Asking for Guidance

Abdallah Elshamy
Hello Everyone,

I am extremely glad that my proposal was accepted for GSoC. I will work very hard to meet your expectations.

This is the first step on the road to complete my project and I would like to take the next one.

I think that submitting a patch or solving a bug will be helpful to get more involved during the community bonding phase. If that is best thing to do, Can you please recommend me something to work on ? (I submitted the patches [1] & [2]. But, all my submissions were small patches and I think working on a medium one will be beneficial during the community bonding phase.)
If you think doing something else right now is better, please let me know what to do.

Best Regards,
Abdallah

Re: Asking for Guidance

nrjank
I think that submitting a patch or solving a bug will be helpful to get more involved during the community bonding phase. If that is best thing to do, Can you please recommend me something to work on ? (I submitted the patches [1] & [2]. But, all my submissions were small patches and I think working on a medium one will be beneficial during the community bonding phase.)
If you think doing something else right now is better, please let me know what to do.

Definitely lean toward what your mentor would prefer, it may be there are specific tasks/bugs/etc that would be related to your primary GSOC plan and build familiarity in the right area. But absent a particular direction, searching the help and bug list for 'missing function' and 'matlab compatibility' are usually easy places to start.  There are enough of them out there.

Being a little self serving:
- if you want to implement a triangulated multidimensional cubic spline you could always help polish off griddata incompatibilities. https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35178
- many 'simple' functions now need an 'all' option to be compatible, and complete fix will require working on both m-code and compiled code: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?58116

Welcome for GSoC 2020!

siko1056
Dear Abdallah,

Congratulations for being elected for GSoC [1].  Your project goal for
this summer (until end of August) is the integration of JSON encoding
and decoding into core Octave.

Ankit Raj and Sebastian Schöps are your co-mentors this summer, your
primary mentor will be me (Kai Torben Ohlhus).  Basically, most of the
communication shall happen in public on this mailing-list.  Please ask
whatever you like to know, we are happy to guide you.  Do not be
disappointed, if a reply of either of us might take up to one day.  Most
of us live and work in different time zones, for example, and are
working full-time next to contributing to the Octave project.

All May is intended to be the community bonding period.  This means, we
use this time to take care of all organizational questions towards an
successful GSoC-project of yours.

As a first step, please read carefully the student guide [2] and setup a
public blog (e.g. blogger [3], wordpress [4], ...) and send us the URL.
 I will syndicate it on Planet Octave [5].  Also, please give me a
preferred image to use as your "face" to identify you in syndication.
In the past years each GSoC student working on Octave reported there at
least weekly about their achievements, problems, and remaining work to
do.  This also helps you to structure your work and I think we should
continue this "tradition".

On 5/5/20 6:51 AM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:
> I think that submitting a patch or solving a bug will be helpful to get
> more involved during the community bonding phase. If that is best thing
> to do, Can you please recommend me something to work on ? (I submitted
> the patches [6] & [7]. But, all my submissions were small patches and I
> think working on a medium one will be beneficial during the community
> bonding phase.)
> If you think doing something else right now is better, please let me
> know what to do.

Regarding your question.  [7] is already merged with Octave core, thank
you for that contribution.  I can take a look at [6].  But for now, you
should focus on realizing and describing your JSON project.  This
especially means, that you get familiar with the codebase of Octave.
Where to find functions, how to add libraries, how to compile it, how to
test for regressions that come up with changes you did?

Finally, our main goal is to attract you to become a regular contributor
to Octave, even after GSoC is over.  This is what had happened to me
;-).  Please let us know about any obstacles towards this goal.

Kai

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6263027378159616
[2] https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/
[3] https://www.blogger.com/
[4] https://wordpress.com/
[5] https://planet.octave.org/

[6] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57699
[7] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57041

Re: Welcome for GSoC 2020!

Abdallah Elshamy
> Do not be disappointed, if a reply of either of us might take up to one day.
> Most of us live and work in different time zones, for example, and are
> working full-time next to contributing to the Octave project.
No problems at all. I understand that you have other commitments.

> As a first step, please read carefully the student guide
 I started reading it.

> setup a public blog (e.g. blogger , wordpress , ...) and send us the URL.
Here is the URL [1].

> I will syndicate it on Planet Octave .  Also, please give me a
> preferred image to use as your "face" to identify you in syndication.
I attached the image.

> In the past years each GSoC student working on Octave reported there at
> least weekly about their achievements, problems, and remaining work to
> do.  This also helps you to structure your work and I think we should
> continue this "tradition".
I also think it is a good tradition to continue. I will be reporting on it.

> But for now, you should focus on realizing and describing your JSON project.
> This especially means, that you get familiar with the codebase of Octave.
> Where to find functions, how to add libraries, how to compile it, how to
> test for regressions that come up with changes you did?
I will start by searching about how to add libraries and how to compile it since my project requires it. I will do some searching in the documentation and If I got stuck in something, I will ask here and/or the IRC channel.

> Finally, or main goal is to attract you to become a regular contributor
> to Octave, even after GSoC is over.  This is what had happened to me
> ;-).  Please let us know about any obstacles towards this goal.
I think that becoming a regular contributor is interesting. I will let you know immediately.

Thanks for your time,
Abdallah

Abdallah Elshamy- face image.jpg (33K) Download Attachment

[GSoC 2020] Community bonding

siko1056
Abdallah,

Thank you for establishing your blog [1].  I think to have managed to
syndicate it with Planet Octave.  Your first blog post will reveal if
things are working as expected ;-)  The current first three demo posts
do not appear in your RSS/Atom feeds.

For the mailing list communication, I suggest we prepend "[GSoC 2020] "
for organizational topics in every subject line.  This makes it easier
for maintainers to ignore those messages.  For technical questions of
general interest, feel free to drop this prefix.

On 5/7/20 7:45 AM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:

> [...]
>
>> But for now, you should focus on realizing and describing your
>> JSON project.
>>
>> This especially means, that you get familiar with the codebase of
>> Octave.  Where to find functions, how to add libraries, how to
>> compile it, how to test for regressions that come up with changes
>> you did?
>
> I will start by searching about how to add libraries and how to compile
> it since my project requires it. I will do some searching in the
> documentation and If I got stuck in something, I will ask here and/or
> the IRC channel.
>
> [...]

A further first task for you is to setup a public clone/fork of the
Octave Mercurial (hg) repository for your GSoC work.  You should keep
your clone in sync with the Octave main repository.  This is perfect
Mercurial training.  Messing up things there does not disturb the
regular Octave development.

Because of Mercurial support, recent GSoC students were suggested to use
Bitbucket.  Unfortunately, this is not longer an option [2].
Sourceforge [3] or Savannah still offer this support, but are rather
slow/outdated/inconvenient in my personal perception.

Another way to go was to use the git-mirrors of Mike [4,5], which enable
other options for popular git hosting solutions.  If you want to go this
way, I can ask Mike how we can help him maintaining his work.

Kai

[1] https://abdallahshamy.wordpress.com
[2] https://bitbucket.org/blog/sunsetting-mercurial-support-in-bitbucket
[3] https://sourceforge.net/
[4] https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave
[5] https://github.com/mtmiller/octave

Re: [GSoC 2020] Community bonding

Abdallah Elshamy
> Another way to go was to use the git-mirrors of Mike, which enable
> other options for popular git hosting solutions.  If you want to go this way,
I prefer to go this way. I have forked the repository [1]  and cloned it on my local machine. I also added the original repository [2] as a remote (usually called upstream) to sync with it.

> I can ask Mike how we can help him maintaining his work.
If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

I continued reading the student guide [3]. it has some useful info.
Following its ideas, I would like to schedule my regular report on my blog [4] to be on every Thursday (If this day is not suitable, Any other day is fine by me.) starting from next week.

Yours,
Abdallah

On 5/8/20 10:50 AM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:

>     > Another way to go was to use the git-mirrors of Mike, which enable
>     > other options for popular git hosting solutions.  If you want to
>     go this way,
>
> I prefer to go this way. I have forked the repository [1]  and cloned it
> on my local machine. I also added the original repository [2] as a
> remote (usually called upstream) to sync with it.
>
>     > I can ask Mike how we can help him maintaining his work.
>
> If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

This sounds and looks good so far.  I asked Mike in another email about
the status of the GitHub upstream repo.

> I continued reading the student guide [3]. it has some useful info.
> Following its ideas, I would like to schedule my regular report on my
> blog [4] to be on every Thursday (If this day is not suitable, Any other
> day is fine by me.) starting from next week.
>
> Yours,
> Abdallah
>
> [1] https://github.com/Abdallah-Elshamy/octave
> [2] https://github.com/mtmiller/octave
> [3] https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/
> [4] https://abdallahshamy.wordpress.com

Blog updates on Thursday are fine with me.

Kai

Re: [GSoC 2020] Community bonding

Nir Krakauer-3
Congratulations again!

During the community bonding period, it's also important for you to
develop the schedule and milestones for your project. There are 3
evaluations that the mentors need to do for Google this summer, two
interim and one final. Work with your mentors now to make sure that
the project goals and technical approaches are well defined and
feasible and that you have a common understanding of what the
expectations are for progress by each evaluation.