Compiling Matlab package under Octave

Friedrich Heusler
Hi all,
I need to use a "easyspin" matlab toolbox (http://www.easyspin.org/) under
octave. The source of the package is open. Is it possible to compile and use
it under octave?

Thanks in advance,
Friedrich

Re: Compiling Matlab package under Octave

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 29 April 2012 06:31, Friedrich Heusler
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I need to use a "easyspin" matlab toolbox (http://www.easyspin.org/) under
> octave. The source of the package is open.

I don't know what gave you the idea that the source is available.
Easyspin, sadly, is non-free. The authors did not think that you or I
were worthy of reading their source code, since they hid it all under
p-code. A horrible thing Matlab can do is hide the source of m-files
in p-code, and the creators of Easyspin have decided to do this to us.

There is no hope of making this work in Octave without the source
code. Try contacting the authors to see if they can fix this.

- Jordi G. H.

2012/4/30 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]>:
> There is no hope of making this work in Octave without the source
> code. Try contacting the authors to see if they can fix this.

Reading their horrible license:

    3. You may not rent or sell any part of EasySpin.

    4. You may not use or modify EasySpin or a part of it for other
       software which is not freely available at no cost.

    5. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble
       EasySpin.

i.e. "you may not use this with Octave, and you are not free to modify
or understand how it works". By way of comparison, you may sell, rent,
modify, use, decompile, and reverse engineer Octave.

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Compiling Matlab package under Octave

Sergei Steshenko

> > There is no hope of making this work in Octave without
> the source
> > code. Try contacting the authors to see if they can fix
> this.
>
> Reading their horrible license:
>
>     3. You may not rent or sell any part of
> EasySpin.
>
>     4. You may not use or modify EasySpin or a
> part of it for other
>        software which is not freely
> available at no cost.
>
>     5. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or
> disassemble
>        EasySpin.
>
> i.e. "you may not use this with Octave, and you are not free
> to modify
> or understand how it works". By way of comparison, you may
> sell, rent,
> modify, use, decompile, and reverse engineer Octave.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

The license is not much worse than GPL.

They even promote free software:
"
4. You may not use or modify EasySpin or a part of it for other software which is not freely available at no cost.
".

And no, I do not believe that the only true definition of free software is the one of FSF.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Re: Compiling Matlab package under Octave

José Luis García Pallero
2012/4/30 Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

Mmmm..., the definition of FSF was the first about free software
concept, so I think that free software is the FSF definition of it
Others can give alternatives, but they should use another name in
order to distinguish

Cheers

José Luis García Pallero
[hidden email]
(o<
/ / \
V_/_
Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Re: Compiling Matlab package under Octave

Przemek Klosowski-7
On 04/30/2012 09:18 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> The license is not much worse than GPL.
>
> They even promote free software:
> "
> 4. You may not use or modify EasySpin or a part of it for other software which is not freely available at no cost.
> ".

Sure, they promote Free Software, but only by making their conditions so
contorted and unreasonable that in comparison FOSS looks golden. Let me
see: you can't modify EasySpin to make it work with Octave, AND you
can't modify it 'for other software which is not freely available'.
Makes perfect sense.

Re: Compiling Matlab package under Octave

Sergei Steshenko

> On 04/30/2012 09:18 AM, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
>>  The license is not much worse than GPL.
>>
>>  They even promote free software:
>>  "
>>  4. You may not use or modify EasySpin or a part of it for other software
> which is not freely available at no cost.
>>  ".
>
> Sure, they promote Free Software, but only by making their conditions so
> contorted and unreasonable that in comparison FOSS looks golden. Let me see: you
> can't modify EasySpin to make it work with Octave, AND you can't modify
> it 'for other software which is not freely available'. Makes perfect
> sense.
.

AFAIR, they don't say you can't modify EasySpin to work with Octave.

I think that if a P-code interpreter is implemented for/in Octave, EasySpin will just work with Octave the same way it works with Matlab.

Regards,
  Sergei.

On 7 May 2012 19:21, Sergei Steshenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that if a P-code interpreter is implemented for/in Octave,
> EasySpin will just work with Octave the same way it works with
> Matlab.

This is difficult. The explicit purpose of p-code is to encrypt code.
The p is for "protected," which is a euphemism for "restricted". We'd
have to decrypt whatever it is they're doing. It's really a form of
DRM, digital restrictions management.

- Jordi G. H.