the problem of symbolic package

gwestern
Dear Sir/madame,

Hi. I would like to get your kind support for the package of symbolic.

As it mentioned, I did follow the directions: after downloading symbolic
for windows,

at octave prompt,

pkg install -forge symbolic

pkg load symbolic

However it does not work at all.

I ran a program using symbolic function and it did not work at all.

and I tried to execute the command like this way,

 >> syms a b c d
warning: the 'syms' function belongs to the symbolic package from Octave
Forge
which you have installed but not loaded.  To load the package, run 'pkg
load symbolic' from the Octave prompt.

 >> RBC1

ssCKoLY =

     1.73134   18.81824
     0.87788    2.20180

warning: the 'syms' function belongs to the symbolic package from Octave
Forge
which you have installed but not loaded.  To load the package, run 'pkg
load symbolic' from the Octave prompt.

Please read <https://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
error: 'syms' undefined near line 46 column 8
error: called from
     RBC1 at line 46 column 8

-------

Well, I did it run 'pkg load symbolic'  the again and again  but never
works at all.

I don't know how can I solve this problem.

I have to teach octave for students and I need to know how to run
symbolic safely.

Could you kindly help me this matter?

Thank you very much!

Insang

Insang Hwang, Phd. in Economics
Senior Associate Professor
--------------------------------
Economics and Business Department
International Christian University
Osawa 3-10-2, Mitaka, Tokyo
Japan 181-8585
tel: 0422-33-3181
e-mail: [hidden email]
---------------------------------

Re: the problem of symbolic package

siko1056
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:55 PM Hwang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Sir/madame,

Hi. I would like to get your kind support for the package of symbolic.

As it mentioned, I did follow the directions: after downloading symbolic
for windows,

at octave prompt,

pkg install -forge symbolic

pkg load symbolic

However it does not work at all.

I ran a program using symbolic function and it did not work at all.

and I tried to execute the command like this way,

 >> syms a b c d
warning: the 'syms' function belongs to the symbolic package from Octave
Forge
which you have installed but not loaded.  To load the package, run 'pkg
load symbolic' from the Octave prompt.

 >> RBC1

ssCKoLY =

     1.73134   18.81824
     0.87788    2.20180

[...]

Dear Insang,

Using Windows it is not necessary to running "pkg install -forge symbolic". Many packages are already included in the installer.
On the other hand you need to install Python on your system.

I suggest you try the detailed five-step installation guide at  https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

Best,
Kai

Re: the problem of symbolic package

nrjank

Octave's symbolic toolkit requires Python and the sympy package. You have the choice of installing this manually, or (a simpler option) use the special bundled package made for Windows.  If you have to do this to teach a course, I strongly recommend that approach.  Please follow Option 1 from:

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 9:22 AM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

Octave's symbolic toolkit requires Python and the sympy package. You have the choice of installing this manually, or (a simpler option) use the special bundled package made for Windows.  If you have to do this to teach a course, I strongly recommend that approach.  Please follow Option 1 from:

a follow up question:  can you please reply to this help help thread with the error messages you received in the process of trying to install and run the symbolic package using what would otherwise have seemed to be the correct method? It may be we can improve error messaging to better guide you through special cases like this one.

Re: the problem of symbolic package

nrjank
Please use Reply All to keep the [hidden email] list in the conversation.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 9:54 AM Insang HWANG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you mean to follow option of case of bundle?

yes, the bundle should be the easiest way to install symbolic package on windows if you don't already have python installed

> I did it but failed. I might do some mistakes

I just followed the directions myself and had no problems.  Please try to follow Option 1 again exactly as written, and email back with any errors. As of today, the latest symbolic version is 2.7.1.  so it should just require downloading and installing symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip  using the command:

pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip

note that Octave's working directory must be the same as where you saved symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip

Re: the problem of symbolic package

tmacchant

>Please use Reply All to keep the [hidden email] list in the conversation.
>

>On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 9:54 AM Insang HWANG <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Do you mean to follow option of case of bundle?
>

>yes, the bundle should be the easiest way to install symbolic package on windows if you don't already have python installed

>> I did it but failed. I might do some mistakes
>

>I just followed the directions myself and had no problems.  Please try to follow Option 1 again exactly as written, and email back with any errors. As of today, the latest symbolic version is 2.7.1.  so it should just require downloading and installing symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip  using the command:
>

>pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip
>

>note that Octave's working directory must be the same as where you saved symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip

If I remember correctly, there was discussion about python on octave.
Octave Ver.5 ships msys2 but not msys.
If octave for windows ships python on msys2, the symbolic package will be able to bundled as pre-build octave-forge package.

Tatsuro

Re: the problem of symbolic package

gwestern
Hi Nicholas

Thank you for your correct answer.

I will try it again later today.

Before that I need your further confirmation.

1. The directory where octave is the place for locating bundle.2.7.1.zip file.
Is this right?

2. This is an ambiguous one whenever I tried. At dos promt of octave, so I have to run command listed. Do I need to change the current directory to the directory where bundle.zip is located?

Like ; cd hwang
Where hwang is the directory having the bundle zip file.

And execute the command at this changed directory not other directory.

Is this right process to activate symbolic?

Let me know your nice answer!

Best,

Insang

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019, 12:07 AM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please use Reply All to keep the [hidden email] list in the conversation.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 9:54 AM Insang HWANG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you mean to follow option of case of bundle?

yes, the bundle should be the easiest way to install symbolic package on windows if you don't already have python installed

> I did it but failed. I might do some mistakes

I just followed the directions myself and had no problems.  Please try to follow Option 1 again exactly as written, and email back with any errors. As of today, the latest symbolic version is 2.7.1.  so it should just require downloading and installing symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip  using the command:

pkg install symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip

note that Octave's working directory must be the same as where you saved symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.7.1.zip

Re: the problem of symbolic package

gwestern

Hi Nicholas, Thank you for your great guidance!

I finally solved the problem as you mentioned.

One tricky thing is that the last command of "pkg load symbolic".

When I ran it at dos prompt of octave and it did not work.

But soon after I ran it at command window of Octave (GNU), then it worked!

How i can clarify this kind of sensitive matter correctly?

Best,

Insang

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 9:19 PM Hwang <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Nicholas, Thank you for your great guidance!

I finally solved the problem as you mentioned.

One tricky thing is that the last command of "pkg load symbolic".

When I ran it at dos prompt of octave and it did not work.

But soon after I ran it at command window of Octave (GNU), then it worked!

How i can clarify this kind of sensitive matter correctly?

1. please explain what you mean by "dos prompt of octave" and "command window of octave"

I assume since you are running Windows, that you run octave by double clicking one of the Octave icons created when the program was installed.  The installer will create two icons, one will start only the Octave command line (also called the interpreter.  it looks like a Windows command line or Dos prompt, but it is within the Octave program).  the other icon will start the Octave Graphical Interface. This also has the same Octave command line (interpreter) window, but with other graphical elements around it.  On the left side is a directory or folder tree and a variable list.

2. once the package is installed, the "pkg load symbolic"  command should work in the Octave interpreter window from any directory. Only when manually installing a package ( pkg install symbolic-x.y.z.tar.gz) do you need to make sure that Octave can see the file by being in the same directory.  You can do this with the CD command, as you had said, or you can use the folder tree in the upper left of the graphical interface.

Now that you have it working, I would suggest practicing a simple set of instructions for the students to follow if they must also install the package.