Changing package file extension

12

Re: Changing package file extension

Søren Hauberg
tor, 29 01 2009 kl. 14:40 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> I don't see this as urgent either, but anything that reduces newbie
> confusion seems like a good idea to me, especially when it's such a
> minor cosmetic change. People complain *so much* when software doesn't
> work as expected that I'm starting to think it's easier to change the
> software than people's expectations.

At some point in the near future I have to get my act together and make
some long promised changes to the release process at Octave-Forge. When
I do this it won't be much more work to change the extension of
packages. Did you actually try to install a package with a .octpkg
extension? I just tried to rename a package I had on my disc, and I see

octave:1> pkg install statistics-1.0.4.octpkg
warning: unrecognised file type, .octpkg
A(I): Index exceeds matrix dimension.
error: called from `install' in
file /home/sh/Programmer//share/octave/3.1.51+/m/pkg/pkg.m near line
615, column 12
error: called from:
error:   /home/sh/Programmer//share/octave/3.1.51+/m/pkg/pkg.m at line
660, column 5
error:   /home/sh/Programmer//share/octave/3.1.51+/m/pkg/pkg.m at line
289, column 7

So, it seems like some actual change is needed for this to be an option.

Søren

Re: Changing package file extension

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
2009/1/29 Søren Hauberg <[hidden email]>:
> Did you actually try to install a package with a .octpkg
> extension? I just tried to rename a package I had on my disc, and I see

Oops. You're right. Another trivial little change was necessary.
Changeset attached (I think, I hope it's done properly).

What needs to be done in the 'Forge website? One giant s/\.tar\.gz/\.octpkg/ ?

- Jordi G. H.

octpkg.patch (2K) Download Attachment

tor, 29 01 2009 kl. 19:39 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> What needs to be done in the 'Forge website? One giant s/\.tar\.gz/\.octpkg/ ?

If we were keeping the current release system, then yes. However, the
current release system is broken in quite a few ways, so I'm in the
process of rewriting it. The main objective of this rewrite is to allow
package maintainers to decide when their package should be released,
instead of them relying on me making a release of all packages.

So, if you want to help out here, the main obstacle is to create scripts
that generate HTML pages for a given package. I have some code at
http://hauberg.org/generate_html that is mostly complete if you want to
have a look. By the way, this was my motivation for rewriting the help
system in core Octave.

Søren

12