update of macosx binary?

Lewis Lepton
hello,

ive been trying to update to the latest octave on macOS - but unable to get it working right.
would it possible to get an updated macOS version available as a binary please

many thanks

Lewis Lepton
———
lewislepton.com
Sound Designer | Creative Artist | Developer
itch.io | soundcloud | bandcamp | youtube

Re: update of macosx binary?

Sebastian Schöps
Lewis Lepton wrote
ive been trying to update to the latest octave on macOS - but unable to get it working right.
would it possible to get an updated macOS version available as a binary please
I have created new versions of the dmg (cli and gui). Please contact me, if you want to help me testing it.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Re: update of macosx binary?

bpabbott
Administrator
> On Apr 23, 2017, at 8:17 AM, Sebastian Schöps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Lewis Lepton wrote
>> ive been trying to update to the latest octave on macOS - but unable to
>> get it working right.
>> would it possible to get an updated macOS version available as a binary
>> please
>
> I have created new versions of the dmg (cli and gui). Please contact me, if
> you want to help me testing it.
>
> Kind regards,
> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

In your experience, using Homebrew, what is the latest version of Octave whose gui runs on MacOS?

Ben

Re: update of macosx binary?

Sebastian Schöps

> Am 23.04.2017 um 15:43 schrieb Ben Abbott <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Apr 23, 2017, at 8:17 AM, Sebastian Schöps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Lewis Lepton wrote
>>> ive been trying to update to the latest octave on macOS - but unable to
>>> get it working right.
>>> would it possible to get an updated macOS version available as a binary
>>> please
>>
>> I have created new versions of the dmg (cli and gui). Please contact me, if
>> you want to help me testing it.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Sebastian
>
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> In your experience, using Homebrew, what is the latest version of Octave whose gui runs on MacOS?
>
> Ben

Hey Ben,

I think that versions <4.2 with qt4 were working fine. No it freezes on exit (there is a bug report on that). At some point homebrew switched to qt5 and this might be the actual problem. On recent macOSs, I cannot get qt4 to compile, so it's difficult for me to find out who is guilty.

Bye
Sebastian

Re: update of macosx binary?

bpabbott
Administrator

> On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Sebastian Schöps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Am 23.04.2017 um 15:43 schrieb Ben Abbott <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> On Apr 23, 2017, at 8:17 AM, Sebastian Schöps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Lewis Lepton wrote
>>>
>>> I have created new versions of the dmg (cli and gui). Please contact me, if
>>> you want to help me testing it.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Sebastian
>>
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> In your experience, using Homebrew, what is the latest version of Octave whose gui runs on MacOS?
>>
>> Ben
>>

> Hey Ben,
>
> I think that versions <4.2 with qt4 were working fine. No it freezes on exit (there is a bug report on that). At some point homebrew switched to qt5 and this might be the actual problem. On recent macOSs, I cannot get qt4 to compile, so it's difficult for me to find out who is guilty.
>
> Bye
> Sebastian

Fink still has qt4, but I haven’t been able to get the gui to work since 4.x.

A qt5 package is also available but Octave doesn’t build when I try to use it. I suspect that I don’t have Octave’s configure setup correctly to build with qt5.

Ben