solution for instrument-control, GPIB on windows.

solution for instrument-control, GPIB on windows.

Kire Pudsje
Hello all,

My boss is 'forcing' me to use Windows. This caused me to fix the instrument-toolbox on windows.
Initially I modified the Makefile, so it linked to the national instruments library.
After issues were raised by the maintainers about GPL and linking to a proprietary dll file, I now put instructions on the octave Wiki (https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package#Windows_.28cygwin.29) (Just posting here as well so it gets noticed, in case anyone is interested).
It was surprisingly easy, since the linux-gpib library was based on the national instruments library. The solutions is now the other way. On Windows, I now fake the linux-gpib library based on the national instruments library.

Re: solution for instrument-control, GPIB on windows.

Pantxo
Kire Pudsje wrote

> Hello all,
>
> My boss is 'forcing' me to use Windows. This caused me to fix the
> instrument-toolbox on windows.
> Initially I modified the Makefile, so it linked to the national
> instruments
> library.
> After issues were raised by the maintainers about GPL and linking to a
> proprietary dll file, I now put instructions on the octave Wiki (
> https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package#Windows_.28cygwin.29)
> (Just posting here as well so it gets noticed, in case anyone is
> interested).
> It was surprisingly easy, since the linux-gpib library was based on the
> national instruments library. The solutions is now the other way. On
> Windows, I now fake the linux-gpib library based on the national
> instruments library.

Thanks for the information.
Note that gpib, formerly hpib, is an open standard (ieee-488.2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE-488) so linux-gpib is not "based on
national instruments library", it simply implements the very same API.

Pantxo

Re: solution for instrument-control, GPIB on windows.

Pantxo

Thanks for the information.
Note that gpib, formerly hpib, is an open standard (ieee-488.2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE-488) so linux-gpib is not "based on
national instruments library", it simply implements the very same API.

Pantxo

Not trying to start a mail war (for this reason, I did not include the octave-help), but there is a difference between the bus and the API.
I do agree that the bus and the protocol are open standards. This is however independent from the programming API.
The NI API is the defacto industry standard. Even HP/Agilent/keysight acknowledges this fact.
A quick look at the linux-gpib homepage would have shown you that the library does not implement a GPIB bus, but provides the NI API to the GPIB bus.

No war to be expected since you are right :-). I am adding the help list again or the thread will be left with a wrong statement. Indeed the standard specifies the protocol and the bus, but *not the API*, and indeed linux-gpib implemented the same API as NI.

Sorry,

Pantxo