sundials 3

Dmitri A. Sergatskov
I got my hands on Fedora 28- beta computer (expected final release in about a month).
It comes with sundials 3.1.0 which has non-backward compatible APIs. In particular:

https://computation.llnl.gov/projects/sundials/ida

<<<<
Removed package-specific, linear solver-specific, solver modules (e.g. CVDENSE, KINBAND, IDAKLU, ARKSPGMR) since their functionality is entirely replicated by the generic Dls/Spils interfaces and SUNLINEARSOLVER/SUNMATRIX modules.  The exception is CVDIAG, a diagonal approximate Jacobian solver available to CVODE and CVODES.

So configure fails with
SUNDIALS IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature

and subsequent compile fails with:

../libinterp/dldfcn/__ode15__.cc:44:14: fatal error: ida/ida_dense.h: No such file or directory

Dmitri.

Re: sundials 3

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 01:00:53 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> So configure fails with
> SUNDIALS IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i and ode15s will not
> support the sparse Jacobian feature
>
> and subsequent compile fails with:
>
> ../libinterp/dldfcn/__ode15__.cc:44:14: fatal error: ida/ida_dense.h: No
> such file or directory

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52475

I posted about a week ago it would be nice to get this fixed before the
release, but no patches yet. Debian is still on 2.7.0.

Re: sundials 3

Carlo de Falco-3

Il 30 mar 2018 08:07, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 01:00:53 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> So configure fails with
> SUNDIALS IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i and ode15s will not
> support the sparse Jacobian feature
>
> and subsequent compile fails with:
>
> ../libinterp/dldfcn/__ode15__.cc:44:14: fatal error: ida/ida_dense.h: No
> such file or directory

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52475

I posted about a week ago it would be nice to get this fixed before the
release, but no patches yet. Debian is still on 2.7.0.

Sundials IDA has undergone a complete redesign of the API from 2.7 to 3.0:

https://computation.llnl.gov/projects/sundials/ida

It is very unfortunate such a big change occurred right before the release of the first octave version including it as a dependency as the sundials API had been more or less stable for many years before this last release...

The changes to ode15 needed to make it compatible with the new API are quite substantial so I think it is not realistic to have this done in less than one month.

c.

Re: sundials 3

Bill Greene-3
Is the intention to support  both Sundials 2.7 and 3.1 with some kind of configuration option.
If a version with only Sundials 3 is needed, I might be able to submit a patch for this.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Carlo de Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il 30 mar 2018 08:07, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 01:00:53 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> So configure fails with
> SUNDIALS IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i and ode15s will not
> support the sparse Jacobian feature
>
> and subsequent compile fails with:
>
> ../libinterp/dldfcn/__ode15__.cc:44:14: fatal error: ida/ida_dense.h: No
> such file or directory

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52475

I posted about a week ago it would be nice to get this fixed before the
release, but no patches yet. Debian is still on 2.7.0.

Sundials IDA has undergone a complete redesign of the API from 2.7 to 3.0:

It is very unfortunate such a big change occurred right before the release of the first octave version including it as a dependency as the sundials API had been more or less stable for many years before this last release...

The changes to ode15 needed to make it compatible with the new API are quite substantial so I think it is not realistic to have this done in less than one month.

c.

Re: sundials 3

Mike Miller-4
On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 17:43:07 -0400, Bill Greene wrote:
> Is the intention to support  both Sundials 2.7 and 3.1 with some kind of
> configuration option.
> If a version with only Sundials 3 is needed, I might be able to submit a
> patch for this.

I think any kind of patch you submit will be helpful. If you can do the
work to adapt the functions to SUNDIALS 3, I'm sure someone can do the
work to make it conditional, if it's considered important enough.

I don't think it's that important to keep working with SUNDIALS 2.7.

There is plenty of time to break and fix things on the development
branch for Octave 5. Octave 4.4 will definitely only support 2.7.

You should submit any patches on https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52475

Re: sundials 3

Carlo de Falco-3

> On 16 Apr 2018, at 00:02, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 17:43:07 -0400, Bill Greene wrote:
>> Is the intention to support  both Sundials 2.7 and 3.1 with some kind of
>> configuration option.
>> If a version with only Sundials 3 is needed, I might be able to submit a
>> patch for this.
>
> I think any kind of patch you submit will be helpful. If you can do the
> work to adapt the functions to SUNDIALS 3, I'm sure someone can do the
> work to make it conditional, if it's considered important enough.
>
> I don't think it's that important to keep working with SUNDIALS 2.7.
>
> There is plenty of time to break and fix things on the development
> branch for Octave 5. Octave 4.4 will definitely only support 2.7.
>
> You should submit any patches on https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52475

maybe by the time octave 5 is out it might be safe to drop support
for sundials 2.7?

c.

Re: sundials 3

Bill Greene-3
OK, I attached a patch file to this bug report.
If someone could take a look at this patch to make sure it is in the
correct form, I would appreciate it. Obviously, since the changes involve
only a single file (__ode15__.cc), I could upload the complete file, if necessary.