Building Octave4Android

vinukn
 Anyone tried to build Octave4Android using the clone from https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/master/octave ?  I cant, i think it does not contain any source code!

Re: Building Octave4Android

tmacchant
>Anyone tried to build Octave4Android using the clone from https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/master/octave ?  I cant, i think it does not contain any source code!

I also cannot see any source code. Some binary "jar" files exist.

Re: Building Octave4Android

vinukn
I think octave4andeoid uses octave source code,so it should release source code. Can I sell binaries of a GPL software?

--- On Fri, 2014/5/23, vinukn wrote:
> I think octave4andeoid uses octave source code,so it should release source
> code. Can I sell binaries of a GPL software?

Mike Miller shows the different address:
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-on-Android-td4658392i40.html#a4664200

[1] https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6

I do not  know details of the site above but the above have something different.

Tatsuro

Re: Building Octave4Android

Doug Stewart-4

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM, vinukn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think octave4andeoid uses octave source code,so it should release source
code. Can I sell binaries of a GPL software?

Yes you can sell Binaries.

See:

DASCertificate for 206392

--- On Fri, 2014/5/23, Doug Stewart wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM, vinukn wrote:
> I think octave4andeoid uses octave source code,so it should release source
> code. Can I sell binaries of a GPL software?
> Yes you can sell Binaries.
>
> See:
> https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#search/android/141dc7b9db357417

According to the following page,
http://wiki.octave.org/Android
"the source above makes it possible for you to duplicate his work and avoid paying him by undertaking the chore of building Octave for Android yourself. Any person with enough skill could take the Octave sources, Corbin's GitHub repository, and the Android SDK to reproduce his work without the need to pay for anything. Here is the donation dialog "

Important thing is that other people can build octave for Android from the octave source and the repository resources but not charge free or not.

For the pointer shown by Mike
https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6

I peer into one of the repository directory
https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6de607a99840f8b4e6dd40ae12460d2563/octave/Term/src/jackpal/androidterm

and found java source code.

I think that the pointer to the repository shown on the wiki is wrong.

Tatsuro

Re: Building Octave4Android

Andreas Weber-4
Am 23.05.2014 05:01, schrieb Tatsuro MATSUOKA:

> --- On Fri, 2014/5/23, Doug Stewart wrote:
>> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM, vinukn wrote:
>> I think octave4andeoid uses octave source code,so it should release source
>> code. Can I sell binaries of a GPL software?
>> Yes you can sell Binaries.
>>
>> See:
>> https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#search/android/141dc7b9db357417
> According to the following page,
> http://wiki.octave.org/Android
> "the source above makes it possible for you to duplicate his work and avoid paying him by undertaking the chore of building Octave for Android yourself. Any person with enough skill could take the Octave sources, Corbin's GitHub repository, and the Android SDK to reproduce his work without the need to pay for anything. Here is the donation dialog "
>
> Important thing is that other people can build octave for Android from the octave source and the repository resources but not charge free or not.
>
> For the pointer shown by Mike
> https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6
>
> I peer into one of the repository directory
> https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6de607a99840f8b4e6dd40ae12460d2563/octave/Term/src/jackpal/androidterm
>
> and found java source code.
>
> I think that the pointer to the repository shown on the wiki is wrong.
>
> Tatsuro

Dear Tatsuro,
Corbin removed most of the sourcecode with commit
6687c0b2826c1ee35496c1679ae756e34fe0d953
Do you think the wiki page should link to a specific commit rather than
the hole repository?

The Link behind "Here is the donation dialog [1]
<https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/blob/b3bb7f6de607a99840f8b4e6dd40ae12460d2563/octave/src/com/octave/octaveMain.java#L375>"
already links to the revision Mike posted.

In changeset 6687c0b2826c1ee35496c1679ae756e34fe0d953, there were 27,904
deletions which makes the repo in 23.Mai 2014 almost empty.
Perhaps we should ask Corbin what happened.

I made an update of the wiki page, please add more infos if you think
its not sufficient yet.

-- Andy

--- On Fri, 2014/5/23, Andreas Weber wrote:

> Am 23.05.2014 05:01, schrieb Tatsuro MATSUOKA:
> > --- On Fri, 2014/5/23, Doug Stewart wrote:
> >> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM, vinukn wrote:
> >> I think octave4andeoid uses octave source code,so it should release source
> >> code. Can I sell binaries of a GPL software?
> >> Yes you can sell Binaries.
> >>
> >> See:
> >> https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#search/android/141dc7b9db357417
> > According to the following page,
> > http://wiki.octave.org/Android
> > "the source above makes it possible for you to duplicate his work and avoid paying him by undertaking the chore of building Octave for Android yourself. Any person with enough skill could take the Octave sources, Corbin's GitHub repository, and the Android SDK to reproduce his work without the need to pay for anything. Here is the donation dialog "
> >
> > Important thing is that other people can build octave for Android from the octave source and the repository resources but not charge free or not.
> >
> > For the pointer shown by Mike
> > https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6
> >
> > I peer into one of the repository directory
> > https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6de607a99840f8b4e6dd40ae12460d2563/octave/Term/src/jackpal/androidterm
> >
> > and found java source code.
> >
> > I think that the pointer to the repository shown on the wiki is wrong.
> >
> > Tatsuro
> >
> Dear Tatsuro,
> Corbin removed most of the sourcecode with commit
> 6687c0b2826c1ee35496c1679ae756e34fe0d953
> Do you think the wiki page should link to a specific commit rather than
> the hole repository?
>
> The Link behind "Here is the donation dialog [1]
> <https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/blob/b3bb7f6de607a99840f8b4e6dd40ae12460d2563/octave/src/com/octave/octaveMain.java#L375>"
> already links to the revision Mike posted.
>
> In changeset 6687c0b2826c1ee35496c1679ae756e34fe0d953, there were 27,904
> deletions which makes the repo in 23.Mai 2014 almost empty.
> Perhaps we should ask Corbin what happened.
>
> I made an update of the wiki page, please add more infos if you think
> its not sufficient yet.
>
> -- Andy
Hi Andy

Thank you for your explanations.

> In changeset 6687c0b2826c1ee35496c1679ae756e34fe0d953, there were 27,904
> deletions which makes thehttps://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android.git repo in 23.Mai 2014 almost empty.
> Perhaps we should ask Corbin what happened.

I agree.
If  deletions affect creation of new works, it might be a problem for the GPL.

I think that it will be better to also mention the address pointed by Mike in addition to the root address considering current situation.

BTW, for the beginner, it might to be better to mention how to clone git repository:

$ git clone  https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android.git

(Refer gnulib page: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/)

It might be helpful, one can also download zip archives from the page using
"Download ZIP".

Tatsuro

Re: Building Octave4Android

corbinlc
Please contact me in the future if you want any information or want me to do something.  The way that Octave for Android is built has changed a lot.  The large scale deletion represented me having a git merge issue and trying to delete everything and then push everything back up, to avoid going through all the merge problems.  Looks like I was only partly successful.  A couple of weeks ago, I pushed all the GPL licensed code (all of the packages, including the main package) newly up to github.  I just pushed up yesterday a couple of build scripts and a readme under the build scripts directory that should help.

Corbin

Re: Building Octave4Android

tmacchant
> Please contact me in the future if you want any information or want me to do
> something.  The way that Octave for Android is built has changed a lot.  The
> large scale deletion represented me having a git merge issue and trying to
> delete everything and then push everything back up, to avoid going through
> all the merge problems.  Looks like I was only partly successful.  A couple
> of weeks ago, I pushed all the GPL licensed code (all of the packages,
> including the main package) newly up to github.  I just pushed up yesterday
> a couple of build scripts and a readme under the build scripts directory
> that should help.
>
> Corbin
Corbin

Thank you for reply and hard work.