support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable

support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable

Francesco Potortì
Out of the blue, without any apparent reason, my script stopped working
with this error:

error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built
error: called from
    __opengl_print__ at line 161 column 7
    print at line 561 column 14

This is Octave 4.4.0 on Debian testing

Before starting to investigate, is there anything obvious or well known
that I'm missing?

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable

Pantxo
Francesco Potortì wrote

> Out of the blue, without any apparent reason, my script stopped working
> with this error:
>
> error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was
> unavailable or disabled when Octave was built
> error: called from
>     __opengl_print__ at line 161 column 7
>     print at line 561 column 14
>
> This is Octave 4.4.0 on Debian testing
>
> Before starting to investigate, is there anything obvious or well known
> that I'm missing?
>
> --
> Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
> ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107
> via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 Pisa         Skype:  wnlabisti
> (entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Hi,

It looks like the debian Octave package does not include OSMesa, which is
not very surprising since OSMesa does not play very well (at all?) with the
future architecture of OpenGL on linux (libglvnd). Note also that direct
support of OSMesa for offscreen printing has recently been removed from
Octave sources (future Octave 5) and will probably be provided by an
external Octave Forge package in the future.

In any event, my guess is that the debian package includes the Qt toolkit
which in turn is supposed to support offscreen rendering without the use of
OSMesa. Why not switch to the Qt toolkit?

Pantxo

TODO: This page has not been updated : http://wiki.octave.org/OSMesa

Re: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable

Francesco Potortì
>> error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was
>> unavailable or disabled when Octave was built
>> error: called from
>>     __opengl_print__ at line 161 column 7
>>     print at line 561 column 14
>>
>> This is Octave 4.4.0 on Debian testing

>It looks like the debian Octave package does not include OSMesa, which is
>not very surprising since OSMesa does not play very well (at all?) with the
>future architecture of OpenGL on linux (libglvnd). Note also that direct
>support of OSMesa for offscreen printing has recently been removed from
>Octave sources (future Octave 5) and will probably be provided by an
>external Octave Forge package in the future.
>
>In any event, my guess is that the debian package includes the Qt toolkit
>which in turn is supposed to support offscreen rendering without the use of
>OSMesa. Why not switch to the Qt toolkit?

Ok, I'm filing a bug report in favour of adding an error message when
trying to print offscreen with fltk.

>TODO: This page has not been updated : http://wiki.octave.org/OSMesa

For those who will update the wiki: gnuplot works offscreen.  I haven't
tried qt.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
(entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Re: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable

Pantxo

Ok, I'm filing a bug report in favour of adding an error message when
trying to print offscreen with fltk.

The message you see is perfectly clear to me: the Octave binary you are using does not support OSMesa features. What would you expect?
Note also that the maintenance of both FLTK and Qt toolkits is not always easy and FLTK may be completely removed from future versions of Octave (and probably maintained in an Octave Forge package).

Pantxo

Re: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable

Francesco Potortì
>> Ok, I'm filing a bug report in favour of adding an error message when
>> trying to print offscreen with fltk.
>
>The message you see is perfectly clear to me: the Octave binary you are
>using does not support OSMesa features. What would you expect?

Current:

error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

Expected:

error: no fltk support for offscreen printing, use the gnuplot
       or qt graphic toolkits (see graphic_toolkit function)

Or something like that