Console to text editor to go

Frigyes Reisch
Hello,

I am new to octave. After download I gat to console version and I was able to run the examples. When I go to SciTex  the run option is not enlighted, so I cannot run Octave from there. Can you please advise

Best regards
Frigyes Reisch
Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Console to text editor to go

Michael Grossbach
Frigyes Reisch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to octave. After download I gat to console version and I was able to run the examples. When I go to SciTex  the run option is not enlighted, so I cannot run Octave from there. Can you please advise
You use the editor for editing your m files and the console to run them.
HTH, Michael

Re: Console to text editor to go

Michael Grossbach
You type
 >>edit myfunction
in Octave which opens the editor Scite. In the editor you edit whatever
you want to have in your function file, and save it as myfunction.m in a
folder on the octave path. IIRC you're using Octave on Windows, so
%USERPROFILE%\octave would be a suitable folder (type echo %USERPROFILE%
in a cmd window to find out what the Windows variable %USERPROFILE%
resolves to on your system). After saving you can run myfunction from
Octave by typing at the prompt
 >>myfunction

HTH, Michael