Compilation error in ls-hdf5.cc

Ivan Sutoris
Hi

I have been trying to compile development version of Octave in
openSUSE 11.1. (after some problems in Cygwin, I decided to try real
Linux distro :) ) The compilation throws error in file /src/ls-hdf5.cc
(errors attached as text file), however HDF5 should be installed
correctly (it is detected with configure script). I got HDF from
distro's repositories [1], which provide version 1.8.1. That
(according to HDF website) is quite recent, with some changes when
compared to 1.6.x releases. Now,  I don't use (and I am not familiar
with) HDF, so I just configured and compiled octave without it, but I
guess this could be a problem for others (if the problem is indeed
incompatibility with new version), so I thought I should bring it to
attention.

Regards
Ivan Sutoris

[1] http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/opensuse/11.1/i586/hdf5-devel-1.8.1-29.7.i586.html

makeoutput.txt (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Compilation error in ls-hdf5.cc

Jaroslav Hajek-2
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Ivan Sutoris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been trying to compile development version of Octave in
> openSUSE 11.1. (after some problems in Cygwin, I decided to try real
> Linux distro :) ) The compilation throws error in file /src/ls-hdf5.cc
> (errors attached as text file), however HDF5 should be installed
> correctly (it is detected with configure script). I got HDF from
> distro's repositories [1], which provide version 1.8.1. That
> (according to HDF website) is quite recent, with some changes when
> compared to 1.6.x releases. Now,  I don't use (and I am not familiar
> with) HDF, so I just configured and compiled octave without it, but I
> guess this could be a problem for others (if the problem is indeed
> incompatibility with new version), so I thought I should bring it to
> attention.
>
> Regards
> Ivan Sutoris
>
> [1] http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/opensuse/11.1/i586/hdf5-devel-1.8.1-29.7.i586.html

This is a known problem. Octave will only work with hdf 1.6, because
no one has so far cared to update the relevant code to the newer
version.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert
Prague, Czech Republic
url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz

Re: Compilation error in ls-hdf5.cc

David Bateman

Jaroslav Hajek-2 wrote
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Ivan Sutoris <ivan.sutoris@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been trying to compile development version of Octave in
> openSUSE 11.1. (after some problems in Cygwin, I decided to try real
> Linux distro :) ) The compilation throws error in file /src/ls-hdf5.cc
> (errors attached as text file), however HDF5 should be installed
> correctly (it is detected with configure script). I got HDF from
> distro's repositories [1], which provide version 1.8.1. That
> (according to HDF website) is quite recent, with some changes when
> compared to 1.6.x releases. Now,  I don't use (and I am not familiar
> with) HDF, so I just configured and compiled octave without it, but I
> guess this could be a problem for others (if the problem is indeed
> incompatibility with new version), so I thought I should bring it to
> attention.
>
> Regards
> Ivan Sutoris
>
> [1] http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/opensuse/11.1/i586/hdf5-devel-1.8.1-29.7.i586.html

This is a known problem. Octave will only work with hdf 1.6, because
no one has so far cared to update the relevant code to the newer
version.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert
Prague, Czech Republic
url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz
It should be relatively simple to fix the code to support both 1.6 and 1.8 versions of HDF5. The only API changes that affect Octave as far as I can see are

Functions with Changed Syntax
The following function syntaxes have changed; the affected return values and parameter are noted as underscored red text.

C functions:
H5Fget_obj_count
    ssize_t H5Fget_obj_count( hid_t file_id, unsigned int types )

H5Fget_obj_ids
    ssize_t H5Fget_obj_ids( hid_t file_id, unsigned int types,
            size_t max_objs, hid_t *obj_id_list )
so a little bit of autoconf magic and some ifdef's in the code should fix the issue. I'll see if I can supply a patch.

D.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a known problem. Octave will only work with hdf 1.6, because
> no one has so far cared to update the relevant code to the newer
> version.
>

> --
> RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
> computing expert
> Aeronautical Research and Test Institute (VZLU)
> Prague, Czech Republic
> url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz

Thanks for reply, I tried to search the ML archive before posting but
not thoroughly enough I guess :).
Ivan Sutoris