Added 3D graphics card - do I need to recompile Octave?

Added 3D graphics card - do I need to recompile Octave?

Labitt, Bruce
I recently added a graphics card to my RHEL5.2 linux box.  Do I need to
recompile octave and or gnuplot to take advantage of this?  Or does the
current implementation not even use the hardware accelerator in a
graphics card?

Thanks,
Bruce

Re: Added 3D graphics card - do I need to recompile Octave?

Bill Denney-5
Labitt, Bruce wrote:
> I recently added a graphics card to my RHEL5.2 linux box.  Do I need to
> recompile octave and or gnuplot to take advantage of this?  Or does the
> current implementation not even use the hardware accelerator in a
> graphics card?
Hi Bruce,

I don't think that anything will need to be recompiled to make use of
your new graphics card.  I would guess (though this is only a guess)
that you would want to make sure that X-windows is using the correct
server to take advantage of the graphics card and that everything else
should fall into place.

Have a good day,

Bill

Re: Added 3D graphics card - do I need to recompile Octave?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
2008/9/16 Bill Denney <[hidden email]>:

> Labitt, Bruce wrote:
>> I recently added a graphics card to my RHEL5.2 linux box.  Do I need to
>> recompile octave and or gnuplot to take advantage of this?  Or does the
>> current implementation not even use the hardware accelerator in a
>> graphics card?
> Hi Bruce,
>
> I don't think that anything will need to be recompiled to make use of
> your new graphics card.  I would guess (though this is only a guess)
> that you would want to

This is accurate; Octave doesn't look at anything about the graphics
card during compilation; any of the fancy 3d stuff is abstracted away
through OpenGL anyways (and not enabled by default, if it's even
available at all). The X video driver takes care of all this stuff.

> make sure that X-windows

Ack! "X Window System", "X server", "X.org" to refer to the current
leading implementation, or just "X", but not "X Windows".

Well, the Unix Hater's Hanbook does refer to it as "X Windows", but
that's just precisely because they are haters. ;-)

- Jordi G. H.