Calling octave-gui bahavior

José Luis García Pallero
Hello:

I've compiled the 3.8.0 rc and all works very well. When I open a
console and type octave-gui, the GUI is launched and I can work. But
I've noted that working on KDE (I don't know the behavior using Gnome
and others) if I try to execute octave-gui from the application
launcher, it can not be executed. I don't know also if this is a
problem of KDE or is octave related. Has anyone tried to put
octave-gui in the application launcher?

Thanks

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: Calling octave-gui bahavior

Pascal Dupuis-3
Maybe the first thing to try is to locate the file "octave.desktop"
inside your development dir, copy it to your Desktop dir and try to
double-click on it to launch it. It it fails, modify this
octave.desktop to generate error message, like f.i.
Exec = echo $prefix/usr/bin/octave > /tmp/myfile

see if paths are correct, and so on. Maybe you have to pass the
argument "--force-gui" and set "Terminal" to "false" ?

Regards

Pascal

On 12/14/2013 06:30 AM, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I've compiled the 3.8.0 rc and all works very well. When I open a
> console and type octave-gui, the GUI is launched and I can work.

You are not supposed to do that.  You should run "octave --force-gui"
because then Octave will give up the controlling terminal and then
launch the octave-gui binary.  That's needed for "less" to work properly
as the pager.

I'm beginning to think we should somehow eliminate or hide the
octave-gui binary because people seem to be confused about its purpose
and it seems we are going to see this confusion quite often.

 > But
> I've noted that working on KDE (I don't know the behavior using Gnome
> and others) if I try to execute octave-gui from the application
> launcher, it can not be executed. I don't know also if this is a
> problem of KDE or is octave related. Has anyone tried to put
> octave-gui in the application launcher?

I believe I have done this with Gnome and it works properly from a
desktop launcher there.

 From a desktop launcher it is OK to execute octave-gui directly IF you
do NOT select the "run in terminal" mode because that mode of starting a
program already sets it up without a controlling terminal.

2013/12/14, John W. Eaton <[hidden email]>:

> On 12/14/2013 06:30 AM, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I've compiled the 3.8.0 rc and all works very well. When I open a
>> console and type octave-gui, the GUI is launched and I can work.
>
> You are not supposed to do that.  You should run "octave --force-gui"
> because then Octave will give up the controlling terminal and then
> launch the octave-gui binary.  That's needed for "less" to work properly
> as the pager.
>
> I'm beginning to think we should somehow eliminate or hide the
> octave-gui binary because people seem to be confused about its purpose
> and it seems we are going to see this confusion quite often.
>
>  > But
>> I've noted that working on KDE (I don't know the behavior using Gnome
>> and others) if I try to execute octave-gui from the application
>> launcher, it can not be executed. I don't know also if this is a
>> problem of KDE or is octave related. Has anyone tried to put
>> octave-gui in the application launcher?
>
> I believe I have done this with Gnome and it works properly from a
> desktop launcher there.
>
>  From a desktop launcher it is OK to execute octave-gui directly IF you
> do NOT select the "run in terminal" mode because that mode of starting a
> program already sets it up without a controlling terminal.

Hello:

Finally, I managed to put octave GUI in the KDE desktop launcher. Two details:

1- I've installed octave locally in /opt and I have the bin/ folder on
my path, but for calling octave from desktop launcher the binary must
be (at least in KDE) indicated as full path
2- I must use /path/octave --force-gui. Even from the desktop
launcher, octave-gui does not works, as John said

Thanks

> jwe

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]