Automatic GUI generator

Peter Norlindh
Hi,

I am planning to put together an Octave program that can handle a collection of data and algorithms.  I am going for an approach were all of the functionality is gathered in and managed by one main object "X".  And the aim is to develop the code continuously over a potentially long stretch of time.

The program will be quite easy to use through the Octave command window, but a more modern-style and intuitive GUI would be of great value.  However, due to the dynamic long-term development of the Octave class that defines X, it would be a significant and undesirable undertaking to keep the GUI up-to-date manually.  Therefore I'm pondering the idea of building a GUI generator that creates a tailored GUI as it loads the most recent version of X.

Does such a GUI generator seem like realistic and manageble technology?  Have you come across the idea elsewhere?  Could I handle Octave and X through Java, for instance?

/Peter

Re: Automatic GUI generator

briancady413
Have you thought of using the Rcommander GUI, which accepts plug-ins? Plug-ins are extensions of R commander, which itself is a GUI for learning R. There are IPSUR and HH plug-ins now. IPSUR stands for intro to probability and statistics using R.
You could write a plug-in, and thus use the R commander GUI.

Hope this helps,

Brian