About GDAL and flatpak

Gustavo Cao Cancio
Is there any simple way of using the Mapping Toolbox along with the provided Octave 5.1.0 flatpak package?
checking for GDAL... no
checking for gdal-config... no
configure: WARNING: GDAL library not found.  Reading of raster files will be disabled.

Re: About GDAL and flatpak

Mike Miller-4
On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 20:12:05 +0200, Gustavo Cao Cancio wrote:
> Is there any simple way of using the Mapping Toolbox along with the provided Octave 5.1.0 flatpak package?
> checking for GDAL... no
> checking for gdal-config... no
> configure: WARNING: GDAL library not found.  Reading of raster files will be disabled.

One option is to just ignore that warning. It looks to me like an
optional feature. Do you know that you need GDAL support? As a non-user
of the mapping pkg, I would start by ignoring that warning and see if I
do need it later.

If you do need GDAL support, the simplest solution would be to install
some version of the GDAL library in your home directory. I haven't done
this, but I assume it would be something like

    - download and extract GDAL source tarball
    - ./configure --prefix=$HOME/gdal
    - make
    - make install
    - install mapping pkg with CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS set as needed

Another solution might be to file a feature request asking the mapping
package maintainers to consider bundling the GDAL library with the
package (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave). I'm
not sure if that's a reasonable task for the pkg maintainer or not, but
it's one possible solution.

Another solution might be to file a feature request asking the flatpak
maintainers to include the GDAL library in the Octave flatpak app
(https://github.com/flathub/org.octave.Octave/issues/new). I'm also not
sure if that's a reasonable task, and I'm one of the flatpak
maintainers, but it may be worth reporting and looking at anyway.

Cheers,