Cannot clone development sources

Alquama Salim
i am a noobie interested in Octave. I wished to see the code underlying but was unable to clone it. i used the command
hg clone https://www.octave.org/hg/octave
but it shows
abort: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway
please someone help me out cloning the whole thing in my system.
Thanks in advance

Re: Cannot clone development sources

Octave - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-12-17 at 22:54 +0530, Alquama Salim wrote:
> i am a noobie interested in Octave. I wished to see the code
> underlying but was unable to clone it. i used the command
> hg clone https://www.octave.org/hg/octave
> but it shows
> abort: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway
> please someone help me out cloning the whole thing in my system.
> Thanks in advance

This seems to be a problem on the server. The web-interface
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/ responds with the same error.
Accessing the repo via ssh is possible.

Torsten

Re: Cannot clone development sources

Bob Proulx
Torsten Lilge wrote:
> Alquama Salim wrote:
> > i am a noobie interested in Octave. I wished to see the code
> > underlying but was unable to clone it. i used the command
> > hg clone https://www.octave.org/hg/octave
> > but it shows
> > abort: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway
> > please someone help me out cloning the whole thing in my system.

Please try again.  The server was getting overloaded.

> > Thanks in advance
>
> This seems to be a problem on the server. The web-interface
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/ responds with the same error.
> Accessing the repo via ssh is possible.

Since last night we have been having external influences overloading
the git server that is shared with hg on the same system.  The
Savannah Hackers team knows about the problem and now have some
mitigation in effect to prevent the worst of it.  So hopefully it is
no longer negatively impacting everyone now.

If anyone had this problem please try the action again.  It should be
okay now.  Mostly.  Still perhaps getting transient overloads.

In detail the problem is that an external host is starting a download
of the emacs repository and the immediately either disconnecting or
being disconnected.  That is leaving a git-pack-objects process
running on the rather large repository.  It doesn't know that the
parent process has disconnected and exited until it eventually writes
to the output and finds the file descriptor closed.  At which time it
would exit itself.  But it is a large repository and that takes some
many minutes to happen.  In the meantime each of those processes is
hogging about 800 MB of ram with an active working set as it is
spinning through the repository files.  And then this is repeated
again and again dozens of times leaving dozens of large processes
running, hogging all available memory, and eventually driving the
system into memory thrash.  It's an I/O bandwidth overload of the file
system storage backlogging the running processes.

Bob

Re: Cannot clone development sources

Alquama Salim
It worked. thanks a lot