Bessel functions?

Dave Cottingham-2
As I am in need of some Bessel functions, I picked up the latest
contrib archive of special functions from the very handy site
http://www.tsc.uvigo.es/GTS/Octave/oct_arch.html.  However, I cannot
get besselj to work.  It relies on functions j0 and j1, which are not
present in either octave 1.1.1 or 2.0, and which I can't find anywhere
in the contrib archive.  Does anybody know how to get this to work?

Thanks,
Dave Cottingham

Bessel functions?

John W. Eaton-6
On 16-Jan-1997, Dave Cottingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

: As I am in need of some Bessel functions, I picked up the latest
: contrib archive of special functions from the very handy site
: http://www.tsc.uvigo.es/GTS/Octave/oct_arch.html.  However, I cannot
: get besselj to work.  It relies on functions j0 and j1, which are not
: present in either octave 1.1.1 or 2.0, and which I can't find anywhere
: in the contrib archive.  Does anybody know how to get this to work?

Kurt Hornik's current collection of functions for Octave includes a
newer version of besslj() that uses jybess() instead of j0() or j1().
You can get Kurt's files from ftp.ci.tuwien.ac.at in the directory
/pub/export/octave.  I believe jybess() is available from the archive
of contributed functions at www.tsc.uvigo.es.

Re: Bessel functions?

Jim Van Zandt
In message <[hidden email]>, Dave Cottingham writes:
>As I am in need of some Bessel functions, I picked up the latest
>contrib archive of special functions from the very handy site
>http://www.tsc.uvigo.es/GTS/Octave/oct_arch.html.  However, I cannot
>get besselj to work.  It relies on functions j0 and j1, which are not
>present in either octave 1.1.1 or 2.0, and which I can't find anywhere
>in the contrib archive.  Does anybody know how to get this to work?

They are in the C math library under "SunOS mbunix 4.1.3_U1 3 sun4m"
and Linux.  If your library doesn't have them, you might try to
install the GNU library, glibc.  Or switch to Linux :-)

                                 - Jim Van Zandt

Re: Bessel functions?

Jim Van Zandt

Dave Cottingham writes:
>I am using Linux, it does have j0 in libm.a, but how does that help?
>Does somebody have a patch for octave to get it to use the j0 in the
>math library?

Pardon the memory glitch.  It must have been gnuplot that uses the
library version of j0 if available.

                                     - Jim Van Zandt

Bessel functions?

Kurt Hornik-2

> On 16-Jan-1997, Dave Cottingham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> : As I am in need of some Bessel functions, I picked up the latest
> : contrib archive of special functions from the very handy site
> : http://www.tsc.uvigo.es/GTS/Octave/oct_arch.html.  However, I cannot
> : get besselj to work.  It relies on functions j0 and j1, which are not
> : present in either octave 1.1.1 or 2.0, and which I can't find anywhere
> : in the contrib archive.  Does anybody know how to get this to work?

> Kurt Hornik's current collection of functions for Octave includes a
> newer version of besslj() that uses jybess() instead of j0() or j1().
> You can get Kurt's files from ftp.ci.tuwien.ac.at in the directory
> /pub/export/octave.  I believe jybess() is available from the archive
> of contributed functions at www.tsc.uvigo.es.

Right.

The initial versions simply used j0() and j1() because these have been
available under Linux for a long time.  Then, Eyal wrote jybess();  the
new bessel* functions are simply wrappers for that.

The new versions should appear in the Contrib Archive soon ... I am
having problem downloading the updated octave-ci collection I announced
yesterday.  Meanwhile, you can get the whole collection at the URL

        ftp://ftp.ci.tuwien.ac.at/pub/export/octave/octave-ci.tar.gz

Thanks,
-k