text plot objects and auto-range

Daniel Sebald
Topics: text autorange auto-range autoscale auto-scale

Just wondering if "text" graph objects should be included in
auto-ranging.  For example,

text(5,5,"hello")

opens a new figure window, but the text isn't included within the view.
The text is only one point, so auto-ranging might have to default to a
width of one, but Octave could pick that one point (5,5) as the center
of the range.

Dan

Re: text plot objects and auto-range

Rik-4
On 03/12/2017 12:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
text plot objects and auto-range
From:
Daniel J Sebald [hidden email]
Date:
03/11/2017 01:17 PM
To:
[hidden email]
7bit
Message:
1

Topics: text autorange auto-range autoscale auto-scale

Just wondering if "text" graph objects should be included in auto-ranging.  For example,

text(5,5,"hello")

opens a new figure window, but the text isn't included within the view. The text is only one point, so auto-ranging might have to default to a width of one, but Octave could pick that one point (5,5) as the center of the range.

Does Matlab autoscale to include text objects?

I suppose it might be nice to implement this if it isn't too difficult.  The issue will be finding the position property and extracting the x, y, z information before proceeding with the rest of the algorithm.

--Rik

Re: text plot objects and auto-range

NJank

no. text(5,5,'hello') produces a plot with axes from 0 to 1

in case there was any question the text object does still exist. axis([0 10 0 10]) in both programs will rescale the plot with a
'hello' sitting a (5,5) as expected.

On 03/13/2017 10:02 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 2:03 AM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does Matlab autoscale to include text objects?

no. text(5,5,'hello') produces a plot with axes from 0 to 1

Dan,

It looks like you could implement this just to have the functionality, but there's no compatibility requirement to do so and there might be more important bugs to fix.

--Rik

On 03/13/2017 12:11 PM, Rik wrote:

> On 03/13/2017 10:02 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 2:03 AM, Rik <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>>     Does Matlab autoscale to include text objects?
>>

>> no. text(5,5,'hello') produces a plot with axes from 0 to 1
>
> Dan,
>
> It looks like you could implement this just to have the functionality,
> but there's no compatibility requirement to do so and there might be
> more important bugs to fix.
>
> --Rik

OK.  Not that important if users' expectations aren't that there should
be text visible.

Dan