3.8 Release Update

Rik-4
11/18/13

There are now only two definitively blocking bugs remaining to be fixed before the 3.8 release:

Owner:??? #40607 mxe-octave: mixed uint64/double arithmetic incorrect (GUI-only)
Owner:??? #40545 Opening preferences causes the GUI to hang forever on OSX 10.9

In addition, unless someone responds e-mails me today to the contrary, I am going to freeze the GUI strings and ask the translators to prepare new translations.

--Rik

Re: 3.8 Release Update

Carnë Draug
On 18 November 2013 20:08, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 11/18/13
> In addition, unless someone responds e-mails me today to the contrary, I am
> going to freeze the GUI strings and ask the translators to prepare new
> translations.

I'm unsure about this, just throwing this around see what others
think. The community news window makes the online news appear as if
they're part of the program. Should we, and if yes how, translate them
to the configured language?

Carnë

Re: 3.8 Release Update

Michael Godfrey
On 11/18/2013 03:08 PM, Rik wrote:
11/18/13

There are now only two definitively blocking bugs remaining to be fixed before the 3.8 release:

Owner:??? #40607 mxe-octave: mixed uint64/double arithmetic incorrect (GUI-only)
Owner:??? #40545 Opening preferences causes the GUI to hang forever on OSX 10.9

In addition, unless someone responds e-mails me today to the contrary, I am going to freeze the GUI strings and ask the translators to prepare new translations.

--Rik
Looks right to me.  Please do not forget documentation (Manual) changeset in
#40538.

Michael

Re: translating Community News

Rik-4
On 11/18/2013 12:16 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 18 November 2013 20:08, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 11/18/13
>> In addition, unless someone responds e-mails me today to the contrary, I am
>> going to freeze the GUI strings and ask the translators to prepare new
>> translations.
> I'm unsure about this, just throwing this around see what others
> think. The community news window makes the online news appear as if
> they're part of the program. Should we, and if yes how, translate them
> to the configured language?
Offhand, I would say that we shouldn't translate this.  For one thing, it
is going to change relatively frequently (at least compared to a menu item
or preference option which probably won't change for years).  Second, if we
have limited translation efforts I think it might be better to use them on
the documentation.

--Rik

Re: translating Community News

Torsten
On 18.11.2013 21:48, Rik wrote:

> On 11/18/2013 12:16 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>> On 18 November 2013 20:08, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> 11/18/13
>>> In addition, unless someone responds e-mails me today to the contrary, I am
>>> going to freeze the GUI strings and ask the translators to prepare new
>>> translations.
>> I'm unsure about this, just throwing this around see what others
>> think. The community news window makes the online news appear as if
>> they're part of the program. Should we, and if yes how, translate them
>> to the configured language?
> Offhand, I would say that we shouldn't translate this.  For one thing, it
> is going to change relatively frequently (at least compared to a menu item
> or preference option which probably won't change for years).  Second, if we
> have limited translation efforts I think it might be better to use them on
> the documentation.

I agree to not translating the news.

There is John Swensen's patch
http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8242
that introduces the selection of displayed columns in the file browser
via the context menu (with new strings). Since this is a nice feature,
should we take this into the release? If yes I will have a look at the
patch tomorrow.

Torsten

On 11/18/2013 03:48 PM, Rik wrote:
On 11/18/2013 12:16 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 18 November 2013 20:08, Rik [hidden email] wrote:
>> 11/18/13
>> In addition, unless someone responds e-mails me today to the contrary, I am
>> going to freeze the GUI strings and ask the translators to prepare new
>> translations.
> I'm unsure about this, just throwing this around see what others
> think. The community news window makes the online news appear as if
> they're part of the program. Should we, and if yes how, translate them
> to the configured language?
Offhand, I would say that we shouldn't translate this.  For one thing, it
is going to change relatively frequently (at least compared to a menu item
or preference option which probably won't change for years).  Second, if we
have limited translation efforts I think it might be better to use them on
the documentation.

--Rik
It might make sense for "volatile" strings to refer people to Google translate.
Google translate does a pretty good job on short phrases which do not use
too many odd constructs.  And, it is easy to ask it to try other translations of pieces
of the text.

It begins to run into trouble with strings longer than a typical paragraph...

Michael

On 11/18/2013 01:02 PM, Torsten wrote:

> On 18.11.2013 21:48, Rik wrote:
>>> I'm unsure about this, just throwing this around see what others
>>> think. The community news window makes the online news appear as if
>>> they're part of the program. Should we, and if yes how, translate them
>>> to the configured language?
>> Offhand, I would say that we shouldn't translate this.  For one thing, it
>> is going to change relatively frequently (at least compared to a menu item
>> or preference option which probably won't change for years).  Second, if we
>> have limited translation efforts I think it might be better to use them on
>> the documentation.
> I agree to not translating the news.
>
> There is John Swensen's patch
> http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8242
> that introduces the selection of displayed columns in the file browser
> via the context menu (with new strings). Since this is a nice feature,
> should we take this into the release? If yes I will have a look at the
> patch tomorrow.

I think that would be fine.  It shouldn't disturb either numerical
calculations (core Octave) or translation strings so I think it can be
accommodated.

--Rik

Re: translating Community News

John Swensen-3
On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/18/2013 01:02 PM, Torsten wrote:
> On 18.11.2013 21:48, Rik wrote:
>>> I'm unsure about this, just throwing this around see what others
>>> think. The community news window makes the online news appear as if
>>> they're part of the program. Should we, and if yes how, translate them
>>> to the configured language?
>> Offhand, I would say that we shouldn't translate this.  For one thing, it
>> is going to change relatively frequently (at least compared to a menu item
>> or preference option which probably won't change for years).  Second, if we
>> have limited translation efforts I think it might be better to use them on
>> the documentation.
> I agree to not translating the news.
>
> There is John Swensen's patch
> http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8242
> that introduces the selection of displayed columns in the file browser
> via the context menu (with new strings). Since this is a nice feature,
> should we take this into the release? If yes I will have a look at the
> patch tomorrow.

I think that would be fine.  It shouldn't disturb either numerical
calculations (core Octave) or translation strings so I think it can be
accommodated.

--Rik

My patch will actually probably create four new translation strings:
"File size"
"File type"
"Date modified"
"Show hidden"