Add tclab to forge repository?

John Hedengren-3
I'm working on an Octave package for teaching programming and control called tclab. We have a similar package on pypi for Python: https://pypi.org/project/tclab/ available with pip install tclab.  Here is more information on the community initiative: https://apmonitor.com/heat.htm

What are the qualifications for adding a new package to forge? I'd like to make it available with:

pkg install -forge tclab

The web-site recommended that I join this group and start a discussion on adding it. It looks like many of the other packages are substantial toolboxes and this is only a small .m script to facilitate the Arduino lab connection - I'm not sure if it belongs.

Best regards,

John Hedengren
GEKKO Optimization Suite

----

Yes,

pkg install -forge tclab

is exactly what we need. John Eaton or Chris can help with it I'm sure.

I am fully supportive of this kind of development. Let me know if/how I  can help.

Jim

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 6:44 PM John Hedengren <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jim,

I created a new Octave/Matlab tclab class to help with connecting and accessing the functions. I’m also creating Jupyter notebooks that run Octave as tutorials for the lab (see attached, in development).

I’d like to create a new forge package to assist with installing this package with something like “”. Should I reach out to John Eaton?

pkg install -forge tclab

-John Hedengren

Re: Add tclab to forge repository?

siko1056
On 6/10/20 9:12 AM, John Hedengren wrote:

> I'm working on an Octave package for teaching programming and control
> called tclab. We have a similar package on pypi for Python:
> https://pypi.org/project/tclab/ available with *pip install tclab*.
> Here is more information on the community initiative:
> https://apmonitor.com/heat.htm
>
> What are the qualifications for adding a new package to forge? I'd like
> to make it available with:
> *
> *
> *pkg install -forge tclab *
>
> The web-site recommended that I join this group and start a discussion
> on adding it. It looks like many of the other packages are substantial
> toolboxes and this is only a small .m script to facilitate the Arduino
> lab connection - I'm not sure if it belongs.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John Hedengren
> GEKKO Optimization Suite
> https://machinelearning.byu.edu

Dear John Hedengren,

Thank you for your interest in creating an Octave package.  The
requirements for Octave Forge are listed here [1].  Please note, that an
Octave package is not necessarily an Octave "Forge" package.  Octave
Forge I would define as "managed hosting location for general purpose
packages".

It seems to me, you are maintaining a special purpose package for a
distinct audience (students of your university), that requires a special
hardware, that is only available in your lab?  I think in your case
using Octave Forge might not be worth the effort then.

If your students are using GNU Octave and your Octave code is built as
Octave package [2], you can tell your students to install packages by
giving an URL to an Octave package archive.  For example pythonic [3]:

  pkg install
https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/-/archive/v0.0.1/octave-pythonic-v0.0.1.tar.gz

This works with Octave 4.4 and newer.  The URL is admittedly a little
longer, but I think this is for your project the way to go.

Kai

[1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/developers.php
[2] https://octave.org/doc/v5.2.0/Creating-Packages.html#Creating-Packages
[3] https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic

Re: Add tclab to forge repository?

John Hedengren-3
Kai,

Thanks for the tip on creating my own tar.gz to distribute. The TCLab is used at ~50 universities and so far 7000 have been distributed or produced. I'll start with something like https://apmonitor.com/tclab-v0.0.1.tar.gz  Most users are Python and Matlab but I'd also like to make an Octave version available.

-John

--
Best regards,

John Hedengren
GEKKO Optimization Suite

Re: Add tclab to forge repository?

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 4:11 PM John Hedengren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip on creating my own tar.gz to distribute. The TCLab is used at ~50 universities and so far 7000 have been distributed or produced. I'll start with something like https://apmonitor.com/tclab-v0.0.1.tar.gz  Most users are Python and Matlab but I'd also like to make an Octave version available.

Let us know when you have that url working and we can test if it
installs. It is just a matter of running

pkg install https://apmonitor.com/tclab-v0.0.1.tar.gz

assuming the tar.gz is a package compatible with pkg. Let us know if
you need some support packaging your software.