Add missing function db2pow

NVS Abhilash
Hi all,

So, I saw that this is a very simple function to start with. So I want to ask, is it ok to go for it.

If yes can anyone tell me where to add that .m file, I assume octave/scripts/signal. But anyone's suggestion and thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
NVS
NVS Abhilash

Re: Add missing function db2pow

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 05:27:58 -0800, NVS Abhilash wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to octave programming and development, I am really interested
> in adding a missing function to octave, and while surfing the mailing list,
> I found this link
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/missing-functions-db2pow-and-pow2db-td4679753.html
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/missing-functions-db2pow-and-pow2db-td4679753.html>
>
> So, I saw that this is a very simple function to start with. So I want to
> ask, is it ok to go for it.
>
> If yes can anyone tell me where to add that .m file, I assume
> octave/scripts/signal. But anyone's suggestion and thoughts would be
> helpful.

This function will not be part of Octave, it would make more sense to
add to the signal package.

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39309#comment4 for some current
thoughts about domain-specific functions in core Octave.

If you are set on contributing a missing function to core Octave vs a
Forge package, take a look at the function
scripts/help/__unimplemented__.m, skip to the end of the file, where
there is a curated list of names of Matlab functions that Octave does
not yet have.

Please do ask about specific functions, as some people may already have
ideas, partial work, or the function may exist in other forms elsewhere
already.

Re: Add missing function db2pow

Also, at the risk of restating something obvious, any functions, code,
or documentation that you contribute to Octave or a package must be your
own work and you must have the right to redistribute it under the terms
of the GPL (or the license used by the package).

Re: Add missing function db2pow

NVS Abhilash
Mike Miller-4 wrote
On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 05:27:58 -0800, NVS Abhilash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to octave programming and development, I am really interested
> in adding a missing function to octave, and while surfing the mailing list,
> I found this link
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/missing-functions-db2pow-and-pow2db-td4679753.html
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/missing-functions-db2pow-and-pow2db-td4679753.html>
>
> So, I saw that this is a very simple function to start with. So I want to
> ask, is it ok to go for it.
>
> If yes can anyone tell me where to add that .m file, I assume
> octave/scripts/signal. But anyone's suggestion and thoughts would be
> helpful.

This function will not be part of Octave, it would make more sense to
add to the signal package.

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?39309#comment4 for some current
thoughts about domain-specific functions in core Octave.

If you are set on contributing a missing function to core Octave vs a
Forge package, take a look at the function
scripts/help/__unimplemented__.m, skip to the end of the file, where
there is a curated list of names of Matlab functions that Octave does
not yet have.

Please do ask about specific functions, as some people may already have
ideas, partial work, or the function may exist in other forms elsewhere
already.

Thank you Mike,

I went through the file, I found many functions, some felt out of scope for me now, but I got interested in doing the "userpath" function.

So I want to know weather it is ok to do so, or someone else is already working on it.

Thanks
NVS
NVS Abhilash