot is being used.  My first plot of any session always causes AquaTerm to start up.
>
> Thomas L. Scofield

To use mouse actions (rotating 3D plots for example) you'll need to use X11 instead of AquaTerm.

You can manage the switch to x11 by ...

        close all
        setenv ("GNUTERM", "x11")

After that all plots should use the x11 terminal.

Ben