Code of Conduct?

12

Re: Code of Conduct?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Alright, alright, alright, I get it.

Sorry, guys. I'll be nicer in the future. No need for a code of conduct.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Code of Conduct?

Søren Hauberg
On Dec 16, 2012, at 11:06 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> Alright, alright, alright, I get it.

Just for the record, my complaint was never about Jordi.

Anyway, it seems like there is not a clear agreement, so I'll just drop the suggestion.

But just so I can get a bit smarter: what is the proper way to deal with people that behave mean?

Søren

Re: Code of Conduct?

Michael Godfrey
On 12/16/2012 05:34 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:
> But just so I can get a bit smarter: what is the proper way to deal with people that behave mean?
History suggests that there is no answer to this question.
But at least, tolerance tends not to make things worse.

And remember G.B. Shaw: "Do not do unto others as you would have them
do unto you.  Their tastes may be different."

Re: Code of Conduct?

Alexander Hansen-2
On 12/16/12 4:04 PM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
> On 12/16/2012 05:34 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>> But just so I can get a bit smarter: what is the proper way to deal
>> with people that behave mean?
> History suggests that there is no answer to this question.
> But at least, tolerance tends not to make things worse.
>
> And remember G.B. Shaw: "Do not do unto others as you would have them
> do unto you.  Their tastes may be different."

Right.

And if someone semi-official issues a warning that someone's behavior is
out of line, that lets newer people know that being mean is outside of
the norms of the community.

Alex

Re: Code of Conduct?

Robert T. Short
On 12/16/2012 02:06 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> Alright, alright, alright, I get it.
>
> Sorry, guys. I'll be nicer in the future. No need for a code of conduct.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

No, even though Jordi irritated the crap out of me a while ago, it isn't
about Jordi.  Jordi is a major contributor and even if he was a constant
problem (which he isn't) we could forgive him a lot of sins because he
does add significantly to the octave value proposition.

Nobody wants to just come out and say it, but the individual in question
joined this list, started out calling everybody on the list names, and
has (to my knowledge) not contributed anything of value. The sad thing
is that the individual in question is often right about WHAT he would
like to see done, but has alienated a lot of people just by being
unpleasant and as a result is completely ineffective.

Jordi, the only advice I have (worth exactly what you are paying for it)
is that bickering with unpleasant people rubs off in unpleasant ways.

Bob

Re: Code of Conduct?

Paul Dreik-2

2012-12-16 23:34, Søren Hauberg skrev:

> On Dec 16, 2012, at 11:06 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> Alright, alright, alright, I get it.
>
> Just for the record, my complaint was never about Jordi.
>
> Anyway, it seems like there is not a clear agreement, so I'll just drop the suggestion.
>
> But just so I can get a bit smarter: what is the proper way to deal with people that behave mean?
>
> Søren

I guess RFC 1958 section 3.9 can be applied:
Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1958

Paul
12