Addition of new functions

Ravindra Challa
Dear Team Octave,

You guys are doing great job in providing open source software. Your UI has improved a lot.

I would like to propose addition of functions such as

1.) rae2ecef: which converts polar coordinates in topocentric to Earth centered earth fixed coordinate system

2.) enu2ecef: East North up to ECEF

3.) ecef2enu: ECEF to ENU

4.)enu2geodetic

5.) ned2ecef

Many more functions which are predominantly used by many data analytic users in the field of astrodynamics.

I'm new to this Octave modification group. Please guide me how to add these.

Re: Addition of new functions

PhilipNienhuis
Ravindra Challa wrote

> Dear Team Octave,
>
> You guys are doing great job in providing open source software. Your UI
> has
> improved a lot.
>
> I would like to propose addition of functions such as
>
> 1.) rae2ecef: which converts polar coordinates in topocentric to Earth
> centered earth fixed coordinate system
>
> 2.) enu2ecef: East North up to ECEF
>
> 3.) ecef2enu: ECEF to ENU
>
> 4.)enu2geodetic
>
> 5.) ned2ecef
>
> Many more functions which are predominantly used by many data analytic
> users in the field of astrodynamics.
>
> I'm new to this Octave modification group. Please guide me how to add
> these.

Those functions would belong in the Octave-Forge mapping package, see here:
https://octave.sourceforge.io/mapping/index.html

You can upload contributions to the Octave patch tracker, see here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=octave
If you peruse that patch tracker you'll find several contributions to the
mapping package, and if you follow the discussions in those patch reports
you'll get a feeling of how the process works.
Please make sure you first make yourself comfortable with Octave's (GNU)
coding style. As mapping package maintainer I'd also like to see proper
input validation.

And there's a wiki page on the patch tracker, see:
https://wiki.octave.org/Mapping_package

Good luck!

Philip

Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html

Re: Addition of new functions

PhilipNienhuis
By what looks like sheer coincidence some of the functions you mentioned have
been contributed just a few hours ago in patch #9918 by an anonymous
contributor.

rae2ecef - don't you mean "aer2ecef"? - the latter is already in the mapping
package v.1.4.0
enu2ecef, ecef2enu - in progress
enu2geodetic, geodetic2enu - ditto
+ some others - ditto.

I'll upload reviewed versions of the new contributions maybe somewhere this
Easter. A new mapping package could be some weeks or months away, but once
pushed the new files can be downloaded and added to your local mapping
package installation manually.

In the mean time I'd appreciate independent testing of similar functions
already available in the current mapping package (hint !), as AFAICS those
functions have underwent little testing in the wild and my own geodesy
proficiency is meager (being a mere hydrogeologist I mainly use GIS and maps
I/O functions).

Philip

--
Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html