sum(null matrix) becomes null matrix not zero

sum(null matrix) becomes null matrix not zero

che6yoh
Hello.
Thank you very much.
  >Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 13:37:49 -0500
  >From: Tianlin Wang <[hidden email]>
  >
  >  If I execute
  >  >>a=[]
  >  >>b=sum(a)
  >  The result becomes b=[].
  >  Is this specification of octave?
  >  I expected b became zero like MATLAB.
  >
  >I like b=[], because b=0 can fool people
  >
  >  1. The results of expm are strange.
  >    Does the problem occure only on my system?
  >I think, octave uses eigenvectors to calculate expm, it could fail for
  >some ill matrice. However, MATLAB built-in expm function uses more general
  >and reliable algorithm.
  >
  >An octive user, University of Illinois

I am very glad to know that the cause of the problems was not
my installation.

I hope many users improve octave, though I can't check the
source codes.
It is a merit of freeware softwares, I think.

Yoshihiro Hashimoto
Dept. of Systems Eng., Nagoya Inst. of Tech.
[hidden email]
[Now]Dept. of Chem. Eng., The Univ. of Leeds
The mail to [hidden email] will be sent to
[hidden email] automatically.