Changing mark/space for dashed lines in plots

Changing mark/space for dashed lines in plots

Rik-4
7/2/14

All,

If you take a look at the plot comparisons for plotyy_03 at
tech-chat.de/compare_plot_demos you will see that Octave uses a fairly
chunky dashed line for the '--' linestyle while both gnuplot and Matlab use
a slimmer dashed line.

It is rather easy to change the appearance of our dashed line, but I wanted
to collect some opinions about whether to do it and which style to use if
we do change.

Attached are three pdfs showing the various line styles.  The first is the
current style, dash_50 uses 50% mark/50% space, dash_75 uses 75% mark/25%
space.  Send back opinions to the maintainer's list.

Cheers,
Rik

dash_current.pdf (4K) Download Attachment
dash_50.pdf (4K) Download Attachment
dash_75.pdf (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Changing mark/space for dashed lines in plots

bpabbott
Administrator
On Jul 2, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 7/2/14
>
> All,
>
> If you take a look at the plot comparisons for plotyy_03 at
> tech-chat.de/compare_plot_demos you will see that Octave uses a fairly
> chunky dashed line for the '--' linestyle while both gnuplot and Matlab use
> a slimmer dashed line.
>
> It is rather easy to change the appearance of our dashed line, but I wanted
> to collect some opinions about whether to do it and which style to use if
> we do change.
>
> Attached are three pdfs showing the various line styles.  The first is the
> current style, dash_50 uses 50% mark/50% space, dash_75 uses 75% mark/25%
> space.  Send back opinions to the maintainer's list.
>
> Cheers,
> Rik
>

> <dash_current.pdf><dash_50.pdf><dash_75.pdf>

RIk,

I prefer dash_50.pdf.

However, since we'll not all agree ... Is this something that can be set in the preferences?

Ben

On 07/02/2014 11:03 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 7/2/14
>>
>> All,
>>
>> If you take a look at the plot comparisons for plotyy_03 at
>> tech-chat.de/compare_plot_demos you will see that Octave uses a fairly
>> chunky dashed line for the '--' linestyle while both gnuplot and Matlab use
>> a slimmer dashed line.
>>
>> It is rather easy to change the appearance of our dashed line, but I wanted
>> to collect some opinions about whether to do it and which style to use if
>> we do change.
>>
>> Attached are three pdfs showing the various line styles.  The first is the
>> current style, dash_50 uses 50% mark/50% space, dash_75 uses 75% mark/25%
>> space.  Send back opinions to the maintainer's list.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rik
>>

>> <dash_current.pdf><dash_50.pdf><dash_75.pdf>
> RIk,
>
> I prefer dash_50.pdf.
>
> However, since we'll not all agree ... Is this something that can be set in the preferences?

The code that is affected is in gl-render.cc and is currently a compiled
constant so it isn't immediately available as a preference.  Of course,
things could be recoded so that the line primitive object had an additional
Octave-only property to set the mark/space ratio.  On the other hand, no
one to date has been so unhappy with the existing line style to want to do
that.  I think if we just pick something reasonable, including possible the
current style, then most people will be content enough.

--Rik

Re: Changing mark/space for dashed lines in plots

Andreas Weber-4
Am 02.07.2014 18:35, schrieb Rik:

> Attached are three pdfs showing the various line styles.  The first is the
> current style, dash_50 uses 50% mark/50% space, dash_75 uses 75% mark/25%
> space.  Send back opinions to the maintainer's list.

I would prefer dash_50
-- Andy

Re: Changing mark/space for dashed lines in plots

Carnë Draug
On 2 July 2014 17:35, Rik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Attached are three pdfs showing the various line styles.  The first is the
> current style, dash_50 uses 50% mark/50% space, dash_75 uses 75% mark/25%
> space.  Send back opinions to the maintainer's list.

I prefer the dash_50 too.

Carnë