Control of Excel cell formating when writing via the IO package

Control of Excel cell formating when writing via the IO package

ijourneaux
I was wondering if it was possible to control the cell formatting when writing to Excel using the IO package?

I am writing out floats to cells in an Excel workbook. I would prefer to write the entire number and use formatting to only display to a certain number of digits.
Thanks

Re: Control of Excel cell formating when writing via the IO package

Philip Nienhuis
ijourneaux wrote
I was wondering if it was possible to control the cell formatting when writing to Excel using the IO package?

I am writing out floats to cells in an Excel workbook. I would prefer to write the entire number and use formatting to only display to a certain number of digits.
Thanks
It *is* possible, but.....
For that you have to dive in the more esoteric features of ActiveX or the various Java libraries used in the IO package.
It isn't implemented in the io package, as that sort of code would be unduly complicated and unmaintainable. But once again: it is possible.

The Matlab news group on usenet (comp.com-sys.matlab) has many posts about this subject related to ActiveX.

In Octave, what I'd do in your situation:
Once you have written your data to spreadsheet, you can use the spreadsheet file ptr to access the newly adapted worksheet (have a look in the private routines to see how that works). Just do not amend the code in the read/write functions in the io package; preferrably use a dedicated private function or function in your own workspace (current dir or so).

The documentation on this subject is usually very good. The Java packages have extensive javadocs about how to get it together. As to ActiveX, I'd use the Visual Basic info in Excel itself - I think it was somewhere in some menu of Alt-F2 - you'd get an extensive on-line help with all imaginable commands etc.

The only interface I wouldn't use for that would be OCT - that interface directly accesses the xml files in the OOXML or ODS or gnumeric archive. While it's already a headache to keep track of just data, styles etc. are kept in separate xml files in those zipped/gzipped archives and indirectly refer to the data. There's very little info on exactly how styles in OOXML work in low-level (xml-level).
The Java-based and ActiveX/COM interfaces hide these gory details and provide a nice API to get to what you want.

Philip