typeinfo

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

typeinfo

Ernst Reissner-2
Hi all,
i am about to resurrect javaoctave, software to access octave from
within java
(a feature also matlab offers).
One task is to provide a means to initialize a variable with any kind of
octave object.
I found here the command typeinfo which offers seemingly all types to be
considered.

What makes me feel uncomfortable is what help typeinfo displays:
     If EXPR is omitted, return a cell array of strings containing all
     the currently installed data types.
What does mean currently installed data types?
Does this list depend solely on the octave version
or is there a way to install more types on a given octave version?

Thank you for helping.

Greetings,

Ernst

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: typeinfo

Carlo de Falco-2


> On 13 Apr 2018, at 09:24, Ernst Reissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> i am about to resurrect javaoctave, software to access octave from
> within java
> (a feature also matlab offers).
> One task is to provide a means to initialize a variable with any kind of
> octave object.
> I found here the command typeinfo which offers seemingly all types to be
> considered.
>
> What makes me feel uncomfortable is what help typeinfo displays:
>      If EXPR is omitted, return a cell array of strings containing all
>      the currently installed data types.
> What does mean currently installed data types?
> Does this list depend solely on the octave version
> or is there a way to install more types on a given octave version?
>
> Thank you for helping.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ernst


Yes, new types can be registered with the C++ API.
This feature is used by some extension packages.

c.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: typeinfo

Ernst Reissner-2
On 04/13/2018 11:50 AM, Carlo De Falco wrote:

>
>> On 13 Apr 2018, at 09:24, Ernst Reissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> i am about to resurrect javaoctave, software to access octave from
>> within java
>> (a feature also matlab offers).
>> One task is to provide a means to initialize a variable with any kind of
>> octave object.
>> I found here the command typeinfo which offers seemingly all types to be
>> considered.
>>
>> What makes me feel uncomfortable is what help typeinfo displays:
>>      If EXPR is omitted, return a cell array of strings containing all
>>      the currently installed data types.
>> What does mean currently installed data types?
>> Does this list depend solely on the octave version
>> or is there a way to install more types on a given octave version?
>>
>> Thank you for helping.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Ernst
>
> Yes, new types can be registered with the C++ API.
> This feature is used by some extension packages.
>
> c.

Ah, Thank you..

Could you point me to the description in the octave manual?

Thank you.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: typeinfo

Carlo de Falco-2


> On 13 Apr 2018, at 13:24, Ernst Reissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 04/13/2018 11:50 AM, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>>
>> Yes, new types can be registered with the C++ API.
>> This feature is used by some extension packages.
>>
>> c.
>
> Ah, Thank you..
>
> Could you point me to the description in the octave manual?
>
> Thank you.


Hi,

I'm not sure whether that is documented anywhere in the manual,
but there is an example in the source tree that shows how it's
done:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/fa9993b55617/examples/code/make_int.cc

a few packages use this, I can't remember exactly which ones off the top of my head,
but for sure the MPI package does:

https://gitserver.mate.polimi.it/redmine/attachments/download/66/mpi-2.2.0.tar.gz

c.