ANNOUNCE: Octave Version 2.0.3 released

John W. Eaton-6
Octave version 2.0.3 is now available for ftp from ftp.che.wisc.edu
in the directory /pub/octave.  Diffs from the previous release are
also available in the same directory.

  -rw-r--r--   1 jwe  3312470 Feb 18 13:08 octave-2.0.3.tar.gz
  -rw-r--r--   1 jwe   217812 Feb 18 13:43 octave-2.0.2-2.0.3.patch.gz

In addition to the source distributions, there are binary
distributions available for Linux running on Intel systems, OSF/1
running on Alpha systems, and HP-UX 9.x running on HPPA systems.
Binary distributions for other platforms will be available from
ftp.che.wisc.edu when they are contributed by volunteers.  If you
would like to help to make a binary distribution available, please
contact [hidden email].

Version 2.0.3 is primarily a bug-fixing release.  Most bugs reported
since the release of version 2.0.2 have been fixed.  There are also a
few new features, including:

  * The manual has been completely revised and now corresponds much
    more closely to the features of the current version.

  * The return value for assignment expressions is now the RHS since
    that is more consistent with the way other programming languages
    work.  However, Octave still prints the entire LHS value so that

      x = zeros (1, 2);
      x(2) = 1

    still prints

      x =

        0  1

    but an assignment like

      z = x(2) = 1

    sets z to 1 (not [ 0, 1 ] as in previous versions of Octave).

  * It is now much easier to make binary distributions.  See the
    Binary Distributions section of the manual for more details.

You can help make Octave more reliable by reporting any bugs you find
to [hidden email].

Octave is a high-level interactive language primarily intended for
numerical computations.  It is mostly compatible with Matlab.

Additional information is available on the WWW at

  http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave

University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Chemical Engineering

Re: ANNOUNCE: Octave Version 2.0.3 released

niles-5

In readline

  gcc -Xlinker -exepct_unresolved -Xlinker '*' -o libreadline.so readline.o vi_mode.o funmap.o keymaps.o parens.o search.o rltty.o complete.o bind.o isearch.o display.o signals.o history.o tilde.o xmalloc.o ; \
fi
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/bin/ld:
-exepct_unresolved: Unknown flag

Typo!

        Rick Niles.

On 18-Feb-1997, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

|   gcc -Xlinker -exepct_unresolved -Xlinker '*' -o libreadline.so readline.o vi_mode.o funmap.o keymaps.o parens.o search.o rltty.o complete.o bind.o isearch.o display.o signals.o history.o tilde.o xmalloc.o ; \
| fi
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| /bin/ld:
| -exepct_unresolved: Unknown flag

Yes, this needs to be fixed in configure.in, kpathsea/configure.in,
and readline/configure.in.  Also, the value of SH_LDFLAGS needs to
include -shared on the Alpha, and the rule for making .oct files in
src/Makefile.in needs to use $(SH_LDFLAGS) instead of just -shared.

I will probably make another release in a few days to fix these
problems.