2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Dear octave - team,
I recently already came up with this question but did not get a real reply: when I am trying to edit a file in octave (first time after start) it takes approximately 2 minutes until the dialog is working. After that it keeps working as long as octave is up and running (graphical interface). This holds true for both octave 5.1.0 and 5.2.0 and is reproducible on two different computers.
Any idea how I could debug this? I am on openSUSE 42.3 (64 Bit).
Thank you very much,
best

Dieter Jurzitza




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...

siko1056
On 2/11/20 5:33 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear octave - team,
> I recently already came up with this question but did not get a real reply: when I am trying to edit a file in octave (first time after start) it takes approximately 2 minutes until the dialog is working. After that it keeps working as long as octave is up and running (graphical interface). This holds true for both octave 5.1.0 and 5.2.0 and is reproducible on two different computers.
> Any idea how I could debug this? I am on openSUSE 42.3 (64 Bit).
> Thank you very much,
> best
>
> Dieter Jurzitza
>

Dear Dieter Jurzitza,

This problem seems related to bug #54607 [1].  As workaround, the Octave
GUI offers a setting

   Edit > Preferences > General (Tab) > "Use native file dialogs"

which should be DISABLED on your system.  With this setting disabled, a
non-native file dialog (looks slightly different from the standard one
used by KDE) should pop up within a second.

Personally, I use OpenSUSE 15.1 and face exactly the same problem.

Best regards,

Kai


[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54607


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AW: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Hello Kai,
thank you very much ... this did the trick, no more waiting, you made my day!
Take care

Dieter



-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...
Datum: 2020-02-12T03:32:11+0100
Von: "Kai Torben Ohlhus" <[hidden email]>
An: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

On 2/11/20 5:33 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear octave - team,
> I recently already came up with this question but did not get a real reply: when I am trying to edit a file in octave (first time after start) it takes approximately 2 minutes until the dialog is working. After that it keeps working as long as octave is up and running (graphical interface). This holds true for both octave 5.1.0 and 5.2.0 and is reproducible on two different computers.
> Any idea how I could debug this? I am on openSUSE 42.3 (64 Bit).
> Thank you very much,
> best
>
> Dieter Jurzitza
>

Dear Dieter Jurzitza,

This problem seems related to bug #54607 [1].  As workaround, the Octave
GUI offers a setting

   Edit > Preferences > General (Tab) > "Use native file dialogs"

which should be DISABLED on your system.  With this setting disabled, a
non-native file dialog (looks slightly different from the standard one
used by KDE) should pop up within a second.

Personally, I use OpenSUSE 15.1 and face exactly the same problem.

Best regards,

Kai


[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54607



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AW: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
In reply to this post by siko1056
Hello Kai Torben,
I took a look on the patch you provided. Would it be possible to replace all

value ("use_native_file_dialogs", true).toBool ()
by
value ("use_native_file_dialogs", false).toBool ()
in order to _not_ have the native file dialog as default (because it is is broken IMHO, for openSUSE at last)?
Thank you for your feedback,
take care

Dieter

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...
Datum: 2020-02-12T03:32:11+0100
Von: "Kai Torben Ohlhus" <[hidden email]>
An: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

On 2/11/20 5:33 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear octave - team,
> I recently already came up with this question but did not get a real reply: when I am trying to edit a file in octave (first time after start) it takes approximately 2 minutes until the dialog is working. After that it keeps working as long as octave is up and running (graphical interface). This holds true for both octave 5.1.0 and 5.2.0 and is reproducible on two different computers.
> Any idea how I could debug this? I am on openSUSE 42.3 (64 Bit).
> Thank you very much,
> best
>
> Dieter Jurzitza
>

Dear Dieter Jurzitza,

This problem seems related to bug #54607 [1].  As workaround, the Octave
GUI offers a setting

   Edit > Preferences > General (Tab) > "Use native file dialogs"

which should be DISABLED on your system.  With this setting disabled, a
non-native file dialog (looks slightly different from the standard one
used by KDE) should pop up within a second.

Personally, I use OpenSUSE 15.1 and face exactly the same problem.

Best regards,

Kai


[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54607



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...

siko1056
On 2/12/20 7:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello Kai Torben,
> I took a look on the patch you provided. Would it be possible to replace all
>
> value ("use_native_file_dialogs", true).toBool ()
> by
> value ("use_native_file_dialogs", false).toBool ()
> in order to _not_ have the native file dialog as default (because it is is broken IMHO, for openSUSE at last)?
> Thank you for your feedback,
> take care
>
> Dieter
>
Thanks for looking at this item.  In bug #54607 [1] it was decided to
use the native file dialogs by default.  They work on most Linux
distributions and look more "native" than that by QT.  openSUSE and
perhaps other KDE distributions have this backup setting in case you
have to wait 2 minutes.

Kai

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54607


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AW: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Hello Kai Torben,
the decision is fully understood. However, the openSUSE build causes trouble to people  and it could be easily circumvented by assigning "off" as the default.
openSUSE has other patches "in" so this add-on would be just another patch that prevents people from stepping into that trap until the issue has really been solved finally.
Therefore my question as I would create & provide a corresponding patch to openSUSE team if you could confirm my question. It is only about that "true" vs. "false" issue - if that would be insufficient I would step back, of course.
Thanks again,
take care

Dieter



-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...
Datum: 2020-02-12T11:33:10+0100
Von: "Kai Torben Ohlhus" <[hidden email]>
An: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

On 2/12/20 7:26 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello Kai Torben,
> I took a look on the patch you provided. Would it be possible to replace all
>
> value ("use_native_file_dialogs", true).toBool ()
> by
> value ("use_native_file_dialogs", false).toBool ()
> in order to _not_ have the native file dialog as default (because it is is broken IMHO, for openSUSE at last)?
> Thank you for your feedback,
> take care
>
> Dieter
>
Thanks for looking at this item.  In bug #54607 [1] it was decided to
use the native file dialogs by default.  They work on most Linux
distributions and look more "native" than that by QT.  openSUSE and
perhaps other KDE distributions have this backup setting in case you
have to wait 2 minutes.

Kai

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54607



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2 minutes delay time for the editor to become usable ...

siko1056
On 2/12/20 8:55 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello Kai Torben,
> the decision is fully understood. However, the openSUSE build causes trouble to people  and it could be easily circumvented by assigning "off" as the default.
> openSUSE has other patches "in" so this add-on would be just another patch that prevents people from stepping into that trap until the issue has really been solved finally.
> Therefore my question as I would create & provide a corresponding patch to openSUSE team if you could confirm my question. It is only about that "true" vs. "false" issue - if that would be insufficient I would step back, of course.
> Thanks again,
> take care
>
> Dieter
Yes, your suggested change should be sufficient.  Good idea to fix it at
openSUSE's open build service.  Please prepare a patch.

Best,
Kai