Command not working.

Kunal Goswami
 Respected Sir/Madam, I am using a macbook pro running os x mavericks version 10.9.4, I installed octave from the wiki using the home-brew instructions. And the problem is whenever I try to use ‘help’ command it displays the following error.

error: unable to open /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/etc/macros.texi for reading
error: called from:
error:   /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/m/help/__makeinfo__.m at line 103, column 5
error:   /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/m/help/help.m at line 99, column 22

 Kindly tell me what to do to resolve it, and use the help command as normal.
 Thanking you in anticipation,
Kunal Goswami

Re: Command not working.

bpabbott
Administrator
On Aug 28, 2014, at 9:12 PM, Kunal Goswami <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Respected Sir/Madam, I am using a macbook pro running os x mavericks version 10.9.4, I installed octave from the wiki using the home-brew instructions. And the problem is whenever I try to use ‘help’ command it displays the following error.
>
> error: unable to open /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/etc/macros.texi for reading
> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/m/help/__makeinfo__.m at line 103, column 5
> error:   /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/m/help/help.m at line 99, column 22
>

> Kindly tell me what to do to resolve it, and use the help command as normal.
> Thanking you in anticipation,
> Kunal Goswami

I have built Octave on Mavericks and have installed it via Macports. I can confirm that the help command does works in each case.

It is likely that you don't have the necessary dependencies installed.  To install Octave, did you omit the docs?

        brew install octave --without-docs

If so, you'll need to reinstall with the docs and you'll also need to install a TeX distribution that is compatible with Homebrew.  I did a quick Google search and found the link below.  It appears that the Homebrew maintainers are working on the Octave formula and are looking for testers.

        https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/723

I suggest you follow up with them.

Ben

Hi,
I am facing the same problem because i installed octave on OSX without docs. Is there any way I can install the docs separately now without needing to reinstall whole Octave?

Re: Command not working.

bpabbott
Administrator

> On Oct 27, 2014, at 4:05 AM, coolwizardz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> bpabbott wrote
>> It is likely that you don't have the necessary dependencies installed.  To
>> install Octave, did you omit the docs?
>>
>>    brew install octave --without-docs
>>
>> If so, you'll need to reinstall with the docs and you'll also need to
>> install a TeX distribution that is compatible with Homebrew.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Hi,
> I am facing the same problem because i installed octave on OSX without docs.
> Is there any way I can install the docs separately now without needing to
> reinstall whole Octave?

It is technically possible, but getting all the details correct nay be a lot more difficult and time consuming than reinstalling octave.

You'll also need someone expert in Homebrew and in building Octave so that the needed missing parts can be identified and installed.

Ben