Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

dkeck
The headline sounds dramatic but my actual question is almost lame and goes directly to Michael Goffioul.

I was searching for JIT and Octave and found [1] amongst others. Enabling JIT (jit_enable(1)) generated a completely wrong result for the given benchmark routine under 3.2 in [1] and lasted three times longer to execute than with JIT disabled (which gives to correct result of 1/9).

So I thought its time to get used to the magic (using and compiling the source) in the background.
The board search and [2], [3], [4] showed me that I will not come up with a proper result soon. Since I'd like to use Windows (not Linux and cross compiling) the 'Alternative' section in [2] seems to be a very nice entry point.

Michael Goffioul uploaded the VC10Libs.zip archive. My question is if I have overseen some repository somewhere or if you went out once and downloaded all the sources of all dependencies manually (it seems to be dozens of websites) came home again and put them altogether in your VS2008/2010. To ask simpler: How did you (Michael Goffioul) create this archive?

[1] https://sites.google.com/site/2bass2/report.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

[2] wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows
[3] http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer
[4] http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 12:03 -0700, dkeck wrote:
> How did you (Michael Goffioul) create this archive?

My understanding is that it is much more difficult to compile this
way. Windows is a very hostile OS for free development. Given the
amount of people who are able to compile MXE Octave (I count at least
five in recent mailing list history) vs the amount of people who have
been able to replicate Michael's build (I count zero), it's seems it's
actually much easier to cross-compile Octave from GNU/Linux into
Windows.

Isn't this a great opportunity for you to install a GNU/Linux
(virtual?) machine and see how the almost impossible becomes feasible?

- Jordi G. H.




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

tmacchant
> From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso 

> To: dkeck 
> Cc: octave-maintainers
> Date: 2014/7/24, Thu 06:14
> Subject: Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit
>
> On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 12:03 -0700, dkeck wrote:
>>  How did you (Michael Goffioul) create this archive?
>
> My understanding is that it is much more difficult to compile this
> way. Windows is a very hostile OS for free development. Given the
> amount of people who are able to compile MXE Octave (I count at least
> five in recent mailing list history) vs the amount of people who have
> been able to replicate Michael's build (I count zero), it's seems
> it's
> actually much easier to cross-compile Octave from GNU/Linux into
> Windows.
>
> Isn't this a great opportunity for you to install a GNU/Linux
> (virtual?) machine and see how the almost impossible becomes feasible?


I am now trying to build octave on windows 7 using mxe-build using
MinGW+ Msys tool chain.
Some dependencies are not able to built successfully but octave itself was able to be built.

I will report all build will be done well.

BTW, about the title of this thread

"Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit"

What do you want do?
Do you want to build 64bit binary on 32bit XP?
Why do you want to do it?

It is  better to try to build on windows 7 directly.
Windows XP is not suitable octave build because it is horribly slow.

Tatsuto

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

dkeck
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
[...] people who have been able to replicate Michael's build (I count zero), it's seems it's actually much easier to cross-compile Octave from GNU/Linux into Windows

Isn't this a great opportunity for you to install a GNU/Linux
(virtual?) machine and see how the almost impossible becomes feasible?

- Jordi G. H.
Zero sounds a little depressing ;)... Yes you are absolutely right it is a great opportunity but my laziness/procrastination kept me away from Linux until now. After a short time I always came back to Windows because I knew how to get things done there. For me its like shifting from Word to Latex ('quick and dirty' vs 'superior long term infrastructure') with a far greater overhead where you simply have to invest time that will hardly bring you a step forward concerning your actual work.

tmacchant wrote
"Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit"
What do you want do?
Do you want to build 64bit binary on 32bit XP?
Why do you want to do it?

It is  better to try to build on windows 7 directly.
Windows XP is not suitable octave build because it is horribly slow.
Tatsuto
Thanks for pointing out that it is so slow. Yes, I would like to compile the 64bit binary on 32bit OS. Why? For the challenge and for education. The more errors occur the more I should learn.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

tmacchant
> From: dkeck 

> To: octave-maintainers> Cc:
> Date: 2014/7/24, Thu 18:06
> Subject: Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit
>
> tmacchant wrote
>>  "Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit"
>>  What do you want do?
>>  Do you want to build 64bit binary on 32bit XP?
>>  Why do you want to do it?
>>
>>  It is  better to try to build on windows 7 directly.
>>  Windows XP is not suitable octave build because it is horribly slow.
>>  Tatsuto
>
> Thanks for pointing out that it is so slow. Yes, I would like to compile the
> 64bit binary on 32bit OS. Why? For the challenge and for education. The more
> errors occur the more I should learn.
>


I do not know whether 64 bit build on 32 bit windows is possible or not.
But first you should build cross-build gcc which gives 64 bit executable and compiler itself works on 32 bit windows. Perhaps it will be very difficult. 

Tatsuro

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

vinukn
In reply to this post by dkeck
I think octave 3.6.4 was the last visual studio version. I had tried to build octave 3.6.4 using visual studio,but no luck. Download all dependencies. You need a FORTRAN tool which supports vs. Use msys. be patient. Start build
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

Michael Goffioul
In reply to this post by dkeck
On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:06 AM, dkeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
> [...] people who have been able to replicate Michael's build (I count
> zero), it's seems it's actually much easier to cross-compile Octave from
> GNU/Linux into Windows
>
> Isn't this a great opportunity for you to install a GNU/Linux
> (virtual?) machine and see how the almost impossible becomes feasible?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Zero sounds a little depressing ;)...

It's not zero. I helped a few persons to get a MSVC-based environment that can build octave.
 
tmacchant wrote
> "Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit"
> What do you want do?
> Do you want to build 64bit binary on 32bit XP?
> Why do you want to do it?
>
> It is  better to try to build on windows 7 directly.
> Windows XP is not suitable octave build because it is horribly slow.
> Tatsuto

Thanks for pointing out that it is so slow. Yes, I would like to compile the
64bit binary on 32bit OS. Why? For the challenge and for education. The more
errors occur the more I should learn.

To answer your previous question, the VCLibs archive I posted was the results of several years of spare-time development (creating my own toolchain and porting every single dependency to MSVC compiler). More recently, I integrated most of that work into MXE and at some point, it was possible to compile octave with MSVC using MXE, though I'm sure it's not the case anymore, I haven't look into it for a while. If you want to give it a try, use "./configure --host=msvc" when configuring MXE.

However, I should point out that all the work I did was targeted at 32-bits platform. If you want to target 64-bits platform, there are some core parts that you'll have to handle yourself, for instance the bridge between gfortran and MSVC.

Michael.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

Michael Goffioul
In reply to this post by vinukn
On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM, vinukn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think octave 3.6.4 was the last visual studio version. I had tried to build
octave 3.6.4 using visual studio,but no luck. Download all dependencies. You
need a FORTRAN tool which supports vs. Use msys. be patient. Start build

I've used gfortran to create the latest MSVC-based octave binaries.

Michael.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

vinukn
Hm. What you think about mingw-w64 tool chain?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compiling Octave on WinXP32bit for Win764bit

Michael Goffioul
On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 8:31 AM, vinukn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hm. What you think about mingw-w64 tool chain?

Nothing, I've never tried it. But it doesn't really change much when you need to use MSVC.

Michael.