Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7

Calvin Dodge
I have a couple of questions.

The Octave manual says "use a recent compiler".  Is GCC 4.8.5 deemed suitable for Octave and packages?  I've built Octave with it, but am having trouble with some packages.
For example, the "mpi" package fails.  When I try building it manually, it has conflicts with the Octave header files.   Given that the most recent mpi package is significantly older than the 4.4.1 release, does this indicate that the mpi package hasn't been updated as Octave was, and requires an older release, like 3.8.2?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Calvin Dodge

Re: Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 15:59:35 +0000, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> The Octave manual says "use a recent compiler".  Is GCC 4.8.5 deemed
> suitable for Octave and packages?  I've built Octave with it, but am
> having trouble with some packages.

Yes, GCC 4.8 is the oldest GCC that can build current Octave releases.
You built Octave, so the compiler is suitable.

> For example, the "mpi" package fails.  When I try building it
> manually, it has conflicts with the Octave header files.   Given that
> the most recent mpi package is significantly older than the 4.4.1
> release, does this indicate that the mpi package hasn't been updated
> as Octave was, and requires an older release, like 3.8.2?

The mpi package is now being developed outside of Octave Forge, so you
can't install it with "pkg install -forge" now. Please take a look at
the latest package release announcement and try installing it again.

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2019-03/msg00072.html

Re: Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7

Carlo de Falco-2

> On 12 Mar 2019, at 16:59, Calvin Dodge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I try building it manually, it has conflicts with the Octave header files.   Given that the most recent mpi package is significantly older than the 4.4.1 release, does this indicate that the mpi package hasn't been updated as Octave was, and requires an older release, like 3.8.2?

Development of the mpi package is going on here :

  https://github.com/carlodefalco/octave-mpi

you can aslo find the latest release there which is 3.1.0
that requires Octave >= 5.1.

If you are stuck with Octave 4.4.1 for some reason, som older
releases of the mpi package can be downloade from here

  https://gitserver.mate.polimi.it/redmine/projects/octave-mpi/files

but I would actually highly reccomend upgrading to the latest octave release instead.

c.

RE: Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7

Calvin Dodge
Thanks, Carlo.  I now have the 2.2.1 tarball, and will try building it.

Sincerely,

Calvin Dodge

> On 12 Mar 2019, at 16:59, Calvin Dodge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I try building it manually, it has conflicts with the Octave header files.   Given that the most recent mpi package is significantly older than the 4.4.1 release, does this indicate that the mpi package hasn't been updated as Octave was, and requires an older release, like 3.8.2?

Development of the mpi package is going on here :

  https://github.com/carlodefalco/octave-mpi

you can aslo find the latest release there which is 3.1.0 that requires Octave >= 5.1.

If you are stuck with Octave 4.4.1 for some reason, som older releases of the mpi package can be downloade from here

  https://gitserver.mate.polimi.it/redmine/projects/octave-mpi/files

but I would actually highly reccomend upgrading to the latest octave release instead.

c.

RE: Building Octave 4.4.1 on Centos 7

Calvin Dodge
Carlo,

The 2.2.1 version installed without a problem.  Thanks for your help.