Asking ffor package to be released under GPL compatible licenses

Asking ffor package to be released under GPL compatible licenses

fgnievinski
I've taken the liberty of adding a caveat to:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Asking_for_package_to_be_released_under_GPL:_examples>
"Please notice that code from the MathWorks FileExchange are normally released under the 3-clause modified BSD licence (e.g., [1]), which is GPL-compatible (see [2] and [3]), therefore you only need to ask authors if the code would be available outside of Matlab Central (e.g., the author's own website or directly via email), so as to bypass clause 2.ii in the website Terms of Use (see the FAQ for background). Authors do not need to release their code under the GPL to have it incorporated into a GPL program (see [4] for practical implementation)."

<http://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Asking_for_package_to_be_released_under_GPL%3A_examples&action=historysubmit&diff=4034&oldid=2142>

Re: Asking ffor package to be released under GPL compatible licenses

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 12:09 -0800, fgnievinski wrote:
> I've taken the liberty of adding a caveat to:
> <http://wiki.octave.org/Asking_for_package_to_be_released_under_GPL:_examples>

I have removed this. It is the goal of the GNU project to promote free
software and the GPL. The Mathworks purged the GPL from Matlab Central
some years ago so that they could add restrictions such as disallowing
the usage of the code outside of Matlab. We want to promote the GPL in
order to ensure that this can't happen again. As it is right now,
Matlab File Exchange is misleadingly distributing software that
appears free but is in fact non-free.

If authors are already happy giving us their software outside of
Matlab File Exchange, then it's not usually onerous for them to allow
it to be GPL'ed. One of Agora's goals is to eventually host the GPL'ed
code that got purged from Matlab Central. That way, we can ensure that
restrictions such as the one that the Mathworks imposed cannot happen
again.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Asking ffor package to be released under GPL compatible licenses

Carnë Draug
On 6 February 2014 20:17, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 12:09 -0800, fgnievinski wrote:
>> I've taken the liberty of adding a caveat to:
>> <http://wiki.octave.org/Asking_for_package_to_be_released_under_GPL:_examples>
>
> I have removed this. It is the goal of the GNU project to promote free
> software and the GPL. The Mathworks purged the GPL from Matlab Central
> some years ago so that they could add restrictions such as disallowing
> the usage of the code outside of Matlab. We want to promote the GPL in
> order to ensure that this can't happen again. As it is right now,
> Matlab File Exchange is misleadingly distributing software that
> appears free but is in fact non-free.
>
> If authors are already happy giving us their software outside of
> Matlab File Exchange, then it's not usually onerous for them to allow
> it to be GPL'ed. One of Agora's goals is to eventually host the GPL'ed
> code that got purged from Matlab Central. That way, we can ensure that
> restrictions such as the one that the Mathworks imposed cannot happen
> again.

I believe there was some missunderstanding here. I put a notice back
that still warns people when sending an email is not required, without
any of the legal talk [1]. A link to the FAQ that explains was given
instead.

Carnë

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Asking_for_package_to_be_released_under_GPL%3A_examples&action=historysubmit&diff=4037&oldid=4035

Re: Asking ffor package to be released under GPL compatible licenses

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 February 2014 20:17, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2014-02-06 at 12:09 -0800, fgnievinski wrote:
>>> I've taken the liberty of adding a caveat to:
>>> <http://wiki.octave.org/Asking_for_package_to_be_released_under_GPL:_examples>
>>
>> I have removed this. It is the goal of the GNU project to promote free
>> software and the GPL. The Mathworks purged the GPL from Matlab Central
>> some years ago so that they could add restrictions such as disallowing
>> the usage of the code outside of Matlab. We want to promote the GPL in
>> order to ensure that this can't happen again. As it is right now,
>> Matlab File Exchange is misleadingly distributing software that
>> appears free but is in fact non-free.
>>
>> If authors are already happy giving us their software outside of
>> Matlab File Exchange, then it's not usually onerous for them to allow
>> it to be GPL'ed. One of Agora's goals is to eventually host the GPL'ed
>> code that got purged from Matlab Central. That way, we can ensure that
>> restrictions such as the one that the Mathworks imposed cannot happen
>> again.
>
> I believe there was some missunderstanding here. I put a notice back
> that still warns people when sending an email is not required, without
> any of the legal talk [1]. A link to the FAQ that explains was given
> instead.
>
> Carnë
>
> [1] http://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Asking_for_package_to_be_released_under_GPL%3A_examples&action=historysubmit&diff=4037&oldid=4035

I do not understand something. If the author uses a proprietary
license then one needs to ask for GPL-compatible release. Other wise
is a hussle to upload those packages to libre websites like Agora,
right?
I think the warning only applies if the intention is for personal use.
In the case we want to have it in a free-server then we need
GPL-compatible. Also if one plans to fork it....

Re: Asking ffor package to be released under GPL compatible licenses

fgnievinski
Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote

What proprietary license?  The 3-clause modified BSD, as used in the FileExchange, is non-proprietary and GPL-compatible.  If you have access to the same code (and under the same license) outside of Matlab Central, then you can post it in your website, incorporate it into your software, etc.  Agora may impose their own restrictions, but I don't think it'll forbid submission of free non-GPL software.
-F.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM, fgnievinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What proprietary license?

In most of the cases I have encounter: no license at all...
which defaults to full rights on the owner, afaik