A MinGW release tomorrow?

Sebastien Loisel
David,

I'd like to try to get a MinGW release tomorrow. I don't mind trying to sort out the QT installation issues myself, however is there an updated octave-mingw zip file or do I just use the one I have?

Also, I don't have the bandwidth at home to host such a large file, and I'm not sure my alma mater (McGill) would be too pleased if I hosted a 100MB file there, and I still haven't sorted out the internet at my current institution (Geneva University). I did apply for a sourceforge project (will they be ok with a 100MB binary?) but this won't come in until mid-week. I know you have good bandwidth, but I'm not sure your home server is a good place for it...

Anyway, what do you think?

Sébastien Loisel

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Paul Kienzle
octave-forge is a perfectly reasonable place to host a mingw release.

You can host your code there as well.

I still believe the better approach is to add GUI functionality to
Octave and write the IDE in that, but he who writes the code makes the
rules.

- Paul

On Feb 18, 2006, at 3:23 PM, Sebastien Loisel wrote:

> David,
>
>  I'd like to try to get a MinGW release tomorrow. I don't mind trying
> to sort out the QT installation issues myself, however is there an
> updated octave-mingw zip file or do I just use the one I have?
>
>  Also, I don't have the bandwidth at home to host such a large file,
> and I'm not sure my alma mater (McGill) would be too pleased if I
> hosted a 100MB file there, and I still haven't sorted out the internet
> at my current institution (Geneva University). I did apply for a
> sourceforge project (will they be ok with a 100MB binary?) but this
> won't come in until mid-week. I know you have good bandwidth, but I'm
> not sure your home server is a good place for it...
>
>  Anyway, what do you think?
>
>  Sébastien Loisel

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Sebastien Loisel
On 2/19/06, Paul Kienzle <[hidden email]> wrote:
octave-forge is a perfectly reasonable place to host a mingw release.

David was telling me that Octave Forge is being phased out in favor of this new system, so I'm not sure the timing for merging into Octave Forge is right.

Sébastien Loisel

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Stéfan van der Walt
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 12:24:24AM +0100, Sebastien Loisel wrote:
> On 2/19/06, Paul Kienzle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David was telling me that Octave Forge is being phased out in favor of this new
> system, so I'm not sure the timing for merging into Octave Forge is
right.

As implied by its name, octave forge is a staging area for code that
is meant to eventually end up in octave.  I don't think you can ever
"phase out" your experimental development area.

Besides, we already have all the infrastructure in place (including
the sourceforge website) -- we may just as well use it.  I just wish
they'd hurry up with their plan to implement SVN (sorry, there I go
again).

Stéfan

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Sebastien Loisel
Ok well if that's the case, where do I put the MSI?

On 2/19/06, Stefan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 12:24:24AM +0100, Sebastien Loisel wrote:
> On 2/19/06, Paul Kienzle < [hidden email]> wrote:
> David was telling me that Octave Forge is being phased out in favor of this new
> system, so I'm not sure the timing for merging into Octave Forge is
right.

As implied by its name, octave forge is a staging area for code that
is meant to eventually end up in octave.  I don't think you can ever
"phase out" your experimental development area.

Besides, we already have all the infrastructure in place (including
the sourceforge website) -- we may just as well use it.  I just wish
they'd hurry up with their plan to implement SVN (sorry, there I go
again).

Stéfan

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

William Poetra Yoga H-2
On 2/19/06, Sebastien Loisel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David,
>
>  I'd like to try to get a MinGW release tomorrow. I don't mind trying to
> sort out the QT installation issues myself, however is there an updated
> octave-mingw zip file or do I just use the one I have?
>
>  Also, I don't have the bandwidth at home to host such a large file, and I'm
> not sure my alma mater (McGill) would be too pleased if I hosted a 100MB
> file there, and I still haven't sorted out the internet at my current
> institution (Geneva University). I did apply for a sourceforge project (will
> they be ok with a 100MB binary?) but this won't come in until mid-week. I
> know you have good bandwidth, but I'm not sure your home server is a good
> place for it...
>
>  Anyway, what do you think?
>
>  Sébastien Loisel

Um... I think you might like to change this part in configure.in:

AC_CHECK_LIB(readline,rl_set_screen_size,LIBS="$LIBS -lreadline",
    AC_MSG_ERROR(Readline is required.))

AC_CHECK_LIB(readline,rl_set_screen_size,LIBS="$LIBS -lreadline -lncurses",
    AC_MSG_ERROR(Readline is required.))

Otherwise configure fails, complaining that it can't find -lreadline
(well, at least on my system...).

William Poetra Yoga Hadisoeseno

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Sebastien Loisel
Um... I think you might like to change this part in configure.in :

AC_CHECK_LIB(readline,rl_set_screen_size,LIBS="$LIBS -lreadline",
    AC_MSG_ERROR(Readline is required.))

AC_CHECK_LIB(readline,rl_set_screen_size,LIBS="$LIBS -lreadline -lncurses",
    AC_MSG_ERROR(Readline is required.))

That's what I get for making changes in MinGW I don't go back to check in Linux.

Cheers,

Sébastien Loisel

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Shai Ayal-2
100MB!! -- that's one hefty distribution!

How is that distributed between octave, octave-workshop, and "all the
other stuff that it needs to get working"? I mean the octave-2.1.50
installer from octave-forge is 8MB.

And another silly question -- did you strip the binaries?  I know it's
along the lines of "did you plug it in" but I'm asking just in case ..

Shai

On 2/18/06, Sebastien Loisel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David,
>
> I'd like to try to get a MinGW release tomorrow. I don't mind trying to sort
> out the QT installation issues myself, however is there an updated
> octave-mingw zip file or do I just use the one I have?
>
> Also, I don't have the bandwidth at home to host such a large file, and I'm
> not sure my alma mater (McGill) would be too pleased if I hosted a 100MB
> file there, and I still haven't sorted out the internet at my current
> institution (Geneva University). I did apply for a sourceforge project (will
> they be ok with a 100MB binary?) but this won't come in until mid-week. I
> know you have good bandwidth, but I'm not sure your home server is a good
> place for it...
>
> Anyway, what do you think?
>
> Sébastien Loisel

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Quentin Spencer
Shai Ayal wrote:

>100MB!! -- that's one hefty distribution!
>
>How is that distributed between octave, octave-workshop, and "all the
>other stuff that it needs to get working"? I mean the octave-2.1.50
>installer from octave-forge is 8MB.
>
>And another silly question -- did you strip the binaries?  I know it's
>along the lines of "did you plug it in" but I'm asking just in case ..

Just to put things in perspective, the 2.9.x series adds dependencies on
ufsparse and glpk, and I'm not sure 2.1.50 even used fftw. Furthermore,
I believe the MinGW version David is working on includes octave-forge
with all of its optional dependencies: ginac, cln, qhull, gsl and more.
I doubt any of this was included in the 2.1.50 windows binary. I'm sure
a Matlab installer with the equivalent functionality would take at least
that much space. If you removed all of those dependencies, I'm sure it
could be much smaller, and if someone wanted to support such a thing, I
suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to use David's version as a
starting point.

-Quentin

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Shai Ayal-2
Well, I'm sure Matlab comes in a DVD, But I thought we weren't going
for BUG for BUG compatibility :)

How large are the FC RPMs you a re producing?

Shai

On 2/19/06, Quentin Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Shai Ayal wrote:
>
> >100MB!! -- that's one hefty distribution!
> >
> >How is that distributed between octave, octave-workshop, and "all the
> >other stuff that it needs to get working"? I mean the octave-2.1.50
> >installer from octave-forge is 8MB.
> >
> >And another silly question -- did you strip the binaries?  I know it's
> >along the lines of "did you plug it in" but I'm asking just in case ..
> >

> Just to put things in perspective, the 2.9.x series adds dependencies on
> ufsparse and glpk, and I'm not sure 2.1.50 even used fftw. Furthermore,
> I believe the MinGW version David is working on includes octave-forge
> with all of its optional dependencies: ginac, cln, qhull, gsl and more.
> I doubt any of this was included in the 2.1.50 windows binary. I'm sure
> a Matlab installer with the equivalent functionality would take at least
> that much space. If you removed all of those dependencies, I'm sure it
> could be much smaller, and if someone wanted to support such a thing, I
> suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to use David's version as a
> starting point.
>
> -Quentin

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Sebastien Loisel
I made an MSI overnight and it wasn't any fun at all. Now I have a 120MB file that installs Octave Workshop etc... fine but I estimate that it will take me 8 hours to upload it with my bandwidth. So either I'm going to wait until tonight and start it overnight, or more likely, I'll wait until tomorrow, when I go to the office with the laptop.

Cheers,

Sébastien Loisel

On 2/18/06, Sebastien Loisel <[hidden email]> wrote:
David,

I'd like to try to get a MinGW release tomorrow. I don't mind trying to sort out the QT installation issues myself, however is there an updated octave-mingw zip file or do I just use the one I have?

Also, I don't have the bandwidth at home to host such a large file, and I'm not sure my alma mater (McGill) would be too pleased if I hosted a 100MB file there, and I still haven't sorted out the internet at my current institution (Geneva University). I did apply for a sourceforge project (will they be ok with a 100MB binary?) but this won't come in until mid-week. I know you have good bandwidth, but I'm not sure your home server is a good place for it...

Anyway, what do you think?

Sébastien Loisel

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

David Bateman-3
Seb,

o-forge isn't being phased out, but rather the monolithic structure of
the current release will be when Soren's package manager is included in
octave itself. At that point octave-forge will probably become a CPAN
like archive for various octave related packages and toolboxes, and your
IDE might easily form one of these.

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE                  +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

Sebastien Loisel
Sorry, that's what I meant to say.

Cheers,

Sébastien Loisel

Shai Ayal wrote:

>Well, I'm sure Matlab comes in a DVD, But I thought we weren't going
>for BUG for BUG compatibility :)
>
>How large are the FC RPMs you a re producing?

Adding up octave, octave-forge and their main dependencies, it looks
like about 20 MB. However, the indirect dependencies that are already
installed on many linux systems can add a lot more (texinfo requires
tetex, which is 20 MB by itself).

-Quentin

>Shai
>
>On 2/19/06, Quentin Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Shai Ayal wrote:
>>

>>>100MB!! -- that's one hefty distribution!
>>>
>>>How is that distributed between octave, octave-workshop, and "all the
>>>other stuff that it needs to get working"? I mean the octave-2.1.50
>>>installer from octave-forge is 8MB.
>>>
>>>And another silly question -- did you strip the binaries?  I know it's
>>>along the lines of "did you plug it in" but I'm asking just in case ..
>>>

>>Just to put things in perspective, the 2.9.x series adds dependencies on
>>ufsparse and glpk, and I'm not sure 2.1.50 even used fftw. Furthermore,
>>I believe the MinGW version David is working on includes octave-forge
>>with all of its optional dependencies: ginac, cln, qhull, gsl and more.
>>I doubt any of this was included in the 2.1.50 windows binary. I'm sure
>>a Matlab installer with the equivalent functionality would take at least
>>that much space. If you removed all of those dependencies, I'm sure it
>>could be much smaller, and if someone wanted to support such a thing, I
>>suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to use David's version as a
>>starting point.
>>
>>-Quentin

Re: A MinGW release tomorrow?

John W. Eaton-6
On 19-Feb-2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| Adding up octave, octave-forge and their main dependencies, it looks
| like about 20 MB. However, the indirect dependencies that are already
| installed on many linux systems can add a lot more (texinfo requires
| tetex, which is 20 MB by itself).

Running Octave only requires makeinfo, not all of the texinfo
package.  It is unfortunate that the typical packages (Debian and
Cygwin at least) don't split the texinfo package into two pieces so
that one could get makeinfo without having to also get tetex, which is
quite large.  Perhaps we should file wishlist bug reports requesting
this change?

jwe