working on a project

Siddharth Pogul
Respected Sir,

I would like to work on the part of moving functions like rand, eye, etc. to matrix classes in your project.So it would be of great help if you provide me guidelines regarding that.Or if they have already been implemented, then please let me so that I could start working on some other part of the project.

Regards,
Siddharth Pogul

Re: working on a project

siko1056
Siddharth Pogul wrote
> [...] I would like to work on the part of moving functions like rand, eye,
> etc. to matrix classes [...]

To me it is not clear what you are trying to achieve with that.  Please be
more precise.

Kai.

Re: working on a project

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 14:27:04 -0700, siko1056 wrote:
> Siddharth Pogul wrote
> > [...] I would like to work on the part of moving functions like rand, eye,
> > etc. to matrix classes [...]
>
> To me it is not clear what you are trying to achieve with that.  Please be
> more precise.

I think this is in reference to the item on the Projects wiki
(https://wiki.octave.org/Projects):

 * Move rand, eye, xpow, xdiv, etc., functions to the matrix classes.

I guess that this has to do with moving code from libinterp into new
member functions in the Array template class.

Re: working on a project

Mike Miller-4
Hi Siddharth,

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 23:39:25 +0530, Siddharth Pogul wrote:
> I would like to work on the part of moving functions like rand, eye, etc.
> to matrix classes in your project.So it would be of great help if you
> provide me guidelines regarding that.Or if they have already been
> implemented, then please let me so that I could start working on some other
> part of the project.

Welcome to Octave, we are happy to have new contributors. You are asking
in the right place.

No, this project has not been worked on yet.

I am not very familiar with this project idea, but I can try to help you
with some general guidelines. The first that might help you is to get
familiar with Octave's code organization. This project concerns the
liboctave library, which is where the fundamental Array type and its
derived types are defined. Several of Octave's matrix operations are
defined as methods on these classes, such as abs, max, min, and sum.

Other operations on matrices are defined as bare functions in the
liboctinterp library.

This project is about refactoring and moving code from liboctinterp into
new methods in the Array classes.

If that makes sense to you and is still interesting, then you are on the
right track.

This has been done before for other operations, for example the 'diag'
function was refactored into diag methods in the Array and Matrix
classes in 2012. You can browse the mercurial repository history to see
how changes like this have been handled before. That's where I would
start.

Good luck,