Quantcast

wiki windows installation page

NJank
After a user fumbled through installing two outdated versions of
Octave because they insisted on following scattered instructions, I
updated the info on the Wiki [1] for v4,2.0 (it still had 4.0.3 as the
most recent version).  Two questions:

1 - Is it necessary to move cygwin instructions under the 4.2.0
section? If so, can they just be moved from the 4.0.3 section or does
antyhing need to be changed?

2 - Windows zip version includes both octave.bat and octave.vbs.  I
think the .vbs was added as a part of bug # 41074 [2].  Is there a
particular reason to tell the user to make a shortcut to one or the
other?

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows
[2] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41074

Nick J.

Re: wiki windows installation page

tmacchant
> After a user fumbled through installing two outdated versions of
> Octave because they insisted on following scattered instructions, I
> updated the info on the Wiki [1] for v4,2.0 (it still had 4.0.3 as the
> most recent version).  Two questions:
>
> 1 - Is it necessary to move cygwin instructions under the 4.2.0
> section? If so, can they just be moved from the 4.0.3 section or does
> antyhing need to be changed?
>
> 2 - Windows zip version includes both octave.bat and octave.vbs.  I
> think the .vbs was added as a part of bug # 41074 [2].  Is there a
> particular reason to tell the user to make a shortcut to one or the
> other?
>
> [1] http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows
> [2] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41074
>
> Nick J.

Thank for the update for octave 4.2.0 for windows.

1. Cygwin version octave is also updated to 4.2.0.
Marco is a maintainer Cygwin version octave  so I will add his address in reply list.

2. Shortcut made by octave installer now uses octave.vbs but not octave.bat.
Perhaps there is no definite reason why tell the user to make shortcut to octave.vbs
for zip archive.

Tatsuro

FW Re: wiki windows installation page

tmacchant

>>  After a user fumbled through installing two outdated versions of
>>  Octave because they insisted on following scattered instructions, I
>>  updated the info on the Wiki [1] for v4,2.0 (it still had 4.0.3 as the
>>  most recent version).  Two questions:
>>
>>  1 - Is it necessary to move cygwin instructions under the 4.2.0
>>  section? If so, can they just be moved from the 4.0.3 section or does
>>  antyhing need to be changed?
>>
>>  2 - Windows zip version includes both octave.bat and octave.vbs.  I
>>  think the .vbs was added as a part of bug # 41074 [2].  Is there a
>>  particular reason to tell the user to make a shortcut to one or the
>>  other?
>>
>>  [1] http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Microsoft_Windows
>>  [2] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?41074
>>
>>  Nick J.
>

> Thank for the update for octave 4.2.0 for windows.
>
> 1. Cygwin version octave is also updated to 4.2.0.
> Marco is a maintainer Cygwin version octave  so I will add his address in reply
> list.
>

> 2. Shortcut made by octave installer now uses octave.vbs but not octave.bat.
> Perhaps there is no definite reason why tell the user to make shortcut to
> octave.vbs
> for zip archive.
>
> Tatsuro

This is forwarded message to the ML from Marco.

On 20/02/2017 10:04, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> [...]

updated the cygwin portion to 4.2.0

> Tatsuro

Regards
Marco