unknown device tikzstandalone

tmacchant
I have files a bug (Feature Request).

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53847

But unknown device tikzstandalone
If I tried use on 4.4.0 on windows and Ubuntu 16.04.

tikzstandalone print device is described in the manual https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Printing-and-Saving-Plots.html#Printing-and-Saving-Plots

Is this known issue?

Tatsuro

Re: unknown device tikzstandalone

tmacchant
Sorry I sent a mail without revising.
Please ignore the first post

I have filed a bug (Feature Request).
 http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53847

Title
 tikzstandalone support for octave for winodws (gnuplot embeded with octave)

However,

Using external gnuplot that has lua/tikz terminal

>> gnuplot_binary C:\Programs\gp523-64\bin\gnuplot
>> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
>> fplot ("[cos(x), sin(x)]", [0, 2*pi])
>> print("test.tikz", "-dtikzstandalone")
error: print: unknown device tikzstandalone
error: called from
    __print_parse_opts__ at line 259 column 5
    print at line 322 column 8

>> print("test.tikz", "-dtikz")
## works for tikz but not tikzstandalone

I executed the same test on 4.4.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 (build myself).

The same error appears
   error: print: unknown device tikzstandalone

However in  the manual of 4.4,
https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Printing-and-Saving-Plots.html#Printing-and-Saving-Plots

In the print device,

tikz
tikzstandalone
  Generate a LaTeX file using PGF/TikZ format.
  The OpenGL-based toolkits create a PGF file while Gnuplot creates a TikZ file.
  The ‘tikzstandalone’ device produces a LaTeX document which includes the TikZ file
  (‘tikzstandalone’ and is only available for the Gnuplot graphics toolkit).

There seems to exist tikz but not tikzstandalone

Is this a known issue?

Tatsuro

Re: unknown device tikzstandalone

bpabbott
Administrator
> On May 6, 2018, at 8:30 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry I sent a mail without revising.
> Please ignore the first post
>
> I have filed a bug (Feature Request).
>  http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53847
>
> Title
>  tikzstandalone support for octave for winodws (gnuplot embeded with octave)
>

> However,
>
> Using external gnuplot that has lua/tikz terminal

>>> gnuplot_binary C:\Programs\gp523-64\bin\gnuplot
>>> graphics_toolkit gnuplot
>>> fplot ("[cos(x), sin(x)]", [0, 2*pi])
>>> print("test.tikz", "-dtikzstandalone")
> error: print: unknown device tikzstandalone
> error: called from
>     __print_parse_opts__ at line 259 column 5
>     print at line 322 column 8
>
>>> print("test.tikz", "-dtikz")
> ## works for tikz but not tikzstandalone
>

> I executed the same test on 4.4.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 (build myself).
>
> The same error appears
>    error: print: unknown device tikzstandalone
>
> However in  the manual of 4.4,
> https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Printing-and-Saving-Plots.html#Printing-and-Saving-Plots
>
> In the print device,
>
> tikz
> tikzstandalone
>   Generate a LaTeX file using PGF/TikZ format.
>   The OpenGL-based toolkits create a PGF file while Gnuplot creates a TikZ file.
>   The ‘tikzstandalone’ device produces a LaTeX document which includes the TikZ file
>   (‘tikzstandalone’ and is only available for the Gnuplot graphics toolkit).
>

> There seems to exist tikz but not tikzstandalone
>
> Is this a known issue?
>
> Tatsuro

I expect I wrote the original support for tikzstandalone. The approach was to produce both a tex-file and a tikz-file. The tikz-file came from gnuplot. Gl2ps was able to generate a pgf-file, but that never worked for me. Since then there has been changes to the standalone output and the gnuplot backend. During those changes, the tikzstandalone must have been broken/disabled.

There is a function print.m:latex_standalone() whos handle is passed into __opengl_print__.m and __gnuplot_print__.m as part of the “opts” structure. The approach that was intended to be used for tkzstandalone with gnuplot is essentially equivelent to what is implemented for opengl (I haven’t tested tikzstandalone with opengl, but I expect it works).

Ben

Re: unknown device tikzstandalone

tmacchant
>>  On May 6, 2018, at 8:30 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>>  Sorry I sent a mail without revising.
>>  Please ignore the first post
>>
>>  I have filed a bug (Feature Request).
>>   http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53847
>>
>>  Title
>>   tikzstandalone support for octave for winodws (gnuplot embeded with
> octave)
>>

>>  However,
>>
>>  Using external gnuplot that has lua/tikz terminal
>>
>>  *************************************************************
>>  error: print: unknown device tikzstandalone
>>  error: called from
>>      __print_parse_opts__ at line 259 column 5
>>      print at line 322 column 8

>>  ## works for tikz but not tikzstandalone
>>  *************************************************************
>>

>>  I executed the same test on 4.4.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 (build myself).
>>
>>  The same error appears
>>     error: print: unknown device tikzstandalone
>>
>>  However in  the manual of 4.4,
>>
> https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Printing-and-Saving-Plots.html#Printing-and-Saving-Plots
>>
>>  In the print device,
>>
>>  tikz
>>  tikzstandalone
>>    Generate a LaTeX file using PGF/TikZ format.
>>    The OpenGL-based toolkits create a PGF file while Gnuplot creates a TikZ
> file.
>>    The ‘tikzstandalone’ device produces a LaTeX document which includes the
> TikZ file
>>    (‘tikzstandalone’ and is only available for the Gnuplot graphics
> toolkit).
>>

>>  There seems to exist tikz but not tikzstandalone
>>
>>  Is this a known issue?
>>
>>  Tatsuro
>>

> I expect I wrote the original support for tikzstandalone. The approach was to
> produce both a tex-file and a tikz-file. The tikz-file came from gnuplot. Gl2ps
> was able to generate a pgf-file, but that never worked for me. Since then there
> has been changes to the standalone output and the gnuplot backend. During those
> changes, the tikzstandalone must have been broken/disabled.
>
> There is a function print.m:latex_standalone() whos handle is passed into
> __opengl_print__.m and __gnuplot_print__.m as part of the “opts” structure. The
> approach that was intended to be used for tkzstandalone with gnuplot is
> essentially equivelent to what is implemented for opengl (I haven’t tested
> tikzstandalone with opengl, but I expect it works).
>
> Ben

Ben

Thanks for your comment.

Can I file this topic to bug tracker as Feature request?

Tatsuro

Re: unknown device tikzstandalone

bpabbott
Administrator
> On May 7, 2018, at 01:16, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please do.
Thanks
Ben

Re: unknown device tikzstandalone

tmacchant

>>  On May 7, 2018, at 01:16, Tatsuro MATSUOKA
> wrote:

Done

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53861

Further discussion should be done in the above.

Tatsuro