Best VirtualBox Linux Version for octave

Best VirtualBox Linux Version for octave

Richard Crozier
Hello,

I'm interested in trying out running octave using VirtualBox on my Windows PC (Win 7 Pro 64 Bit). Can anyone tell me which of the default Linux types available with VirtualBox would be best for running, and possibly building octave? My options are:

Linux 2.2
Linux 2.4
Linux 2.4 (64 bit)
Linux 2.6
Linux 2.6 (64 bit)
Arch Linux
Arch Linux (64 bit)
Debian
Debian (64 bit)
openSUSE
openSUSE (64 bit)
Fedora
Fedora (64 bit)
Gentoo
Gentoo (64 bit)
Mandriva
Mandriva (64 bit)
Red Hat
Red Hat (64 bit)
Turbolinux
Turbolinux (64 bit)
Ubuntu
Ubuntu (64 bit)
Xandros
Xandros (64 bit)
Oracle
Oracle (64 bit)

Thanks

Re: Best VirtualBox Linux Version for octave

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 7 August 2011 09:13, Richard Crozier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm interested in trying out running octave using VirtualBox on my
> Windows PC (Win 7 Pro 64 Bit). Can anyone tell me which of the
> default Linux types available with VirtualBox would be best for
> running, and possibly building octave?

This is a bit of a theological question, but I think the quality of
existing Octave packages for Debian is very high, even if they're a
little old by now, so I would use that.

Well, it is what I use now, exclusively.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Best VirtualBox Linux Version for octave

andy buckle
On 7 August 2011 15:13, Richard Crozier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in trying out running octave using VirtualBox on my Windows
> PC (Win 7 Pro 64 Bit). Can anyone tell me which of the default Linux types
> available with VirtualBox would be best for running, and possibly building
> octave? My options are:
>
> Linux 2.2
> Linux 2.4
> Linux 2.4 (64 bit)
> Linux 2.6
> Linux 2.6 (64 bit)
> Arch Linux
> Arch Linux (64 bit)
> Debian
> Debian (64 bit)
> openSUSE
> openSUSE (64 bit)
> Fedora
> Fedora (64 bit)
> Gentoo
> Gentoo (64 bit)
> Mandriva
> Mandriva (64 bit)
> Red Hat
> Red Hat (64 bit)
> Turbolinux
> Turbolinux (64 bit)
> Ubuntu
> Ubuntu (64 bit)
> Xandros
> Xandros (64 bit)
> Oracle
> Oracle (64 bit)
>
> Thanks

Don't think it matters. I don't know much about virtualbox. Octave
should be easily compiled on all of those distros, though. There is no
problem with 64 bit OSes. There are certainly active openSuSE and
debian users on the octave mailing lists who can help, probably some
users of all of those distros.

Andy

--
/* andy buckle */

Re: Best VirtualBox Linux Version for octave

bpabbott
On Aug 7, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in trying out running octave using VirtualBox on my Windows
> PC (Win 7 Pro 64 Bit). Can anyone tell me which of the default Linux types
> available with VirtualBox would be best for running, and possibly building
> octave? My options are:
>
> Linux 2.2
> Linux 2.4
> Linux 2.4 (64 bit)
> Linux 2.6
> Linux 2.6 (64 bit)
> Arch Linux
> Arch Linux (64 bit)
> Debian
> Debian (64 bit)
> openSUSE
> openSUSE (64 bit)
> Fedora
> Fedora (64 bit)
> Gentoo
> Gentoo (64 bit)
> Mandriva
> Mandriva (64 bit)
> Red Hat
> Red Hat (64 bit)
> Turbolinux
> Turbolinux (64 bit)
> Ubuntu
> Ubuntu (64 bit)
> Xandros
> Xandros (64 bit)
> Oracle
> Oracle (64 bit)
>
> Thanks

I run Ubuntu via Virtual Box and compile the developers sources as well. I don't have any meaningful experience with the others.

Ben

Re: Best VirtualBox Linux Version for octave

Richard Crozier

Ok, thanks for the advice everyone. I suppose what I'm really asking then is what flavour of Linux is best for running the latest release of Octave, and which is fastest updated with the latest release? For instance, is 3.4.2 available regardless of what version of Linux I use? Is there a difference in the time packages become available after a new release on different Linux versions?

Re: Best VirtualBox Linux Version for octave

Sergei Steshenko

> I'm interested in trying out running octave using
> VirtualBox on my Windows
> PC (Win 7 Pro 64 Bit). Can anyone tell me which of the
> default Linux types
> available with VirtualBox would be best for running, and
> possibly building
> octave? My options are:
>
> Linux 2.2
> Linux 2.4
> Linux 2.4 (64 bit)
> Linux 2.6
> Linux 2.6 (64 bit)
> Arch Linux
> Arch Linux (64 bit)
> Debian
> Debian (64 bit)
> openSUSE
> openSUSE (64 bit)
> Fedora
> Fedora (64 bit)
> Gentoo
> Gentoo (64 bit)
> Mandriva
> Mandriva (64 bit)
> Red Hat
> Red Hat (64 bit)
> Turbolinux
> Turbolinux (64 bit)
> Ubuntu
> Ubuntu (64 bit)
> Xandros
> Xandros (64 bit)
> Oracle
> Oracle (64 bit)
>
> Thanks

I routinely build 'octave' under 32 bit SUSE, but since I build all the
dependencies - starting from 'binutils', 'gcc', it really doesn't matter
that I'm using SUSE.

If it's your computer, why not repartition the disk and install Linux
along with Windows ?

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Best VirtualBox Linux Version for octave

Richard Crozier
> I routinely build 'octave' under 32 bit SUSE, but since I build all the
> dependencies - starting from 'binutils', 'gcc', it really doesn't matter
> that I'm using SUSE.

> If it's your computer, why not repartition the disk and install Linux
> along with Windows ?
>
> Regards,
>    Sergei.

I might well do this, and did this on my last PC, but it means rebooting
every time I need to switch back to windows. Also, although it's 'my' PC
I share it with others, i.e. my girlfriend. She will become annoyed if
she has to reboot the PC all the time to do stuff. Her employer insists
and depends on proprietary windows-only software.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.