unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

ajiten
I am a complete beginner for programming.
I have installed octave 3.8.2 in Windows 7.
If I use the command,  pkg install -forge io, then I get the error:

error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet connection
error: called from:
error:   E:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2\share\octave\3.8.2\m\pkg\private\get_forge_pkg.m at line 76, column 7
error:   E:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2\share\octave\3.8.2\m\pkg\private\get_forge_download.m at line 26, column 12
error:   E:\Octave\Octave-3.8.2\share\octave\3.8.2\m\pkg\pkg.m at line 385, column 29

As being a newbie, I tried to google out; & accordingly put values of environment variables: http_proxy & http_port; although did not check if there was already there some value beforehand. May be octave picks up automatically values (cannot at least tell now!).
Anyway, the error persists with the same description.

Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

NJank
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 8:06 AM, ajiten <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

See: http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows

Curious why you're using such an old version of Octave? Did you find some place online that pointed you to this old version? The current version is 4.2.1, and the Windows version is available for both 32 and 64 bit from here:
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

There have been a number of changes since then, including security changes that prevent older versions of the pkg command from automatically fetching packages from the website.

If you need to use 3.8.2 for some reason, you need to manually download the package file from https://octave.sourceforge.io/packages.php and then run:
pkg install packagename-1.2.3.tar.gz

Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

ajiten
Thanks for your reply.
I had plan to install octave long back, but could not do it at that time & just downloaded that version's file.
I feel by your answer that the two environment variables were not needed in the first place, as you have stated : 'security changes that prevent older versions of the pkg command from automatically fetching packages from the website. '
--------
I have downloaded and installed the 4.2.1 version for 64 bit , and it is cool in terms of package installation easily done after rebuild using command: pkg rebuild . But, the web-page (http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows) still states that :

A bug in the Windows builds currently prevents Octave from automatically retrieving packages from the website for installation or updates. This will be fixed in the next Octave release. Until then, manual package installation is necessary to update or install new packages on Windows.

---So, it means that the issue is still there and only the packaging has solved the issue. If I need to download something in future, then I will face the same issue presumably again!
So, the command :  "pkg install -forge io"  will not work again. I tried the same, & octave after a long duration responded:
"For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run 'news io'."
On running : "news io", the newest version is stated to be : io-2.4.7, while mine is : io-2.4.5.
Is there any way available to upgrade rather than wait for the promised fix in the next version.

Best regards.

Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

NJank

A bug in the Windows builds currently prevents Octave from automatically
retrieving packages from the website for installation or updates. This will
be fixed in the next Octave release. Until then, manual package installation
is necessary to update or install new packages on Windows.

Sorry, this appears to be a bit out of date.  I think it was valid for 4.2.0, and someone just updated the numbers on the page to 4.2.1 without noting that the bug was fixed in that version. Note that from some discussion on the help list it seems the bug will still persist for anyone running Windows XP.

---So, it means that the issue is still there and only the packaging has
solved the issue. If I need to download something in future, then I will
face the same issue presumably again!
So, the command :  "pkg install -forge io"  will not work again. I tried the
same, & octave after a long duration responded:
"For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run
'news io'."

This should mean it downloaded and installed the latest version.  I just tried (using 4.2.1 on Windows 7) and it gave the same message.

On running : "news io", the newest version is stated to be : io-2.4.7, while
mine is : io-2.4.5.

what does

>> pkg list

 say?  I ran it and it gave the same message and upgraded me from 2.4.5 to 2.4.7

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

A bug in the Windows builds currently prevents Octave from automatically
retrieving packages from the website for installation or updates. This will
be fixed in the next Octave release. Until then, manual package installation
is necessary to update or install new packages on Windows.

Sorry, this appears to be a bit out of date.  I think it was valid for 4.2.0, and someone just updated the numbers on the page to 4.2.1 without noting that the bug was fixed in that version. Note that from some discussion on the help list it seems the bug will still persist for anyone running Windows XP.

thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have updated the information on the Wiki

Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

ajiten
I should then be able to do the upgrade for a particular package, here io.
But the same is not achievable, as I stated in my earlier response.
Any reasons for the issue's persistence.

Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

NJank
(Oops, forwarding to the list)

On May 12, 2017 6:37 AM, "Nicholas Jankowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On May 11, 2017 10:22 PM, "ajiten" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I should then be able to do the upgrade for a particular package, here io.
But the same is not achievable, as I stated in my earlier response.
Any reasons for the issue's persistence.

Please copy and paste all output from:

pkg list

Then from:

pkg install -forge io

then again from:

pkg list

While you run the pkg install command, have your working directory open in a separate explorer window so you can see if the package download file appears there temporarily while it tries to install.

Report back with the outputs, maybe something will provide a clue.

Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

ajiten
I followed your advice & got that there is a difference in the output of command 'pkg install -forge io'. It gives a warning message now, before the message on 2nd line (that I obtained on running this command for the first time):
warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)
For information about changes from previous versions of the io package, run 'news io'.

The output of both ' pkg list ' & ' pkg install -forge io ' is shown in the image below:

Regarding the working directory, there is a small change of one additional item being there (620 instead of 619) when the command is being run (it takes a long time for the command to execute). However, to locate that seemed unnecessary given the new line of warning being issued now.

<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683305/pkg_list_%3B_pkg_install_-forge_io.png>

Regarding the working directory, there is a small change of one additional
item being there (620 instead of 619) when the command is being run (it
takes a long time for the command to execute). However, to locate that
seemed unnecessary given the new line of warning being issued now.

That one file should be io-2.4.7.tar.gz (or whatever it's called) appearing after having been successfully downloaded, then disappearing after install is complete. So the automatic downloading appears to work.  The pkg list image also shows that io version 2.4.7 is installed. So pkg install works.

Some warnings during install is normal, for some packages, especially on windows. This is unfortunate but is just the way the system works sometimes. an error would be different as it would stop tge unstall. This one could stem from the fact that you're reinstalling a package that has already been successfully installed.

More importantly, does the package work? Load the package and try some of the functions. (pkg load io)

Nick  J.

Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

ajiten
I am sorry that I did not notice the version update of the io package. But, still the command ' pkg load io ' seems not to work. It gave warning:
warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)

I just exited & restarted octave again, then it works (means gives no warning).
I request some more commands to check the working. This will improve my understanding for future too.

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM, ajiten <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am sorry that I did not notice the version update of the io package. But,
still the command ' pkg load io ' seems not to work. It gave warning:
warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)

I just exited & restarted octave again, then it works (means gives no
warning).
I request some more commands to check the working. This will improve my
understanding for future too.

Ok, i think the IO package uses Java for some interfaces. Maybe something before the restart made it unable to find Java.

The full function reference can be found here:
https://octave.sourceforge.io/io/

I think the thing most people want to do with this package is read/write Excel files. If you have any .xls or xlsx files, you could try to read one into Octave or to write a matrix out to a spreadsheet. There are also some csv->cell functions you could try.

A very simple test script:

pkg load io
for idx1 = 1:10, for idx2 = 1:10, a{idx1,idx2} = eye(10)(idx1,idx2); endfor, endfor
cell2csv('testout.csv',a)

should create a csv file with 0's and 1's.

xlswrite('testout.xlsx',a)

should create a similar file as an excel file.

TESTinput = xlsread('testout.xlsx')

should read the file back in and assign the array to a variable Testinput

Re: unable to install packages into octave in Windows 7

Philip Nienhuis
NJank wrote
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM, ajiten <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry that I did not notice the version update of the io package. But,
> still the command ' pkg load io ' seems not to work. It gave warning:
> warning: (Automatic loading of spreadsheet I/O Java classlibs failed)
>
> I just exited & restarted octave again, then it works (means gives no
> warning).
> I request some more commands to check the working. This will improve my
> understanding for future too.

Ok, i think the IO package uses Java for some interfaces. Maybe something
before the restart made it unable to find Java.

The full function reference can be found here:
https://octave.sourceforge.io/io/

I think the thing most people want to do with this package is read/write
Excel files. If you have any .xls or xlsx files, you could try to read one
into Octave or to write a matrix out to a spreadsheet. There are also some
csv->cell functions you could try.

A very simple test script:

pkg load io
for idx1 = 1:10, for idx2 = 1:10, a{idx1,idx2} = eye(10)(idx1,idx2);
endfor, endfor
cell2csv('testout.csv',a)

should create a csv file with 0's and 1's.

xlswrite('testout.xlsx',a)

should create a similar file as an excel file.

TESTinput = xlsread('testout.xlsx')

should read the file back in and assign the array to a variable Testinput
A better check would be to invoke the dedicated test script in the io package:

test_spsh

that'll sort out the available interfaces (native (OCT), Java- and (on Windows:) ActiveX based), runs basic tests for each interface found and reports the results.

Philip