Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

Lo Sheng
Hi,

I have downloaded the latest source 2.0.8, but failed to install octave on
the Alpha Linux (RedHat 4.2).

During make, I got the followin errors:
------
[root@cactus bin]# make all 2>stderr.out
../../info/man.c: In function `find_man_formatter':
../../info/man.c:179: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different
size
   balgen:
   gradeq:
   reduce:
   scaleg:
   dasum:
   daxpy:
   dcabs1:
Compiler error line 8 of : floating exception during constant evaluation;
cannot recover
make[3]: *** [dcabs1.c] Error 3
make[2]: *** [blas] Error 2
make[1]: *** [libcruft] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
-----

Could someone please tell me what has went wrong? Even after make install,
the only files installed in /usr/local/bin are mkoctfile and octave-bug. I
can't seem to be able to get the binaries of octave.

Thank you in advance for your advice, I would greatly appreicate if you
could also cc your mail to my address [hidden email].

Best regards,


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

John W. Eaton-6
On  8-Jul-1997, Lo Sheng <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I have downloaded the latest source 2.0.8, but failed to install octave on
| the Alpha Linux (RedHat 4.2).
|
| During make, I got the followin errors:
| ------
| [root@cactus bin]# make all 2>stderr.out
| ../../info/man.c: In function `find_man_formatter':
| ../../info/man.c:179: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different
| size

This is probably not fatal, but should probalby be reported to the
texinfo maintainers.

|    balgen:
|    gradeq:
|    reduce:
|    scaleg:
|    dasum:
|    daxpy:
|    dcabs1:
| Compiler error line 8 of : floating exception during constant evaluation;
| cannot recover
| make[3]: *** [dcabs1.c] Error 3
| make[2]: *** [blas] Error 2
| make[1]: *** [libcruft] Error 2
| make: *** [all] Error 2

This is likely due to a bug in g77 or gcc -- are you using g77 or f2c +
gcc to compile the Fortran bits?

jwe


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

Takafumi Hayashi
> This is likely due to a bug in g77 or gcc -- are you using g77 or f2c +
> gcc to compile the Fortran bits?
Please let me know the version of g77 you used.
Regards,
---
Takafumi Hayashi             [hidden email]
The University of Aizu       phone : +81-242-37-2614
FCS Lab.                     fax   : +81-242-37-2734


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

Lo Sheng
On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Takafumi Hayashi wrote:

> > This is likely due to a bug in g77 or gcc -- are you using g77 or f2c +
> > gcc to compile the Fortran bits?
> Please let me know the version of g77 you used.

I am using the default gcc-2.7.2.1-2 that comes with the Red Hat Linux
4.2. Should use other compilers instead? Thanks!
___
                              * Lo Sheng *
                    * Software Engineer * ISS, NUS *
          * [hidden email] * (O) 772-6683 * (P) 6707-3746 *



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

Takafumi Hayashi
> > > This is likely due to a bug in g77 or gcc -- are you using g77 or f2c +
> > > gcc to compile the Fortran bits?
> > Please let me know the version of g77 you used.
>
> I am using the default gcc-2.7.2.1-2 that comes with the Red Hat Linux
> 4.2. Should use other compilers instead? Thanks!
If I can know the version of g77, I might be able to find the cause.
Please show me the result of exexcution of "g77 -v".
Regards,
---
Takafumi Hayashi             [hidden email]
The University of Aizu       phone : +81-242-37-2614
FCS Lab.                     fax   : +81-242-37-2734


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

Lo Sheng
On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Takafumi Hayashi wrote:

> If I can know the version of g77, I might be able to find the cause.
> Please show me the result of exexcution of "g77 -v".

Well, it appears that I don't have g77 installed. The result of "g77 -v"
is "g77:command not found".

I will try to get g77 and try again.

Thank you for your prompt reply!
___
                              * Lo Sheng *
                    * Software Engineer * ISS, NUS *
          * [hidden email] * (O) 772-6683 * (P) 6707-3746 *



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

John W. Eaton-6
In reply to this post by Lo Sheng
On  9-Jul-1997, Lo Sheng the Great <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I am using the default gcc-2.7.2.1-2 that comes with the Red Hat Linux
| 4.2. Should use other compilers instead? Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know and don't have an Alpha system running Linux to
use for testing.  Can you please debug this problem and let me know
what the solution is?

Thanks,

jwe


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

Russell Albright
John W. Eaton wrote:

>
> On  9-Jul-1997, Lo Sheng the Great <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | I am using the default gcc-2.7.2.1-2 that comes with the Red Hat Linux
> | 4.2. Should use other compilers instead? Thanks!
>
> Sorry, I don't know and don't have an Alpha system running Linux to
> use for testing.  Can you please debug this problem and let me know
> what the solution is?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe

You can run the digital unix binaries at
ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/2.0.8/ on redhat alpha.
I tried it out and it works. This solution may require a digital unix
license however. I am not sure.
--
Russ Albright http://www.math.clemson.edu/~ralbrig/


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't compile 2.0.8 on Alpha Linux

John W. Eaton-6
On  9-Jul-1997, Russell Albright <[hidden email]> wrote:

| You can run the digital unix binaries at
| ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/2.0.8/ on redhat alpha.
| I tried it out and it works. This solution may require a digital unix
| license however. I am not sure.

Those binaries are statically linked, so you shouldn't need the DU
libraries.  I don't think you need the DU licenses, but don't quote me
on that -- I don't know the legal details.

But for those of us who are interested in seeing free software work
well on its own, it would be best to find and squash the bugs rather
than just avoid them by using non-free solutions.

Thanks,

jwe