workshop and sessions for OctConf 2018

Carnë Draug
Hi everyone

As you know, the Octave conference will happen soon, March 12-15 [1].
We are planning it to be mainly workshops, unconference, and code
sprint sessions.

We are looking for feedback on our pick of workshops and ideas for
more.  The ones we are currently considering are:

  * creating Octave packages
  * using Octave in C++ programs
  * hacking the Octave GUI
  * using mercurial
  * navigating Octave core source
  * hacking the interpreter
  * profiling

Please let us know which of those you would be interested and suggest
new ones.

If there's a workshop you would like to give, or a topic you would
like to discuss, please let us know too.  Preferably on the mailing
list so we can get more feedback from everyone.

Thank you

The OctConf committee

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: workshop and sessions for OctConf 2018

Ankit

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 5:22 AM, Svetlana Tkachenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am not attending; ideas that might be interesting:

- Internationalization of GNU Octave (this already exists, may need a review or expansion)?
- Internationalization of existing GNU Octave docs (nonexistant)?
- GNU Octave GUI documentation where it may easily be expanded and illustrated (nonexistant)?

I was also thinking for same.. That looks nice idea. Most of the GSoC participants are  bit uncomfortable with docs. IMO it needed to be reviewed.

-- Sveta

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: workshop and sessions for OctConf 2018

Michele Ginesi

On 02/27/2018 04:24 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:

> On 4 February 2018 at 17:27, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> As you know, the Octave conference will happen soon, March 12-15 [1].
>> We are planning it to be mainly workshops, unconference, and code
>> sprint sessions.
>>
>> We are looking for feedback on our pick of workshops and ideas for
>> more.  The ones we are currently considering are:
>>
>>    * creating Octave packages
>>    * using Octave in C++ programs
>>    * hacking the Octave GUI
>>    * using mercurial
>>    * navigating Octave core source
>>    * hacking the interpreter
>>    * profiling
>>
>> Please let us know which of those you would be interested and suggest
>> new ones.
>>
>> If there's a workshop you would like to give, or a topic you would
>> like to discuss, please let us know too.  Preferably on the mailing
>> list so we can get more feedback from everyone.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> The OctConf committee
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018
> If you are attending OctConf and are interested in any of the
> workshops and sessions, please let us know.  If you don't tell us,
> then we can't prepare them.
>
> Thank you
> Carnë

> Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
> Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
> https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Dear all,

sorry but I missed the first mail. I would be interested in giving a
small talk about my GSoC project. Unfortunately I will be able to be in
Geneve only the first two days.

--
Michele Ginesi

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: workshop and sessions for OctConf 2018

Rik-4
On 02/27/2018 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: workshop and sessions for OctConf 2018
From:
Carnë Draug [hidden email]
Date:
02/27/2018 07:24 AM
To:
octave maintainers mailing list [hidden email], Octave Help [hidden email]
Message:
2

[...]

I can volunteer to help lead a session on profiling, and possibly also on Mercurial (although Jordi or Mike are probably even better for this one).

I think these three topics could be the subject of unconference discussions:

1) Threading and how to create a stable interface between the interpreter and the GUI
2) The inadequacies of the print subsystem for publication-quality documents
3) OpenGL graphics system issues such as large ranges (need to scale data to fit within single-type values), performance, lack of WYSIWYG

--Rik

Join us March 12-15 at CERN near Geneva
Switzerland for OctConf 2018.  More info:
https://wiki.octave.org/OctConf_2018

Re: workshop and sessions for OctConf 2018

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Tue, 2018-02-27 at 09:23 -0800, Rik wrote:
>  I can volunteer to help lead a session on profiling, and possibly
>  also on Mercurial (although Jordi or Mike are probably even better
>  for this one).

I don't think either one of us is going this year. I didn't feel like
I've contributed enough this year to justify the expense of travelling
to Geneva. :-(

I think Mike has got other things going in.