Additions for OS X

Per Persson
Hi,
I've been adding a few pieces to get octave building out-of-the box for
OS X.
In particular I'd like your opinion on the way I'm thinking about
handling errors in BLAS routines.
Presently this is done by providing our own implementation of xerbla,
but the Mach-O format of OS X does not allow this kind of approach.
The BLAS libs provided in OS X allows us to install an error handler
instead, so I introduced a INSTALL_BLAS_ERRORHANDLER option in
configure which leaves XERBLA to be empty in src/Makefile if true (see
below). This flag would also be used to actually switch in error
handling code. Is this an acceptable change?

/Per

ifeq ($(INSTALL_BLAS_ERRORHANDLER), true)
   TMP_XERBLA =
   TMP_XERBLAPIC =
else
   TMP_XERBLA = ../libcruft/blas-xtra/xerbla.o
   TMP_XERBLAPIC = ../libcruft/blas-xtra/pic/xerbla.o
endif

XERBLA = $(TMP_XERBLA)

ifeq ($(SHARED_LIBS), true)
   ifeq ($(STATIC_LIBS), true)
     LIBRARIES = liboctinterp.$(LIBEXT) liboctinterp.$(SHLEXT_VER)  else
     LIBRARIES = liboctinterp.$(SHLEXT_VER)
     ifdef FPICFLAG
       XERBLA = $(TMP_XERBLAPIC)
     endif
   endif
else
   ifeq ($(STATIC_LIBS), true)
     LIBRARIES = liboctinterp.$(LIBEXT)
   else
     ## This is not going to work, but hey, you asked for it...
     LIBRARIES =
     XERBLA =
   endif
endif

Additions for OS X

John W. Eaton-6
On  6-Nov-2002, Per Persson <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I've been adding a few pieces to get octave building out-of-the box for
| OS X.
| In particular I'd like your opinion on the way I'm thinking about
| handling errors in BLAS routines.
| Presently this is done by providing our own implementation of xerbla,
| but the Mach-O format of OS X does not allow this kind of approach.
| The BLAS libs provided in OS X allows us to install an error handler
| instead, so I introduced a INSTALL_BLAS_ERRORHANDLER option in
| configure which leaves XERBLA to be empty in src/Makefile if true (see
| below). This flag would also be used to actually switch in error
| handling code. Is this an acceptable change?

Seems OK.  How do you set INSTALL_BLAS_ERRORHANDLER?

jwe