Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

1234

Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

Abhinav Tripathi
Hi,
I started trying to build PyTave on windows. I used cygwin as I didn't know about any alternatives.
I had to install many packages at first (it was a fresh cygwin install)...
My octave on windows was installed at "e:/octave-4.0.0/"
.
When I do: "./configure OCTAVE_CONFIG=e:/octave-4.0.0/bin/octave-config.exe"
I got that linking with octave was failed. And the setup showed that "octave development packages" were not found.
I change the address of config file with "cygdrive/e/octave-4.0.0/bin/octave-config.exe" but got the same result.
.
Then I installed "octave-devel" package using "apt-cyg". On my 2G internet it took more than 3 hours and downloaded tonnes of packages and even install octave in cygwin (/bin/octave).
.
So, now I gave '/bin/octave-config' as the config file. (Although I think that I should not use this as octave is supposed to be installed on windows and not cygwin).
I still get the same error...
.
Any pointers as to how to proceed? Or any other methods to try this out (except cygwin)?
.
I have pasted the whole configure output (which is nearly identical for all 3 things that I tried)...:

Abhinav Tripathi@Abhinav /cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave
$ ./configure OCTAVE_CONFIG=/bin/octave-config
checking for g++... g++
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for g++ option to enable C++11 features... -std=gnu++11
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to enable C11 features... -std=gnu11
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu11 -E
checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
checking for octave-config filename... specified /bin/octave-config
checking for Octave library path... /usr/lib/octave/4.0.1
checking for Octave include path... /usr/include/octave-4.0.1/octave
checking whether linking to Octave works... no
configure: WARNING:
Can not link with Octave.

Make sure the Octave development package is installed.
configure: error: in `/cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave':
configure: error: unable to find Octave development files
See `config.log' for more details
.

Abhinav

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

tmacchant
--- ee130002001

> Hi,I started trying to build PyTave on windows. I used cygwin as I didn't know about any alternatives.
> I had to install many packages at first (it was a fresh cygwin install)...
> My octave on windows was installed at "e:/octave-4.0.0/"
> .
> When I do: "./configure OCTAVE_CONFIG=e:/octave-4.0.0/bin/octave-config.exe"
> I got that linking with octave was failed. And the setup showed that "octave development packages" were not found.
> I change the address of config file with "cygdrive/e/octave-4.0.0/bin/octave-config.exe" but got the same result.
> .
> Then I installed "octave-devel" package using "apt-cyg". On my 2G internet it took more than 3 hours and downloaded tonnes of packages and even install octave in cygwin (/bin/octave).
> .
> So, now I gave '/bin/octave-config' as the config file. (Although I think that I should not use this as octave is supposed to be installed on windows and not cygwin).
> I still get the same error...
> .
> Any pointers as to how to proceed? Or any other methods to try this out (except cygwin)?
> .
> I have pasted the whole configure output (which is nearly identical for all 3 things that I tried)...:
>
> Abhinav Tripathi@Abhinav /cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave
> $ ./configure OCTAVE_CONFIG=/bin/octave-config
> checking for g++... g++
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> checking for suffix of executables... .exe
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> checking for g++ option to enable C++11 features... -std=gnu++11
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for gcc option to enable C11 features... -std=gnu11
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu11 -E
> checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
> checking for octave-config filename... specified /bin/octave-config
> checking for Octave library path... /usr/lib/octave/4.0.1
> checking for Octave include path... /usr/include/octave-4.0.1/octave
> checking whether linking to Octave works... no
> configure: WARNING:
> Can not link with Octave.
>
> Make sure the Octave development package is installed.
> configure: error: in `/cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave':
> configure: error: unable to find Octave development files
> See `config.log' for more details
> .

On windows, there are two kind of octave. one is octave on *native* windows and octave on cygwin.
Theoretically *native* octave can built by cygwin using cross compiling tools but iirc noone succeed for that.

I have succeed to build octave native to windows using octave package itself and msys2.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html

perhaps you need python. it can be installed using msys2.

Tatsuro

> [...]

>>  Can not link with Octave.
>>
>>  Make sure the Octave development package is installed.
>>  ========================================================================
>>  configure: error: in `/cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave':
>>  configure: error: unable to find Octave development files
>>  See `config.log' for more details
>>  .
>>

> On windows, there are two kind of octave. one is octave on *native* windows and
> octave on cygwin.
> Theoretically *native* octave can built by cygwin using cross compiling tools
> but iirc noone succeed for that.
>
> I have succeed to build octave native to windows using octave package itself and
> msys2.
>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html
>
> perhaps you need python. it can be installed using msys2.

Hello

I have misled the situation.

Please leave from cygwin.
The cygwin can be one of the solution but it is not easy.
What you want to do build Pytave for octave for *native* windows so that
much better way exist.

First please update your octave for windows to 4.0.2 because 4.0.0 for windows is buggy.
Uninstall 4.0.0 first and install 4.0.2.
You can find octave 4.0.2 on https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

Follow the instruction for build octave on windows.
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html

First install Msys2 using information the above and update using information of msys2 in the above and below
https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/

After update core and basic tools, install base-devel toolchain.
pacman -S --needed base-devel msys/dos2unix

If you need additional tools like mercurial execute the below from msys2 prompt.
$ pacman -S mercurial

After Msys2 installed, follow the instruction for building octave.
At the bash prompt
you can try the usual unixy way.

Octave itself uses msys but not msys2.
But for both , drive C:/ is treated as /c/.

HTH

Tatsuro

> [...]

> You can find octave 4.0.2 on https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

> Follow the instruction for build octave on windows.
>>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html

> First install Msys2 using information the above and update using information of
> msys2 in the above and below
> https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/

> After update core and basic tools, install base-devel toolchain.
> pacman -S --needed base-devel msys/dos2unix

> If you need additional tools like mercurial execute the below from msys2 prompt.
> $ pacman -S mercurial

> After Msys2 installed, follow the instruction for building octave.
> At the bash prompt
> you can try the usual unixy way.

> Octave itself uses msys but not msys2.
> But for both , drive C:/ is treated as /c/.

Correction

> After Msys2 installed, follow the instruction for building octave.
> At the bash prompt
> you can try the usual unixy way.

After Msys2 installed, follow the instruction for building octave

*but modify it suitable to build of pytave*.

From the bash prompt
you can do it the usual unixy way.

HTH

Tatsuro

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 08:52:46 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> > --- ee130002001
[…]

> >>  Abhinav Tripathi@Abhinav /cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave
> >>  $ ./configure OCTAVE_CONFIG=/bin/octave-config
> >>  checking for g++... g++
> >>  checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> >>  checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.exe
> >>  checking for suffix of executables... .exe
> >>  checking whether we are cross compiling... no
> >>  checking for suffix of object files... o
> >>  checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
> >>  checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> >>  checking for g++ option to enable C++11 features... -std=gnu++11
> >>  checking for gcc... gcc
> >>  checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
> >>  checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> >>  checking for gcc option to enable C11 features... -std=gnu11
> >>  checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu11 -E
> >>  checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
> >>  checking for octave-config filename... specified /bin/octave-config
> >>  checking for Octave library path... /usr/lib/octave/4.0.1
> >>  checking for Octave include path... /usr/include/octave-4.0.1/octave
> >>  checking whether linking to Octave works... no
> >>  configure: WARNING:
> >>  ========================================================================
> >>  Can not link with Octave.
> >>
> >>  Make sure the Octave development package is installed.
> >>  ========================================================================
> >>  configure: error: in `/cygdrive/e/My_Repos/pytave':
> >>  configure: error: unable to find Octave development files
> >>  See `config.log' for more details

Just like the error message says, we need to see the details in
config.log for why this particular test failed to find the Octave header
files or libraries.

> Hello
>
> I have misled the situation.
>
> Please leave from cygwin.
> The cygwin can be one of the solution but it is not easy.
> What you want to do build Pytave for octave for *native* windows so that
> much better way exist.
>
> First please update your octave for windows to 4.0.2 because 4.0.0 for windows is buggy.
> Uninstall 4.0.0 first and install 4.0.2.
> You can find octave 4.0.2 on https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/

Actually I would recommend going to the development branch of Octave for
use with pytave. So if it's possible to build Octave from an hg clone in
the msys environment, that would be best. Second best would be running
'make dist' of a development version of Octave on a GNU/Linux system,
copying the tarball over to Windows, and building from the source
distribution in the msys environment.

Tatsuro, have you successfully built Octave's default branch in msys?

> Follow the instruction for build octave on windows.
> > http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html
>

> First install Msys2 using information the above and update using information of msys2 in the above and below
> https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/
>
> After update core and basic tools, install base-devel toolchain.
> pacman -S --needed base-devel msys/dos2unix
>
> If you need additional tools like mercurial execute the below from msys2 prompt.
> $ pacman -S mercurial
>
> After Msys2 installed, follow the instruction for building octave.
> At the bash prompt
> you can try the usual unixy way.
>
> Octave itself uses msys but not msys2.
> But for both , drive C:/ is treated as /c/.

Thanks for the details on setting this up.

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

tmacchant
>>  The cygwin can be one of the solution but it is not easy.
>>  What you want to do build Pytave for octave for *native* windows so that
>>  much better way exist.
>>
>>  First please update your octave for windows to 4.0.2 because 4.0.0 for
> windows is buggy.
>>  Uninstall 4.0.0 first and install 4.0.2.
>>  You can find octave 4.0.2 on https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/
>
> Actually I would recommend going to the development branch of Octave for
> use with pytave. So if it's possible to build Octave from an hg clone in
> the msys environment, that would be best. Second best would be running
> 'make dist' of a development version of Octave on a GNU/Linux system,
> copying the tarball over to Windows, and building from the source
> distribution in the msys environment.
>
> Tatsuro, have you successfully built Octave's default branch in msys?
>
>>  Follow the instruction for build octave on windows.
>>  >
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-tp4676652.html
>>

>>  First install Msys2 using information the above and update using
> information of msys2 in the above and below
>>  https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/
>>
>>  After update core and basic tools, install base-devel toolchain.
>>  pacman -S --needed base-devel msys/dos2unix
>>
>>  If you need additional tools like mercurial execute the below from msys2
> prompt.
>>  $ pacman -S mercurial
>>
>>  After Msys2 installed, follow the instruction for building octave.
>>  At the bash prompt
>>  you can try the usual unixy way.
>>
>>  Octave itself uses msys but not msys2.
>>  But for both , drive C:/ is treated as /c/.
>
> Thanks for the details on setting this up.

> Tatsuro, have you successfully built Octave's default branch in msys?

I have not tried yet.
If I will take a time I will try it.

But I have the dev version octave for windows built by mxe-octave.
If it is required, I can upload temporally on my web.
(IIRC, jwe do not like to distribute dev brach binaries to avoid confusion.
So I will be able to upload it in short term until Abhinav Tripathi can download it.)

Tatsuro

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

Abhinav Tripathi

Thank you. I'll try out the steps that you gave and post the results...

Abhinav

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

tmacchant
>Thank you. I'll try out the steps that you gave and post the results...
>Abhinav

Hello Abhinav Tripathi

I have uploaded dev. branched binary

octave-4.1.0+ mingw (64bit)
(hg clone on May 28, 2016)

http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/tmp/octave-4.1.0plus.2016-05-28-13-36.7z

size 156,309,823
sha1sum 8443e86c3501fbddad4dce5c8415802cdab2835a

Notes
1. Archived in 7zip. (see http://www.7-zip.org/)
2. This requires 64bit JRE from the oracle site if you want use the JAVA features.

I will delete the if Abhinav Tripathi will download it.

Tatsuro

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

Abhinav Tripathi
Thanks Tatsuro,
I have downloaded the file. you maye remove it now.
.
Abhinav

Tatsuro

On Jun 6, 2016 1:55 PM, "Tatsuro MATSUOKA" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Abhinav
>

> OK. I have delete it.
> I hope my binary will be useful for you.
>
> If you have questions for handing for Msys2 and its combination octave binaries,
> please let me know through the list.

Definitely. I'll try building pytave and using your binary in evening. I'll let you know if I stumble upon some error.

Thanks,
Abhinav

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

Abhinav Tripathi
Hi,
Thanks to Tatsuro, I was able to install many of the required packages to MSYS2 environment....
Although I have a few questions:
(Keeping in mind that I want to build PyTave such that it can later be distributed and built for users on windows like other octave packages)
.
1) Should I use mingw64 toolchains (gcc/python...) for building PyTave or the gcc I get with 'pacman -S gcc' would do?
.
2) While building on MSYS2, should I prefer calling .exe files or linux executables of the same program (python.exe or python)?
.
3) PyTave has libboost-python as dependency. Should I build boost on windows (from source) and then use it somehow on MSYS2 or should I build boost from source on the unixy environment of MYSY2?
If both would give the same result, which should be preferred?
I have to build it from source as 'pacman -S libboost-python' could not install it. Is there some other way to do it. (perhaps copy the files from my ubuntu machine?)
.
.
Abhinav

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Abhinav Tripathi <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 6, 2016 1:55 PM, "Tatsuro MATSUOKA" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Abhinav
>

> OK. I have delete it.
> I hope my binary will be useful for you.
>
> If you have questions for handing for Msys2 and its combination octave binaries,
> please let me know through the list.

Definitely. I'll try building pytave and using your binary in evening. I'll let you know if I stumble upon some error.

Thanks,
Abhinav

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

tmacchant

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

Abhinav Tripathi

For consistency reason, please use MinGW 64 installed in octave/bin directory.
You should not install gcc tool chains of msys2

Thanks.

To use MinGW gcc inside octave start Msys (not msys2) bash from octave prompt

1. Start octave (both gui or cli are OK.)
2. Start msys bash embedded on octave (Note not msys2!)  from octave prompt
 >> system bash

 You will see bash prompt
 bash-3.1$
3. export path from bash

$ export PATH=$PATH:/c/msys64/usr/bin

The above is required to use msys2 tools from msys embedded octave.
Path name should be changed if you install msys2 some other places.
If you use extra tools that should be placed under the path, you can add it.

Thanks for the steps but, it would mean using msys2 tools... So, when PyTave will be packages and installed (maybe via 'pkg install -forge') then we would assume msys2 to be present at the user's PC! But, octave only has msys.. Or, is it like if we can build using msys2 then we can adapt it to build using msys?

>2) While building on MSYS2, should I prefer calling .exe files or linux executables of the same program (python.exe or python)?

Msys and msys2 have specific executable files that understand unixy path /usr/local/
While *native* windows  program does not understand such path names. It uses windows specific path like C:\octave\ (C:/octave/).
Octave for windows itself is native

There two different python binaries on msys2.
Msys2 specific python and windows native (mingw 64) python.
This is very complicated situations.

Msys2 specific python binaries are prepared for building unixy program that require python on build process.

Windows native (mingw64) python  binaries are prepare for native use on windows.

If you need python for building, install msys2 python from msys2 prompt

In msys2 directory there are three terminal startup program for batch files.
 1. msys2
 2. mingw64 (use this if you use 64 bit program)
 3. mingw32 (use this if you use 32 bit program)

If you want install python on msys2 start msys2 prompt and execute
pacman -S python2
pacman -S python3 # if required.

Thanks for this explaination. Really helped. Just 1 question, 'python-dev' is not present for msys2 (atleast via pacman). '/usr/include' or '/usr/local/include' don't have the python headers either after doing both 'pacman -S python2' and 'pacman -S python3'.
I found that /mingw64/include has all the python headers that I need and used it instead
Will it be a good idea to build python from source on msys2 or simply use the one on mingw64?

>3) PyTave has libboost-python as dependency. Should I build boost on windows (from source) and then use it somehow on MSYS2 or should I build boost from source on the unixy environment of MYSY2?

I do not know libboost and libboost-python so that I cannot give you correct advises.

I checked packages of Msys2[a] and Mingw64[b]
[a] https://github.com/Alexpux/MSYS2-packages
[b] https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages

It seem that Mingw have boost

To install mingw boost execute on msys2
$ pacman -S  mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-boost # 64 bit
( $ pacman -S  mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-boost # 32 bit )

This saved me a lot of trouble. Thanks.
After doing this, to make libboost-python to work I had to rename a few dlls and library files (*.a and *.dll) because they weirdly had '-mt' appended to their name and didn't work because of that...

See:
https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/discussion/general/thread/13a5c241/

If you need build boost on windows with msys2
please refer
https://github.com/gtorrent/gtorrent-core/wiki/Building-on-Windows

Great... Thanks a lot for all the help. It really saved a lot of time...
.
Regards,
Abhinav

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

Colin Macdonald-2
On 13/06/16 23:18, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
> 3) PyTave has libboost-python as dependency.

IIRC, Mike had mentioned trying to remove the boost dependency.  That
would help with this.  But it also might be quite an effort, especially
if the Octave-within-Python part of PyTave needs to be ported too...

Colin

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Colin Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13/06/16 23:18, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
3) PyTave has libboost-python as dependency.

IIRC, Mike had mentioned trying to remove the boost dependency.  That would help with this.  But it also might be quite an effort, especially if the Octave-within-Python part of PyTave needs to be ported too...

Hmmm. We would need some alternative for boost-python... But then probably that would need to be built too. Well, currently I got it to work (with some renaming and all).
.
Finally, './configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev' works successfully using the octave that Tatsuro provided.
It just gave a warning that 'uselocale' is not supported! I dont know how to deal with that but since it was not a requirement so i went ahead anyway.
.
Now, when I issue 'make' , I get the following output:
$ make
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory '/e/My_Repos/pytave'
/bin/sh ./libtool  --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -std=gnu++11 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.  -IE:\octave_dev\include\octave-4.1.0+ -IE:\octave_dev\include\octave-4.1.0+/octave -IC:/msys64/mingw64/include/python2.7 -IC:/msys64/mingw64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include   -g -O2 -MT _pytave_la-pytave.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/_pytave_la-pytave.Tpo -c -o _pytave_la-pytave.lo `test -f 'pytave.cc' || echo './'`pytave.cc
libtool: compile:  g++ -std=gnu++11 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -IE:octave_devincludeoctave-4.1.0+ -IE:octave_devincludeoctave-4.1.0+/octave -IC:/msys64/mingw64/include/python2.7 -IC:/msys64/mingw64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include -g -O2 -MT _pytave_la-pytave.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/_pytave_la-pytave.Tpo -c pytave.cc  -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC -o .libs/_pytave_la-pytave.o
pytave.cc:32:24: fatal error: octave/oct.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [Makefile:614: _pytave_la-pytave.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/e/My_Repos/pytave'
make: *** [Makefile:476: all] Error 2

For some reason, libtool is messing with the address passed with a backslash ('\'). (I've bolden the part in the message which is being changed). It's passed correctly via make, but libtool is probably escaping the characters!?.
Is there a way to change the default path separator for make (or maybe libtool)?
I saw that probably AC_PATH_TOOL is used to build/find the path. But, couldn't find how to change it.
Any suggestions?
.
Abhinav

> [...]

>pytave.cc:32:24: fatal error: octave/oct.h: No such file or directory
>compilation terminated.
>make[1]: *** [Makefile:614: _pytave_la-pytave.lo] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory '/e/My_Repos/pytave'
>make: *** [Makefile:476: all] Error 2
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

>For some reason, libtool is messing with the address passed with a backslash ('\'). (I've bolden the part in the message which is being changed). It's passed correctly via make, but libtool is probably escaping the characters!?.
>Is there a way to change the default path separator for make (or maybe libtool)?
>I saw that probably AC_PATH_TOOL is used to build/find the path. But, couldn't find how to change it.

How about set CPPFLAGS and environment variables before configure?

CPPFLAGS='-IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+ -IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+/octave' \
./configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev

Tatsuro

On Jun 15, 2016 4:20 AM, "Tatsuro MATSUOKA" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How about set CPPFLAGS and environment variables before configure?
>
> CPPFLAGS='-IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+ -IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+/octave' \
> ./configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev
>

> Tatsuro

Thanks, setting CPPFLAGS added extra flags to compiler and the compilation passed. But, we would probably need a more generic solution.
I tried replacing all '\' by '/' in the variable in the makefile but it didn't work. I've very little experience with makefiles and I got some weird errors about the variable not been defined!!
Although I left that to be dealt later as the compilation is successful now.
.
But the linking step fails now.
It calls grep then sed and then:
It somehow gives a warning that the library file have been moved (which is present in /e/octave_dev/lib/octave/4.1.0+/)
And tries to use it from /usr/lib/octave/4.1.0+!!
But the library files are actually present in the previous directory only and not in /usr/lib

(I can't paste the output now, I'll paste it in the evening if the problem still persists)
.
I'm trying to see where grep/sed are called. Or where is the library being searched in /usr/lib...
Any suggestions?

.
Abhinav

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

tmacchant
>On Jun 15, 2016 4:20 AM, "Tatsuro MATSUOKA" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How about set CPPFLAGS and environment variables before configure?
>>
>> CPPFLAGS='-IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+ -IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+/octave' \
>> ./configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev
>>

>> Tatsuro
>Thanks, setting CPPFLAGS added extra flags to compiler and the compilation passed. But, we would probably need a more generic solution.
>I tried replacing all '\' by '/' in the variable in the makefile but it didn't work. I've very little experience with makefiles and I got some weird errors about the variable not been defined!!
>Although I left that to be dealt later as the compilation is successful now.
>.
>But the linking step fails now.
>It calls grep then sed and then:
>It somehow gives a warning that the library file have been moved (which is present in /e/octave_dev/lib/octave/4.1.0+/)
>And tries to use it from /usr/lib/octave/4.1.0+!!
>But the library files are actually present in the previous directory only and not in /usr/lib
>(I can't paste the output now, I'll paste it in the evening if the problem still persists)
>.
>I'm trying to see where grep/sed are called. Or where is the library being searched in /usr/lib...
>Any suggestions?
>.
>Abhinav

Perhaps this is due to mix of the msys (inside octave) and msys2 (outside octave).
For octave build, the external libraries are only JAVA related things and their include files and
libraries  can be set in configure option like

../octave/configure --prefix=/c/usr/Tatsu/program/Octave/octaveBuild/4.1.0+/usr/local \
--disable-docs \
--with-java-homedir=/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Java/jdk1.8.0_91/bin \
--with-java-includedir=/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Java/jdk1.8.0_91/include \
--with-java-libdir=/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Java/jdk1.8.0_91/lib

However the above can be used only for octave itself case.

At this moment, it is better to find compromising points to go further.

Second workaround is to add also LDFLAGS like

CPPFLAGS='-IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+ -IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+/octave' \
LDFLAGS='-L/e/ocgtave_dev/lib' \
./configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev

(It may be required other -L<some lib dir> flag in LDFLAGS.)

We have to construct msys2 based system and
it also use config tools, include files and libraries in the octave directories.
(bin, include and lib)
I am at the moment very occupied with the jobs of my University so that
I cannot take the time for arrange better build environments.

Tatsuro

Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

Abhinav Tripathi

Perhaps this is due to mix of the msys (inside octave) and msys2 (outside octave).

Sorry for not mentioning this but actually I'm using the msys2 shell for now. I tried doing this from octave shell but it neither has 'pacman' nor I could get a few things to work. So, for the time being I thought to try out MSYS2 only.

Second workaround is to add also LDFLAGS like
CPPFLAGS='-IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+ -IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+/octave' \
LDFLAGS='-L/e/ocgtave_dev/lib' \
./configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev

(It may be required other -L<some lib dir> flag in LDFLAGS.)

I tried that too. It doesn't seem to be a problem of library path though. somehow grep and sed are finding it in some weird directory.

Well, I did the configure with the following:

$ CPPFLAGS='-I/e/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+ -I/e/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+/octave' LDFLAGS=-L/e/octave_dev/lib/octave/4.1.0+ ./configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev

Also, after that the compiling part is okay done. But linking still fails. I tried all sorts of things in the 'Makefile' created by configure. But, nothing seems to work. And I am too inexperienced with makefile to do much.
Following is the ouput of make:
------------------------------
$ make
make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory '/e/My_Repos/pytave'
/bin/sh ./libtool  --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++ -std=gnu++11  -g -O2 -module -LE:\octave_dev\lib\octave\4.1.0+ -L/e/octave_dev/lib/octave/4.1.0+ -o _pytave.la -rpath /../invalidpath _pytave_la-pytave.lo libpytave.la -lboost_python -loctinterp -loctave
libtool: warning: library 'E:\octave_dev\lib\octave\4.1.0+/liboctinterp.la' was moved.
/usr/bin/grep: /usr/lib/octave/4.1.0+/liboctave.la: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/octave/4.1.0+/liboctave.la: No such file or directory
libtool:   error: '/usr/lib/octave/4.1.0+/liboctave.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[1]: *** [Makefile:576: _pytave.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/e/My_Repos/pytave'
make: *** [Makefile:476: all] Error 2

Probably Mike could help (Assuming that the Makefile part of pytave was written by him).. Why are grep and sed being called at the linker stage? At what place in the Makefile.am (or any other m4 file) are they called? What are they supposed to do? Any suggestion to overwrite the directory they are searching in?
.
Abhinav