AM I Still Subscribed?

Martin Senator-2

Am I still subscribed to the help-octave list?
I havn't received any mail from the list since mid June.

If not, what do I do to get back on the list?

My old address was   "[hidden email]".

An alternate, and perhaps preferred new address is
"[hidden email]".

Thanks,

Martin Senator
Davidson Laboratory
Stevens Institute of Technology

computing speed

cheng-3
I am a little concerned about the speed of octave.
Is it faster that matlab?  It seems that same program
running on my P166 (using octave) take much more time
than using matlab on a workstation (with cpu speed
less than 166). Maybe it is only my problem? :)

Any known conclusions here? Just be curious. Thanks.

-cheng

computing speed

John W. Eaton-6
On 30-Jul-1997, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I am a little concerned about the speed of octave.
| Is it faster that matlab?  It seems that same program
| running on my P166 (using octave) take much more time
| than using matlab on a workstation (with cpu speed
| less than 166). Maybe it is only my problem? :)
|
| Any known conclusions here? Just be curious. Thanks.

I suppose it depends on what your code actually does.  A direct
comparison of execution time for two different machines probably
doesn't make much sense.

Loops and function calls are slow.  Built-in functions for numerical
computations that don't involve user-supplied functions are generally
pretty fast.

Perhaps Octave's interpreter will eventually be faster.  Would you
like to help make it happen?  Funding and code are both welcome.