Add images to Octave

Avinoam
Hi,

In another discussion [1], Hartmut says that
"It would help to have some simple image files distributed along with the image package. Those could be used for tests and demos more easily."

How can we do it without violating copyrights?
Are there any open source image we use?

Thanks,

Avinoam

[1]  [https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9360]

Re: Add images to Octave

jbect
Le 27/05/2017 à 09:06, Avinoam a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> In another discussion [1], Hartmut says that
> "It would help to have some simple image files distributed along with the
> image package. Those could be used for tests and demos more easily."
>
> How can we do it without violating copyrights?
> Are there any open source image we use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Avinoam
>
> [1]  [https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9360]

Hi Avinoam,

Perhaps this can help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain_image_resources ?

@++
Julien

Re: Add images to Octave

Hartmut
Hi!

It was me, bringing up this topic in connection with tests and demos for newly contributed scripts to the image package.

Actually I already do have a bunch of image files available, where I double checked the copyrights. I could also easily find more properly licensed images if needed. My question regarding sample images in Octave  was more about:
* do we want this at all? It takes up "disk" space... (We should probably restrict ourselfs to a couple of files of <100k)
* should the images be in core or in the image package?
* in what folder should they go? (in order to be accessible for tests, in order to be installed during the user installation)
* where shall we put the list with the copyright notes? (most images would probably be cc-by oder cc-by-sa so we need to at least name the author and the licence of those images.)