Communications package new release

Nir Krakauer-3
I recently committed a set of patches developed over the years by John
Donoghue to compile the package for Octave versions from 4.2 from 6.0
[1].

Mike, you're listed as the package maintainer. Do you plan to make a
new release?

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46521

Re: Communications package new release

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 19:30:47 -0500, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> I recently committed a set of patches developed over the years by John
> Donoghue to compile the package for Octave versions from 4.2 from 6.0
> [1].
>
> Mike, you're listed as the package maintainer. Do you plan to make a
> new release?

Hi Nir,

I don't think those patches are suitable for inclusion in the package,
which is why they hadn't been committed. But I can understand the need
for a working package with current versions of Octave, even if it's not
via an optimal solution.

A better solution would be to work on bug #47267 (and for which one
might claim a Bountysource bounty). Unfortunately no one has worked on
that bug yet, and the package is essentially stalled.

In summary, I don't want to release with these patches applied, but I
also don't want to hold up a community package. So if you want to
release it under your name, go ahead.

Re: Communications package new release

Nir Krakauer-3
Thanks, Mike. It's been almost 5 years and Octave versions since the
previous release, so I think I will prepare a new release, unless
someone else wants to. Should I keep you listed as the maintainer?

Also, it might be good to put your ideas on refactoring the package
under its page [1] or as a project [2] on the Wiki so that they'll
have a better chance of reaching interested developers.

--Nir

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Communications_package
[2] https://wiki.octave.org/Projects

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 14:56:18 -0500, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> Thanks, Mike. It's been almost 5 years and Octave versions since the
> previous release, so I think I will prepare a new release, unless
> someone else wants to. Should I keep you listed as the maintainer?

Please set yourself as maintainer for this release and go ahead.