Binary packages for 3.8

12345

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 24 Oct 2013, at 23:54, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2013, at 19:56, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've added both the the list of bugs in the hope they can be fixed before the next release.
>>
>> http://wiki.octave.org/3.8_Bug_Fix_List#Bugs_with_severity_.3E.3D_4
>>
>> Ben
>>

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new test version of the app bundle built from
> the development sources on Octave Forge.
>
> I would appreciate feedback from Mountain Lion users, I am
> almost sure it won't work on neither Lion or Mavericks, but
> I wouldn't mind if someone could confirm this.
>
> Attached is the list of licenses of all installed dependencies,
> could someone also confirm whther they are all GPLv3 compatible?
>
> Enjoy,
> c.

OH, I forgot to mention this is just a temporary test version that will only work if moved to /Applications.
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Administrator

On Oct 24, 2013, at 5:55 PM, c. wrote:

> On 24 Oct 2013, at 23:54, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 22 Oct 2013, at 19:56, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I've added both the the list of bugs in the hope they can be fixed before the next release.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.octave.org/3.8_Bug_Fix_List#Bugs_with_severity_.3E.3D_4
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded a new test version of the app bundle built from
>> the development sources on Octave Forge.
>>
>> I would appreciate feedback from Mountain Lion users, I am
>> almost sure it won't work on neither Lion or Mavericks, but
>> I wouldn't mind if someone could confirm this.
>>
>> Attached is the list of licenses of all installed dependencies,
>> could someone also confirm whther they are all GPLv3 compatible?
>>
>> Enjoy,
>> c.
>
> OH, I forgot to mention this is just a temporary test version that will only work if moved to /Applications.
> c.

You are correct, it does not run on Lion (MacOS 10.7.5).

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 25 Oct 2013, at 04:14, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are correct, it does not run on Lion (MacOS 10.7.5).
>
> Ben

Ben,

That was unfortunately expected.
I'd be curious to try see whether that can be fixed a posteriori.
Could you try running the Octave binary in the bundle from the
command line to see whether you get any informative error message?

I would try both

/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Octave      # use the startup script in the bundle

and

/Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin/octave # run the binary directly

Thanks,
c.

P.S. Jordi, does your mac have Mountain Lion (10.8)? Could you try the app yourself?

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

Lukas Reichlin-4
On 25.10.2013, at 09:59, "c." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2013, at 04:14, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You are correct, it does not run on Lion (MacOS 10.7.5).
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben,
>
> That was unfortunately expected.
> I'd be curious to try see whether that can be fixed a posteriori.
> Could you try running the Octave binary in the bundle from the
> command line to see whether you get any informative error message?
>
> I would try both
>
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Octave      # use the startup script in the bundle
>
> and
>
> /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin/octave # run the binary directly
>
> Thanks,
> c.
>
> P.S. Jordi, does your mac have Mountain Lion (10.8)? Could you try the app yourself?

3.7.7+ runs for me on OS X 10.8.5, but only if it is placed in /Applications and not in a subfolder of /Applications. I noticed that the editor doesn't recognize Octave keywords like elseif, endif and endfunction. In the editor styles settings, an Octave tab is missing as well.

Lukas

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

Lukas,

Thanks for your test!

On 25 Oct 2013, at 11:04, Lukas Reichlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 3.7.7+ runs for me on OS X 10.8.5, but only if it is placed in /Applications and not in a subfolder of /Applications.

Yes that is expected behaviour, I still have to make the bundle relocatable but it takes some effort, so I'll probably do it with the actual 3.8 release only ...

> I noticed that the editor doesn't recognize Octave keywords like elseif, endif and endfunction. In the editor styles settings, an Octave tab is missing as well.

That happens for me also with Octave installed from source,
I guess that's because I'm linking to an old version of qscintilla ...

Ben, I'm using qscintilla 2.4.6 as I recall you had problems linking to newer versions, is this still the case?

> Lukas

Thanks,
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

Torsten
On 25.10.2013 11:22, c. wrote:

> Lukas,
>
> Thanks for your test!
>
> On 25 Oct 2013, at 11:04, Lukas Reichlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 3.7.7+ runs for me on OS X 10.8.5, but only if it is placed in /Applications and not in a subfolder of /Applications.
>
> Yes that is expected behaviour, I still have to make the bundle relocatable but it takes some effort, so I'll probably do it with the actual 3.8 release only ...
>
>> I noticed that the editor doesn't recognize Octave keywords like elseif, endif and endfunction. In the editor styles settings, an Octave tab is missing as well.
>
> That happens for me also with Octave installed from source,
> I guess that's because I'm linking to an old version of qscintilla ...
>
> Ben, I'm using qscintilla 2.4.6 as I recall you had problems linking to newer versions, is this still the case?
>
>> Lukas
>
> Thanks,
> c.

The octave lexer was added to qscintilla in a later Version (). There
should be a matlab tab instead (which is not shown when the octave
lexer) is available.

Torsten

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 25 Oct 2013, at 11:49, Torsten <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The octave lexer was added to qscintilla in a later Version (). There
> should be a matlab tab instead (which is not shown when the octave
> lexer) is available.

Torsten,
I don't see the matlab tab either, just C++, Perl, Batch, Diff and Bash.
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 25 Oct 2013, at 11:22, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ben, I'm using qscintilla 2.4.6 as I recall you had problems linking to newer versions, is this still the case?

Here's the thread where the problem was reported:

   http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/editor-no-longer-working-on-MacOSX-tp4657753.html

is the problem with qscintilla 2.7 still present, or can I try upgrading qscintilla?

c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

Lukas Reichlin-4
On 25.10.2013, at 12:02, "c." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2013, at 11:49, Torsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The octave lexer was added to qscintilla in a later Version (). There
>> should be a matlab tab instead (which is not shown when the octave
>> lexer) is available.
>
> Torsten,
> I don't see the matlab tab either, just C++, Perl, Batch, Diff and Bash.
> c.

Same situation here, there's neither a Matlab nor Octave tab. By playing around with font settings, I found out that the editor thinks that m-files are Bash. It recognizes Octave keywords like function, if and else, also ## comments are recognized.

Lukas

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
On Oct 25, 2013, at 3:59 AM, c. wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2013, at 04:14, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You are correct, it does not run on Lion (MacOS 10.7.5).
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben,
>
> That was unfortunately expected.
> I'd be curious to try see whether that can be fixed a posteriori.
> Could you try running the Octave binary in the bundle from the
> command line to see whether you get any informative error message?
>
> I would try both
>
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Octave      # use the startup script in the bundle

cd /Applications/Octave.app/Contents
./Octave
Segmentation fault: 11

> and
>
> /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin/octave # run the binary directly

cd /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin
./octave
Segmentation fault: 11

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
On Oct 25, 2013, at 6:11 AM, c. wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2013, at 11:22, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ben, I'm using qscintilla 2.4.6 as I recall you had problems linking to newer versions, is this still the case?
>
> Here's the thread where the problem was reported:
>
>   http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/editor-no-longer-working-on-MacOSX-tp4657753.html
>
> is the problem with qscintilla 2.7 still present, or can I try upgrading qscintilla?
>
> c.

Yes.  I'd assumed that the 2.7 version on Macports may have some problem, but it is also possible that 2.7 has new features that break our gui.

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2013, at 3:59 AM, c. wrote:
>
>> On 25 Oct 2013, at 04:14, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> You are correct, it does not run on Lion (MacOS 10.7.5).
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> That was unfortunately expected.
>> I'd be curious to try see whether that can be fixed a posteriori.
>> Could you try running the Octave binary in the bundle from the
>> command line to see whether you get any informative error message?
>>
>> I would try both
>>
>> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Octave      # use the startup script in the bundle
>
> cd /Applications/Octave.app/Contents
> ./Octave
> Segmentation fault: 11
>
>> and
>>
>> /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin/octave # run the binary directly
>
> cd /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin
> ./octave
> Segmentation fault: 11
>
> Ben

BTW, MacOS 10.9 has a new ABI.  My understanding is that Fink will be providing new binaries for Mavericks ... I assume the same will be true for macports(?)  Perhaps we should consider different bundles for each version of MacOS X we're going to support?

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

Lukas Reichlin-4
There is another problem: I cannot enter most of the brackets in the command window (it works in the editor, though). I can enter ] (alt-6 on my keyboard), but not [ (alt-5). Curly brackets {} don't work at all (alt-8 and alt-9).

Lukas

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

John Swensen-3
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Oct 25, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2013, at 3:59 AM, c. wrote:
>
>> On 25 Oct 2013, at 04:14, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> You are correct, it does not run on Lion (MacOS 10.7.5).
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> That was unfortunately expected.
>> I'd be curious to try see whether that can be fixed a posteriori.
>> Could you try running the Octave binary in the bundle from the
>> command line to see whether you get any informative error message?
>>
>> I would try both
>>
>> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Octave      # use the startup script in the bundle
>
> cd /Applications/Octave.app/Contents
> ./Octave
> Segmentation fault: 11
>
>> and
>>
>> /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin/octave # run the binary directly
>
> cd /Applications/Octave.app/Resources/bin
> ./octave
> Segmentation fault: 11
>
> Ben

BTW, MacOS 10.9 has a new ABI.  My understanding is that Fink will be providing new binaries for Mavericks ... I assume the same will be true for macports(?)  Perhaps we should consider different bundles for each version of MacOS X we're going to support?

Ben

It seems to be running well (other than the pager and other issues that have been previously discussed) on a mid-2009 Macbook Pro running Mavericks. I couldn't get it to start at all after first copying it to the Applications directory. However, I ran it manually from the Resource/bin subdirectory of the .app bundle from the command line to try to figure out why and it started right up. I can now subsequently run it fine by opening the .app file without resorting to the terminal.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 25 Oct 2013, at 13:59, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW, MacOS 10.9 has a new ABI.  My understanding is that Fink will be providing new binaries for Mavericks ... I assume the same will be true for macports(?)  Perhaps we should consider different bundles for each version of MacOS X we're going to support?

Yes, that seems to be the only possibility at the moment.
Is anyone willing to donate one or two licenses of Mavericks so that we can work on a bundle for OSX 10.9?

> Ben
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

John Swensen-3
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25 Oct 2013, at 13:59, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW, MacOS 10.9 has a new ABI.  My understanding is that Fink will be providing new binaries for Mavericks ... I assume the same will be true for macports(?)  Perhaps we should consider different bundles for each version of MacOS X we're going to support?

Yes, that seems to be the only possibility at the moment.
Is anyone willing to donate one or two licenses of Mavericks so that we can work on a bundle for OSX 10.9?

> Ben
c.

Mavericks is free for any owners of Apple hardware newer than Sept 2009 or who already has Snow Leopard or newer installed.

John Swensen

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

bpabbott
Administrator

On Oct 25, 2013, at 10:41 AM, John Swensen wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 25 Oct 2013, at 13:59, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > BTW, MacOS 10.9 has a new ABI.  My understanding is that Fink will be providing new binaries for Mavericks ... I assume the same will be true for macports(?)  Perhaps we should consider different bundles for each version of MacOS X we're going to support?
>
> Yes, that seems to be the only possibility at the moment.
> Is anyone willing to donate one or two licenses of Mavericks so that we can work on a bundle for OSX 10.9?
>
> > Ben
> c.
>
> Mavericks is free for any owners of Apple hardware newer than Sept 2009 or who already has Snow Leopard or newer installed.
>
> John Swensen

Any chance bootcamp can be used to boot into different versions of MacOS X?

That would simplify supporting multiple versions of MacOS.

Ben

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

c.-2

On 25 Oct 2013, at 16:43, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any chance bootcamp can be used to boot into different versions of MacOS X?
>
> That would simplify supporting multiple versions of MacOS.

Yes, I'm not ready to upgrade my main system just yet, having it on a separate disk/partition would be much better ...

> Ben
c.

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

John Swensen-3
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25 Oct 2013, at 16:43, Ben Abbott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any chance bootcamp can be used to boot into different versions of MacOS X?
>
> That would simplify supporting multiple versions of MacOS.

Yes, I'm not ready to upgrade my main system just yet, having it on a separate disk/partition would be much better ...

> Ben
c.

Apple does not have an issue with OSX Host + OSX Guest under their license agreements. I have never run OSX as a guest OS, but have a labmate who used the following instructions to get up and running when he was in the same situation of wanting to develop on a higher version but not upgrade his "production OS"

John Swensen

Re: Binary packages for 3.8

Torsten
On 25.10.2013 12:21, Lukas Reichlin wrote:

> On 25.10.2013, at 12:02, "c." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 25 Oct 2013, at 11:49, Torsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The octave lexer was added to qscintilla in a later Version ().
>>> There should be a matlab tab instead (which is not shown when the
>>> octave lexer) is available.
>>
>> Torsten, I don't see the matlab tab either, just C++, Perl, Batch,
>> Diff and Bash. c.
>
> Same situation here, there's neither a Matlab nor Octave tab. By
> playing around with font settings, I found out that the editor thinks
> that m-files are Bash. It recognizes Octave keywords like function,
> if and else, also ## comments are recognized.
>
> Lukas

My mistake, the matlab and octave lexers were added with qscintilla
version 2.5.1. Therefore m-files are handled with the default lexer
which is bash.

Torsten

12345